Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i have this type of bathroom light in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

mel.b wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it possible to use this light in Ireland?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/ixl-tastic-original-3-in-1-bathroom-heater_p4442438

Can you get them in Ireland? If not, and if they are ok to use my mum is sending me a big box of stuff that i have in Oz for my new house, so i will get her to buy me one and include it :)

They used to be on the market here.Dont know if they are still available haven't seen one in about 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

That is the standard bathroom light in every bathroom in China too.

I dare say you can have it cheaper than 173 Aussies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Saw it in Tubs and Tiles a few years ago. Haven't been in the shop since.

A wall mounted fan heater might be an option also.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

what it comes down to is what is the IP rating basically water ingress

here is a site that explanes what rating is required where in a bathroom

http://www.toplightco.com/acatalog/Zones___IP__ingress_Protection__Ratings.html

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

I installed one in a friends house a couple of years ago, just remember that the extractor piping will need access to an outside wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

looking at that fitting there seems to be exposed bulbs not covered by a shield i don't think this kind of light is Legal in Ireland and might Void some home insurances, in Ireland you can not have a non pull-cord switch inside the bathroom. never mind exposed bulbs due to a splash could give broken glass and potential for walking on glass is so high

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

fleet wrote: »
    That is the standard bathroom light in every bathroom in China too.

I dare say you can have it cheaper than 173 Aussies!

Thanks, probably can :) just wanted to throw up a quick picture so people knew what i was talking about.
    dingding wrote: »
    Saw it in Tubs and Tiles a few years ago. Haven't been in the shop since.

A wall mounted fan heater might be an option also.

Will give them a call & find out
    what it comes down to is what is the IP rating basically water ingress

here is a site that explanes what rating is required where in a bathroom

http://www.toplightco.com/acatalog/Zones___IP__ingress_Protection__Ratings.html

Hope this helps :)

Thanks, that is useful. According to the product information there is no IP rating, but it does say in that link that a lot of lights do not have an IP rating.
    minzabud wrote: »
    I installed one in a friends house a couple of years ago, just remember that the extractor piping will need access to an outside wall

There are some models available that allow extraction into the attic space. This is something i need to look at anyway as the survey picked up that the current fan i have in the ensuite is only extracting into the attic and is not then connected to the outside.
    looking at that fitting there seems to be exposed bulbs not covered by a shield i don't think this kind of light is Legal in Ireland and might Void some home insurances, in Ireland you can not have a non pull-cord switch inside the bathroom. never mind exposed bulbs due to a splash could give broken glass and potential for walking on glass is so high

Can anyone comment on this? I presume the switch could still be outside the room as oer the current setup? There is no chance of splash as it is going into an ensuite with shower only.

Thanks for the help so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

mel.b wrote: »

Can anyone comment on this? I presume the switch could still be outside the room as oer the current setup? There is no chance of splash as it is going into an ensuite with shower only.

Thanks for the help so far :)
    In laymans terms ,if you can touch/remove a bulb without haven too remove a steam/splash proof protective cover then the light won't be allowed and will void your house insurance in case of accident.

Advertisement