Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weed with red roots

• 13-09-2013 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

I've googled this and cant find it anywhere. Sorry I don't have a picture.
    Its a weed with dark red/wine coloured small leaves and red roots. Looks a bit like clover/shamrock. Has a tiny trumpet shaped orange flower. Its actually quite pretty!

Spreading fast through my flower beds. Puts down lots of legs and is impossible to pick, have to dig it out. It basically just covers the ground.
    Have never seen it before but want to stop it from spreading everywhere.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

Sounds like oxalis, which has several forms, some green, some red or copper coloured. It usually comes in with plants bought in garden centres either as a small plant or through seeds hidden in the soil. I got rid of mine (well almost) through a combination of digging out, mulching, and Roundup (they have a handy gel dispenser which you rub on the plant). You have to keep after it though, it's quite persistent. Try looking up oxalis on the Internet to see if its what you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Yes, does sound like Oxalis. I used a weed burner with some success but it is a bugger to get rid of, just when you think you've seen the last of it, it pops up somewhere else. It can even grow up through shrubs, like a climber. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Thanks guys, that's it alright. I regret the day I first saw it in the garden and decided to let it grow. For the first few years in the house I was always finding little things that others had planted before me, I thought this was another one of those surprises! I usually find weeding quite therapeutic but this one is a real pain.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement