Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garda Headquarters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

There was talk a number of years ago of this. Apparently it will go on mulgrave street alongside a new district courthouse in the land beside the prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

pigtown wrote: »
    The linked article from the Irish Times claims that a new Limerick garda divisional headquarters is to be offered for tender as a Public Private Partnership next year. Cork and Wexford will also get one. As of now this is the only reference I can see of it, it's not on the governments PPP website.

If true then it would allow the last major site on the quays between Sarsfield and Shannon bridges to be redeveloped. I wonder would it be better to redevelop the existing station or find a new site in the city.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/ireland-back-in-vogue-with-the-world-s-infrastructure-investors-1.1525468?page=1
    Apt username is apt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

:)
    source wrote: »
    There was talk a number of years ago of this. Apparently it will go on mulgrave street alongside a new district courthouse in the land beside the prison.

I doubt that it would be far too close to Roxboro garda station. My bet would be a site somewhere north side of the Shannon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

D Trent wrote: »
    :)

I doubt that it would be far too close to Roxboro garda station. My bet would be a site somewhere north side of the Shannon

The idea is to put the new divisional HQ near the new courts building and prison. The physical proximity to roxboro doesn't matter a toss.

This is about ease of access and having all the services on the one site, there are plans to link the three by underground tunnels to make prisoner transport between the three services more secure and help cut down on prisoner transport costs.

Also there is a large site right beside the prison, not sure what's in there now, but it used to be an artillery barracks pre Independence which would be a perfect size site to put this plan into action. (Very little to no demolition required)

There was an article in the local papers about it a number of years ago, can't find it now as I'm on mobile, will look for it tonight.

Edit: also they will not move the divisional HQ out of the city centre area, doing so and moving to the north side would mean putting the busiest station in the city into a residential area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The yard in question is, or at least was, owned by the Dept. of Defence.
    when it was known as costelloes yard that was simply because a guy named M. Costelloe had a long-term lease on it.
    But every year all the tenants had to 'technically' vacate their premises, and 'break' their lease.
    Although they really should have emptied their premises of all their property, all that ever happened was that they would close down for one day every year.
    This was to ensure that they didn't have any legal right to continue renting their unit, should the Dept ever want to use the yard again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Yeah that site is owned by the state and if I remember correctly there was a court action taken a couple of years back by some businesses operating from there against an attempt by the Department of Justice/Defence to kick them out.

Is there any activity in there these days or is the site locked up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

So was this confirmed in the budget? The Indo are reporting new headquarters for some places, Limerick wasn't mentioned though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Vanquished wrote: »
    Is there any activity in there these days or is the site locked up?

No. Completely derelict at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Budget 2015
    Galway, Wexford and Kevin St Dublin new Garda stations progressing,
    Limerick not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

That's a shame. Would be good to see it moved out of there.

What's the latest with moving the district court?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I don't think a site has even been chosen for the new Garda headquarters!

The last I read about the courts complex was that three candidates had been shortlisted and that the contract would be awarded to the successful consortium in late 2015!

Frustratingly but predictably slow progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I thought it was the courts moving there.not the gardai. Thought the cops had bought the old building next door to henry street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Vanquished wrote: »
    I don't think a site has even been chosen for the new Garda headquarters!

I understand that a few years back they were looking at locating across the river to Cleeves yard (across from the old factory), but it wasn't a firm plan as far as I know.

Advertisement