Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lacken to Ballyknockenn the lake shore

Options
  • 13-09-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi

Anyone know if this can be done. East west mapping show paths to the lake but does't show if there is a path on the lake.
    I have an old book by David Herman and part of one of his old walks is on the shore betwen lacken to ballyknocken.

Also anyone know if there is a path down from Moanbane by Cock Brook/Ballynastockan Brook to the road.

Thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Hmm.. let me know if you find a lakeshore path as I'm doing some updating of that sheet. I didn't spot one in original survey but sometimes these features are small. You have a few biggish streams entering along that section, particularly if there was heavy rain.. which might be awkward.

Re Cock Brook etc, I'm fairly sure there's no path along the stream. I recall being there to look at Cloghnagulleen and headed to the farm SW of this to get to road.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Thanks BarryD

Sure will let you know?

Is there a right of way track to this farm house? I was thinking of Kyle Lane. Although there is a house at the end of it.

Thx

I wouldn't think there's a right of way per se. You might be able to follow the banks of the stream when vegetation has died back - heavily covered in bracken when I last looked at it. There's a good bit of new housing along the lake road since the days of JB Malone and even David Herman's books, so access is not as handy as in days of yore. The closest agreed route to where you talk of is the agreed access route from Kylebeg, not far away at all. If you want to go via the stream, I'd just ask in the houses there to go up and look at the mass rock etc. and carry on up river afterwards. If it's just yourself or a couple of people, I doubt if there'd be any problem at all.

Walked from Lacken to Ballyknockenn on the lake shore today. The shore is rugged. Took about an hour. There is no path per se but lots of man tracks.
    The shore is 10 to 50 meters wide in places. All the streams are easily passable.

'Man tracks' = bits of paths? Bear in mind that it mightn't be easy at other times, presume reservoir is lowish at present given dry spells. Also I'd guess that Cock or Shiney Flags Brook would be impassable in a wet spell as it drains a good sized valley.

On related note, I saw roadworks last week south of Blessington, where the reservoir abuts the N81. This is I think to put in a walkway linking the lakeshore route between Blessington, Burgage and all way down to Russborough.

• Advertisement

Know of a guy working on the walkway. Its going all the way around the lake, 27miles I believe.

That'll take a while, given usual rate of progress and typical cost per metre ..

Advertisement