Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to break it to my boyfriend that he's going to be a dad!

Options
  • 14-09-2013 7:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi all,

So I found out I'm pregnant, still in shock an flipping between 'my life is over' and 'I love that name' It wasn't planned but I'm 100% definitely keeping it. I'm terrified of telling my boyfriend. We're both 26 so it's not like we're only 15 but its just really bad timing! It sounds so stupid but I'm sitting here thinking... Oh I better not tell him today the united match is on, but I can't tell him tomorrow because he's going out blah blah. Do I just blurt it out!? What do I say!? How did you's tell your other halves?

Ps, I'm kinda relieved there's a reason behind me being so emotional the past few days, cried at the Andrex ad! Haha!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd suggest having a nice romantic meal together at home , break it to him during dessert, trust me , thats the best time :D
    Oh and huuuuge congrats by the way !!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

sounds about right

maybe drop a few hints..... use the phrase "in my condition" a lot........

no wait, after hours is that way....

stick with the meal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Do not tell him about an unplanned pregnancy in a public place anyway. He will think it's an ambush.

Tell him some morning over breakfast. While you are not in the middle of mrning sickness!

Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Don't drag it out, just tell him as soon as possible. There is never the perfect time or place.

Also, don't take his first reaction as set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Tell him right now. There will NEVER be a 'right' time to tell him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    Don't drag it out, just tell him as soon as possible. There is never the perfect time or place.

Also, don't take his first reaction as set in stone.

+1 on the reaction. My husband was in shock when I told him that I was pregnant with our planned baby. I didn't think he wanted it.
    He loves our son more than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Razorfish

I'm a guy and my advice is to tell him over breakfast this morning. While unplanned his reaction may surprise you in terms of being excited. I was told of our first (shes now nearly 3) like this and within 5 minutes was so excited. His reaction may surprise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

I told him, just kinda blurted it out. His reaction was amazing! Feel so much better now! He's more excited than I ever imagined! thanks for the advice, think I probably would have kept it secret had I not read so many "just tell him's".

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

well ours was planned, we were both shocked, I ran down the stairs, test in hand, said "oh my god WE are pregnant", he said, "oh my god what have YOU done"...

now 17 months on hes a stay at home dad with our daughter, and they are bestest buddies, best thing we ever did :)

best of luck, hope all goes well x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

well ours was planned, we were both shocked, I ran down the stairs, test in hand, said "oh my god WE are pregnant", he said, "oh my god what have YOU done"...

now 17 months on hes a stay at home dad with our daughter, and they are bestest buddies, best thing we ever did :)

best of luck, hope all goes well x

Ha ha... Reminds me of what I did! We were trying, but month after month was going by with no result. One evening I got home from work, poured a glass of wine and sat down. A while later, I went to the bathroom and on a complete whim decided to use up the last pregnancy test that was sitting in the bathroom cabinet. Washed my hands and looked at the test and OHMYGODITSGOTABLUELINEOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!! Screeched for himself - he thought there was a spider in the bath :) About 40 minutes of "oh my GOD!!" followed from both of us, then he had to leave! He's a DJ and he had a gig to do; how he got through it I'll never know. I went into work the next day grinning like a loon :) Needless to say I didn't finish my glass of wine - he drained it in one go though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Mine wasn't planned, wound up telling him after him confronting me - he knew I'd been hiding something and thought it was far worse.

Now it wasn't the easiest few weeks, and we're still adjusting to the news, but I know now I was being thick trying to hide it for a while, I just didn't know what to do with myself or what I was going to do.

Congrats!

Advertisement