Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 36: Baked Cannelloni

Options
  • 14-09-2013 12:49am
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All, sorry for the late post and the crappy photos. I only have the camera on my phone these days!

So I thought I'd go for something vegetarian and healthy and most importantly.... super tasty and super easy! Baked cannelloni! Here goes... and I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:

8-10 cannelloni tubes
    A few fresh basil leaves
    Parmesan cheese
    200g fresh spinach
    200g cottage cheese
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1 egg yolk
    1 carton of passata (approx 400g)
    pinch of sugar
    1 clove of garlic
    salt and pepper

8p2aHd.jpg

Method:

put the spinach in a large pot with 2-3 tbsp of water and let it cook gently for approx 5 mins until the spinach has wilted down and is a deep green colour, and chop it up.

4Gmfnb.jpg

in a separate bowl, put the cottage cheese, egg yoke, some of the basil, nutmeg, salt and pepper together and mix.

5Q7XV8.jpg

add in the spinach and mix

5fmqfY.jpg

then fill the cannelloni tubes. I find it easier to do this with your hands or use a piping bag.

5dNYLt.jpg

then in a separate bowl put the passata, garlic, the pinch of sugar, the rest of the basil and some salt and pepper and mix and pour over the cannelloni then sprinkle on some parmesan cheese

84xZay.jpg

Bake at 180 for approx 40 minutes and then serve. I love it with side salad, or just vegetables.

Enjoy :)

4HFmzP.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I adore spinach and ricotta cannelloni so will definitely give this one with cottage cheese a go. Is there much difference between these two cheeses?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I've actually never tasted ricotta cheese for some reason, and have only ever made it with cottage cheese so I have nothing to compare it with, Sorry. But the cottage cheese is really good in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Forgot to say that I made this on Saturday. I was looking for something quick, easy and tasty to make for dinner, and luckily enough this delivered on all 3. Really nice dish.

Next time I make it i think I'll double up because the dish I have fits exactly 16 Cannelloni tubes. I also think the oven (new house) was too hot as it was done in 30 minutes.

Was surprised to see Cottage Cheese used instead of Ricotta but was willing to give it a go. I always follow recipes to the letter on the first try, and then adjust if needs be. The Cottage Cheese is much healthier though.

Just on the quantities, I used 250g fresh spinach 250g cottage cheese and just about enough to fill 8 tubes, I did use a piping bag (plastic bag with corner cut off!) to fill them, so maybe that was a factor.

No pics unfortunately, but thanks for the recipe OP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Excellent recipe. Italian is my lifeblood and I adore Cannelloni so you can imagine how thrilled I am with this recipe. A nice crunchy side salad and a glass of Venetian wine and perfecto :)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I did use a piping bag (plastic bag with corner cut off!) to fill them

Quick Q -- is it an elephant super strong plastic you're using? I've used one of the ziplocks, which I thought was fairly durable, and it kept bursting. I'd then stuff the tubes by hand.
    I've quit using cannelloni tubes now and instead I'd roll up the filling in fresh lasagne sheets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Quick Q -- is it an elephant super strong plastic you're using? I've used one of the ziplocks, which I thought was fairly durable, and it kept bursting. I'd then stuff the tubes by hand.
    Ha, not quite. I have a box of small freezer bags that come in a roll, that i never use for freezing because they're not ziplocks (you're supposed to just tie them, which is a bit useless. The plastic is closer to what you'd get in a standard carrier bag rather that the clear plastic you get in the ziplocks, which probably makes them more durable. I think they're Dunnes own brand, I'll check later and let you know.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I've quit using cannelloni tubes now and instead I'd roll up the filling in fresh lasagne sheets.
    I think these would've been pretty impossible to fill without piping them tbh, so I can see why you went with sheets.

I honestly just find picking it up with my hands and stuffing it the easiest. It's whatever is handiest for you. I have a crap loadof piping bags that I got on eBay so check that out because they are cheap as chips and so handy to have. You could also use grease proof paper to pipe if your bag isn't sturdy enough. Just roll it into the shape of a large cone and use Sellotape to hold together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Chewy, so want to try this - have to source gluten free pasta that's edible first :(

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

juke wrote: »
    Chewy, so want to try this - have to source gluten free pasta that's edible first :(

I get a corn one in dunnes. It's in a green packet and it's really good

juke wrote: »

Supervalu also do a fabulous range of gluten free now! Hope you can find it :)

• Advertisement

Made the cannelloni for dinner this evening, along with some meatballs on the side to cater the carnivores.
    It was a simple dish to prepare, although I still had to stuff the tubes by hand. The mixture filled up 8 tubes.
    Glad I tried cottage cheese, it's nice and light, but I still prefer ricotta for it's creaminess.
    Thanks OP.
    006_zps9dcc148d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

That looks so good I think I'll put it in my bucket list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

For some reason I assumed the recipe was ricotta not cottage cheese so that's what I bought! Woops. It was still lovely, so moreish. I put some mushrooms in the tomato sauce, as they needed to be used up.

I've not made this without a cheesy sauce before but I really liked it, nice and quick mid-week dinner. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'll be making this tomorrow with lasagne sheets and various left over cheeses from x-mass and a bit of goats cheese. I refuse to buy more cheese till the little bits in the fridge are gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Made this last night and it was great! I had to use lasagna sheets so just part-boiled them and then rolled them into tubes. Didn't have enough cottage cheese so mixed in about 30% feta - it tasted lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I blitzed various cheeses in the processor and added goats cheese and spinach.

The tomatoe sauce was lovely and so simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Im vegetarian and made this on Wednesday evening, and it was delicious! When I cook for my parents, its hard to keep them happy unless there is meat on the plate, but they loved it! My dad even had it again yesterday, and my mother just rang from the supermarket asking for the ingredients so she can make it herself. I added some chilli flakes into the passata to spice it up a bit. Thanks for such a fab recipe!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made this tonight. I was a little skeptical because I've never had cottage cheese (nor have I wanted to!) and I'm not a huge fan of tomato sauces. Nonetheless, I'm trying to eat more vegetarian meals. I made a few modifications: I put the tomato sauce at the bottom, made a béchamel sauce to go over the top, and I sprinkled it with sunflower seeds for a crunch (I wanted pine nuts, but the shop didn't have any).

Verdict: Delicious! It was really moreish and tasty. I actually think the béchamel was unnecessary and, the next time, I'll try it without. The cottage cheese was creamy enough - and not manky like I thought it would be!

I'll definitely make this again :)

Oh, also, I had to on its own, but next time, I'd definitely have a crunchy green salad and a cold glass of white wine ;)

Advertisement