Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research Master Opportunity

Options
  • 13-09-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I've been offered the possibility of pursuing a research master in an IT. This is a two year position and the IT is offering me a pay of 400 euro a month.

I do not know anyone whom as done a research master before and do not know if this kind of pay is standard however I would like to ask the question in this forum.

Does this kind of pay rate look suspect to anyone or is it the norm for poorly funded ITs?

Another point, the person offering me this position is telling me that the project is funded by the EPA.

Can someone help me with this?

Many thanks in advance,

Bombesly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Bombesly wrote: »
    Does this kind of pay rate look suspect to anyone or is it the norm for poorly funded ITs?
    It looks quite low for a stipend, but it all depends on the funding. But why are you assuming that ITs, specifically, are poorly funded? The Irish third-level sector in general is underfunded, but that’s more of a concern for undergrads than research postgrads.
    Bombesly wrote: »
    Another point, the person offering me this position is telling me that the project is funded by the EPA.

Can someone help me with this?
    I’m not sure I understand your second question?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bombesly

Hi,

many thanks for the answer. There has been some development since last week and I finally found out that this master is originally founded by the IT itself, never mind the pay. My new question are as followed:

Is it possible to get any kind of aid from the Government while during the two years? I am currently on the welfare and have no over mean whatsoever.

I am 40 years of age and from an HR point of view is having a master degree at that age changes anything as to what it say about you and your employability?

The last point, does undergoing your master at the same Uni/IT as your degree is negative to your image for future employment opportunities?

Many thanks in advance.

BY

Advertisement