Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you start Christmas shopping?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Scortho, I find my parents hardest to buy for. My mother hates perfume, makeup, holidays all those things I love to get. Dad bought her a new ipad for her birthday and she loves it, but thats been done now.........

itunes vouchers? nice head phones?netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Hi Moonbeam,

Your mother sounds like mine.

One time I got her an O2 money card with a decent sum of money on it. You can get this card for €5 in the O2 shop. Give them your mother name and put on it c/o your name and your address. Give them your mobile phone number also.
    They will send you a pin number for this card. Once you get this information go to the O2 website and set up the account on line. You can then change the address and when you give her the card change the mobile phone number on account to her mobile.
    She can use the card on the internet to buy what she wants, can see the balance on the internet, can top it up in the O2 shop or get a top up in a payzone shop by asking for an O2 money top up and she does this like a mobile top up.
    The advantage of this is that most older adults don't like using debit/credit card on the internet in case of fruad.
    This card can be used with amazon ect. Also if she has the i-pad you could get her a nice cover for this or buy a keyboard she can plug into this.

Great ideas folks! Thanks a mil :)

I don't think she would enjoy a Sylvanian playset....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Scortho, I find my parents hardest to buy for. My mother hates perfume, makeup, holidays all those things I love to get. Dad bought her a new ipad for her birthday and she loves it, but thats been done now.........

Well if she loved the iPad and if they have wifi in the house I've another tech suggestion. Do they have a TV with a hdmi port? If so what about a 4ife android TV stick (~€90) with the RTE Player app installed? You will have set it up for her BUT my bet is she'll love it. The 50+ generation seem to LOVE RTE and RTE on demand on their TV is like crack cocaine once they get the hang of it.

touts wrote: »
    Well if she loved the iPad and if they have wifi in the house I've another tech suggestion. Do they have a TV with a hdmi port? If so what about a 4ife android TV stick (~€90) with the RTE Player app installed? You will have set it up for her BUT my bet is she'll love it. The 50+ generation seem to LOVE RTE and RTE on demand on their TV is like crack cocaine once they get the hang of it.

Another great idea. I'm not in the slightest bit technical, but my sister will know re the tv, its only about a year old, so I'm sure it would be compatible.....WIFI is in the house though. We haven't seen much of her since she got her new ipad :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Abigayle

Unbelievably we started getting orders for Christmas presents at the end of August!!!
    Now that':Ds some organised people

When do the rest of ye start? My wife is a bit more organised than me (around the end of October/ start of November) I'm more of a Christmas eve man myself lol!

I think I started around the end of August myself. It wasn't something I did intentionally to start out with, I just saw some offers on toys in Tesco and thought they'd be great for the nieces and nephews.

In hindsight, I think it's been in my head for a while and I've been worried about getting everything sorted on time. I need to add to the collection soon, can't believe it's so close =/

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJudy

Boots didn't have any Christmas brochures today:(

Pennys has Christmas stock in!!

As does Next

would love to go to Brown Thomas, heard their Christmas stock is lovely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

JJudy wrote: »
    would love to go to Brown Thomas, heard their Christmas stock is lovely

It is but it's pricy.

rathwood also has Christmas stock

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I have half my shopping done and most of my pudding ingredients, so starting them at the weekend.

Actually, has anyone seen any nice pudding bowls around?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrBizzles

Usually start early November & then spend about 8 weeks hoping the girlfriend and that dont find them!!

Question - why do women go rooting around the house trying to find their present?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think the question should be why does your girlfriend go rooting around the house trying to find her present? :pac:
    Myself, and most women I know don't try and ruin the surprise for themselves. Even as a child I could be trusted in the same room as the presents and not be tempted to sneak a peek!

Could you leave her gifts in a friend/family member's house if she's so keen to look for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrBizzles

Posy wrote: »
    I think the question should be why does your girlfriend go rooting around the house trying to find her present? :pac:
    Myself, and most women I know don't try and ruin the surprise for themselves. Even as a child I could be trusted in the same room as the presents and not be tempted to sneak a peek!

Could you leave her gifts in a friend/family member's house if she's so keen to look for them?

She does be asking for clues and everything, i came home from work one day & my wardrobe was turned upside down! So last year i left a fake present hidden away in a place i knew she would look & it worked a treat. She was very suprizrd on christmas morning

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

"Now she'll really be surprised when she gets that ironing board cover." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Signature Styler

Posy wrote: »
    "Now she'll really be surprised when she gets that ironing board cover." :pac:

haha!!! If my boyfriend got me this, I would kill him!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Signature Styler

MrBizzles wrote: »
    She does be asking for clues and everything, i came home from work one day & my wardrobe was turned upside down! So last year i left a fake present hidden away in a place i knew she would look & it worked a treat. She was very suprizrd on christmas morning

hmm this sounds like me!!

Hate surprises :) some women are weird like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 shazbaz 100

started xmas shopping july straight away after school stuff was sorted nearly finished just few odds and ends to pick up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SilSil

I'll definitely start my Christmas shopping on 24th of December :D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

Just started this week, four presents down and four to go!:) Let the wrapping begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Freddo123

I tend to start early/mid November and pick up as much as I can over a couple of weeks. (not a big money earner) And I would be done by the first week of December.

Last week I put money away to start and the following day I got a new job. So this year, since I'll be paid monthly I'll be starting December. I might have a bit to be able to pick up one or two things in November. I don't have many people to buy for anyway. Only around 8 people.

Advertisement