Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended place to get a Syrian Hamster in Dublin Area?

• 14-09-2013 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭

So the family hamster died on Monday and the family is in mourning, but we will probably get a replacement in the coming weeks, just wondering are there any recommended Syrian Hamster breeders out there or any pet stores? We did buy our dearly departed hamster from Maxi Zoo.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

American Embassy.

I'm so sorry I'm drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I did not think the Syrians in Maxi Zoo were great however Petstop in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre regularly have lovely Syrians. I have gotten several long lived hamsters from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Sorry to hear about your ham. :(

I would recommend Shaunas Pet Shop on Capel St (near the river). She either breeds herself or has a breeder she uses because I was chatting to her a while back and she was telling me about the different combinations she was looking into to get certain coats, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rere

I'd second the pet shop in blanchardstown.
    They're around 12e. I think the ones they had were winter whites, which just means their coat gets a bit lighter in winter.

I was in the petstop in santry today and they had a few there too for about 15e (I think). There was a really cute beige pair there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

rere wrote: »
    I'd second the pet shop in blanchardstown.
    They're around 12e. I think the ones they had were winter whites, which just means their coat gets a bit lighter in winter.

I was in the petstop in santry today and they had a few there too for about 15e (I think). There was a really cute beige pair there too.

Winter whites are a dwarf breed, not a syrian breed. And you should never buy a pair of syrians and house them together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yes know about the Syrian's and not housing them together, our last Hamster was female, and she was lovely but apparently according to the assistant vet in she had Cystitis, the only thing I'll say about the situation with regards this vet is that I took our hamster on Saturday she was left home with antibiotics and pain killer (she was lively on Saturday climbing cage etc), Sunday she was poorly Monday back saw main vet who advised kidneys were failing and had to have her put down :( Not really happy with first vet as if hamster was that sick they should have really advised to keep it in. Personally think the prescribed medicines were to strong for her system.

Anyway maybe we might get a male hamster this time.

Just wondering with the likes of Pet shop in blanchardstown do the hamsters come from hamster breeding farms? Would hate to get a hamster with a genetic disorder due to inbreeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

One of the staff was breeding hamsters for Petstop. I also used to give them some. The hamster I have at the moment is from there. She is very strong, very bright & healthy but you need a very strong cage for her. There have been some great escapes from regular hamster cages.

Maybe give them a ring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I'll start my searching next week, Have a strong large cage from Maxizoo, just need to do another clean down on it. will check Petstop and the place in Capel street. thanks

Advertisement