Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ExPat Shield charging?

Options
  • 14-09-2013 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭

I went to use ExPat Shield this evening and it asked to pay a $5 Monthly access fee.

:eek:

Has it been hacked? Is this right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I went to use ExPat Shield this evening and it asked to pay a $5 Monthly access fee.

:eek:

Has it been hacked? Is this right?

Use Mozillas proxy. Expat shield has all these infections following it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

There's quite a few vpn services out there it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

Same thing happened me. Have you found a good alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

No. Not that I can find. In fact what I have found is that VPN services usually charge around that much and that there's quite a few of them around. I looked at a few, some charge more too.
    Some of them will give you a menu to select which country you want your network to originate from.
    ANyway I think i'm going to go ahead and give ExPatShield my $5 and see how it goes.:mad:

I need my tuesday Great British Bake off fix dammit...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Use Hola Unblocker.

Free for Chrome/Firefox etc and works great for me.

Unblock scripts available here:
    https://www.facebook.com/HolaUnblockerScripts?fref=ts

Also available for Android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

I used overplay for my VPN probably the best allows for connections to a number of locations and works out at 10$ per month

Expat shield is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Overplay is good, they also have a product called smartdns which only costs $4.95 per month. In most cases this would be all you need and it is better than using a VPN as all it does is fool the server you're connecting to into thinking you are in a the correct region and then all traffic is sent over your own internet connection, so you are not at the mercy of the VPNs speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jester77 wrote: »
    Overplay is good, they also have a product called smartdns which only costs $4.95 per month. In most cases this would be all you need and it is better than using a VPN as all it does is fool the server you're connecting to into thinking you are in a the correct region and then all traffic is sent over your own internet connection, so you are not at the mercy of the VPNs speed.

Actually it doesn't, its DNS just replaces the IP address of the server your actually contacting with its own forward proxy.

So the traffic is going over an Overplay server and then to iPlayer or whatever.

Akamai and the like have been doing it for years already ... just not to circumvent region restrictions.

In anycase, I had overplay for a year, it was pretty good but Hola costs me nothing and works just as well.

If you want to use a Playstation/apple TV or something then Overplay or something similar is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Yeah I use it for PS3 and my Roku box works well for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

try Media Hint extension for Chrome - it's not on Play Store but installs and works flawlessly so far... me need my Horizon fix!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
Advertisement