Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you start Christmas shopping?

Options
  • 13-09-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Unbelievably we started getting orders for Christmas presents at the end of August!!!
    Now that':Ds some organised people

When do the rest of ye start? My wife is a bit more organised than me (around the end of October/ start of November) I'm more of a Christmas eve man myself lol!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

I'm finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

About lunch time christmas eve... Well most stuff anyway ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

I used to start as early as... well, whenever I saw something I thought my friends might like (and it was affordable for my budget). Except for a few last minute foodie items, I was usually done by the beginning of December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Christmas eve :pac:

No really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Usually the last minute, but this year I am planning to start around the end of Oct. I want it out of the way by mid Dec if I can.

Going to Dublin with the mammy next week, so might pick up a few bits then if I see anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I like to be finished by the end of October. Well that's all the main stuff. I like to leave little bits for Christmas Eve. In November / December I tend to do my brothers (plural) shopping.... They always get me the nicest gifts!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

I usually plan to buy a couple of things a week starting in September and usually end up buying one item in September and everything else in December. So far this year I have bought one Disney Princess tiara, so that's probably it now till December.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

murria wrote: »
    I usually plan to buy a couple of things a week starting in September and usually end up buying one item in September and everything else in December. So far this year I have bought one Disney Princess tiara, so that's probably it now till December.

This.

All great intentions, but I still end up running around like a lunatic for the few weeks beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Alicat wrote: »
    This.

All great intentions, but I still end up running around like a lunatic for the few weeks beforehand.

Ah well, it still gets done and the wreck-your-head music helps. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Going to start this year in November...have to save up first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

I'll start thinking about presents for nephew and nieces in October probably, the rest in mid December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We bought some stuff already and have a few more on the list for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 danceash

have started just this week, i like to have presents got early for everybody else, and then buy for myself if i see something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

End of october or november usually. No earlier than that but often be december. Usually have xmas shopping done then but often be last minute be a week or two before xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Usually end of October/November but this year I decided to be more organised, so I have my OH half bought for already. It's nice picking up bits here and there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Unbelievably we started getting orders for Christmas presents at the end of August!!!
    Now that':Ds some organised people

When do the rest of ye start? My wife is a bit more organised than me (around the end of October/ start of November) I'm more of a Christmas eve man myself lol!

24th December.......last second dash to the shops and cash tills.:pac::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Started last December for this year. Grab all the bargains in the sales and stick em away for the following year if it's feasible. Have a baby who will be one this xmas, so last year got a few Vtech baby stuff for 1 year + while it was half price.

Got other bits n bob presents in during the year if I had spare cash aside and a bargain was to be had. Son got a 3dsxl from Amazon.de when it was on special. All nieces n nephews are bought and put away over last few months as well. Only have to get 1 or 2 presents for herself and that's everyone sorted this year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Usually Sept but if I see something on offer I know that they want I buy it and put it away.
    This year I think it was August:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Usually Sept but if I see something on offer I know that they want I buy it and put it away.
    This year I think it was August:)
    That's what I've started doing this year too. All going well I'll have mine done by end of Nov. Only have one to get in Dec, that's my grannies, I get her a voucher for Dunnes as its the only thing she'll use so I get it about a week before Xmas usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Have started picking up bits and pieces and ordering things online as I see them ... it begins!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Do the whole ‘Kris Kindle’ bullocks in our family, but the draw usually ends up getting done at the last minute, which is a pain in the hole. Also a pain in the hole is the fact that some of us are living abroad, meaning hassle if we buy stuff in our home countries having to drag it over, and hassle figuring out what to buy for people I haven’t seen in a year, and having to keep the size of presents down in case the person receiving the gift has a small baggage allowance.
    So very often on the 23rd or 24th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJudy

Started in August this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭RumTumTiger

Started making the presents last week. Will supplement the handmade items with a token bought item in the next few weeks. Last year I started making them in nov and was a bit rushed. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

I ordered stuff on line last week. But in my defence I have to wait for stuff to be delivered then combine them into a couple of boxes that have to go to Canada and Australia for family members who have moved there in the last two years. I suppose I could use Canadian and Australian websites but a few of the things I'm ordering that isn't possible. Cheapest way to order stuff is on line. Cheapest way to send stuff overseas is well in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Probably gonna order most of it end of October through amazon

I'm finished for ages. But I also have enough stuff bought for next year. I have a horrible fear that something will happen to me and DH wouldn't really know what to buy*.

*I'm also a shopaholic who has a Dad that worries about my spending habits and threatens to take my cards :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I bought all my Christmas decorations in jan and feb when they were on offer!:D

Generally pick up bits and bobs for the gf from end if October onwards, depends what I see though.
    Parents are handy to buy for so that can be done whenever.

Scortho, I find my parents hardest to buy for. My mother hates perfume, makeup, holidays all those things I love to get. Dad bought her a new ipad for her birthday and she loves it, but thats been done now.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Scortho, I find my parents hardest to buy for. My mother hates perfume, makeup, holidays all those things I love to get. Dad bought her a new ipad for her birthday and she loves it, but thats been done now.........

My parents love to go out for meals to nice restaurants but with work commitments and the recession it's hard to justify taking the time off and spending the money on a fancy meal.
    A voucher for 100 euro makes a night out for them to say chapter ones etc. Justifiable.

I absolutely hate getting vouchers myself as I'm forced to spend it on something I mightn't particularly want, but they really like them for fancy restaurants thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Started!! phew delighted now. Must say this forum is a good encouragement to get out there early! Thanks :)

Advertisement