Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emergency overtake for test

• 14-09-2013 8:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Hi, have the test coming up very soon, , but I was never shown the emergency overtake..can some post up exactly what is required?

I read you are asked to pull over while the tester parked his bike/car up the road. You are then asked to build up speed to 60km/h and act as if his car/bike has just pulled out in fron of you.

So, when pulling in at the side of the road, mirror, indicate ,lifesaver,pull in.

When pulling out, mirrir ,indicate quick look over both shoulders and pull out.

Then do I just take normal road position n the centre of my lane, head towards the testers car/bike and then shortly before it , mirror, indicate, lifesaver and overtake, or because its an emergency manouver does signalling/lifesavers etc go out the window?

Any andvice would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

its not an emergency overtake its just to demonstrate that you know how to overtake a vehicle safely, just make sure you do as above with mirrors life savers etc and make sure you are at least in the centre of the opposite carriageway when overtaking (as in leave loads of room!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yep its just a normal overtake. But you will be asked to pull in first so you need to do be on the ball pulling back out with observation and lifesavers when overtaking and again observation pulling back in and stopping up the road again. Remember, offically you do not need to indicate unless you are crossing over the other side of the road...so if its a wide road bare it in mind.

Very best off luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

thanks lads, that makes everything a lot more clear.

One other thing- when overtaking, if you cross the middle line you indicate, but when ruturning to your lane do you have to indicate back left, or is this optional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

cojomo2 wrote: »
    thanks lads, that makes everything a lot more clear.

One other thing- when overtaking, if you cross the middle line you indicate, but when ruturning to your lane do you have to indicate back left, or is this optional?

No need to indicate back in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I was told during pre-test to indicate when going back to the original lane after the overtaking manoeuvre because at the end of the day you are still changing lanes and you need to inform other drivers of your intentions.

• Advertisement

Well its down to the interpretation of the tester on the day regardless....so for the test I would err on the side of caution and indicate back in, just a quick flash. At the end of the day it shows you are aware of what's going on and in control of your actions.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Well its down to the interpretation of the tester on the day regardless....so for the test I would err on the side of caution and indicate back in, just a quick flash. At the end of the day it shows you are aware of what's going on and in control of your actions.

Thanks Wonda-Boy.

One last thing;
    In the housing estates with small roads that have no lanes/markings, there are loads of random cars parked by the roadside here and there outside houses. Because the roads are narrowish, to pass by these cars giving at least a doors width means you will most likely be positioned on the centre of the road or on the other side of the road. Do u just act as if there is an imaginary line splitting the road into 2 lanes and indicate as usual, or would you just mirror ,lifesaver and move out ?

I would normally assume an indicator would be required when passing over the imaginary lane marking but on a typical housing estate there are so many cars parked by the roadside I would be indicating in and out like a yoyo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

There is no requirement to indicate back in.

Op just take it nice and slow re your actions. My advice and I'm just through the process is practice practice and practice.

Slightly off topic but on the test.....

The examiners are big time into lifesavers and you will go down if these are not done by the book. Example....turning right .....lifesaver going into the right lane and then lifesaver again as you move to turn right.

Practice your slow riding also....no wobbles and a clean u turn required.

Finally learn the rules of the road backwards and know ever friggin signs in the RSA manual.....bullish!t here will lose you points that you can ill afford.

Don't bog a hill start. Be familiar with the test route area especially junctions, yellow boxes etc. you just don't want the startle factor. The routes vary so don't be he'll bent on your only going to get one route.

Be prepared for some fugh to pull out on you and don't delay traffic.....keep to the speed limit and keep a good pace.

Know your bike, limitations, tyre pressures oils etc.

Make a mistake and you will, don't panic.....just continue and do your thing.

Finally pray it's not a sh!tty day as its just another factor into the equation.

Finally get Pre test work outs with experienced instructors.....they know what the examiners want and require. It's an easy test but its also easy to fugh up.

PPPPPP. (Prior preparation prevents p!ss poor performance)

i seem to remember that coming out of the test centre in ballina that there is a narrow road with cars parked on the left, all i did was mirror and lifesaver as there was no white lines

Thanks Wonda-Boy.

One last thing;
    In the housing estates with small roads that have no lanes/markings, there are loads of random cars parked by the roadside here and there outside houses. Because the roads are narrowish, to pass by these cars giving at least a doors width means you will most likely be positioned on the centre of the road or on the other side of the road. Do u just act as if there is an imaginary line splitting the road into 2 lanes and indicate as usual, or would you just mirror ,lifesaver and move out ?

I would normally assume an indicator would be required when passing over the imaginary lane marking but on a typical housing estate there are so many cars parked by the roadside I would be indicating in and out like a yoyo..

Just dont over think the test, ride like its a simulation. Do what you normally do only slower and if you had a child on the back....i.e nice a steady and careful.
    If no white line I would not indicate before moving but I would lifesaver. Lad of here failed in Navan for too much observation...FACT!
    So dont do it for the sake of doing it....do it when you are changing position on the road.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Hi, have the test coming up very soon, , but I was never shown the emergency overtake..can some post up exactly what is required?

I read you are asked to pull over while the tester parked his bike/car up the road. You are then asked to build up speed to 60km/h and act as if his car/bike has just pulled out in fron of you.

So, when pulling in at the side of the road, mirror, indicate ,lifesaver,pull in.

When pulling out, mirrir ,indicate quick look over both shoulders and pull out.

Then do I just take normal road position n the centre of my lane, head towards the testers car/bike and then shortly before it , mirror, indicate, lifesaver and overtake, or because its an emergency manouver does signalling/lifesavers etc go out the window?

Any andvice would be great, thanks.

Not sure if anyone else said this (in a rush, no time to read), but there is an emergency stop in the test, but it's just on a straight road. I think you need to get up to 60km/h and brake hard to a very slow speed to demonstrate you're not afraid to brake hard, in an emergency. He will tell you when to "stop". Practise it. Your bike can stop very quickly if it has to!

rat_race wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else said this (in a rush, no time to read), but there is an emergency stop in the test, but it's just on a straight road. I think you need to get up to 60km/h and brake hard to a very slow speed to demonstrate you're not afraid to brake hard, in an emergency. He will tell you when to "stop". Practise it. Your bike can stop very quickly if it has to!

AFAIK you cannot come to a complete stop....you need brake hard but keep the bike rolling (as in not stall it)

Best thing I found was to drop the gear as you brake so you can pull away clean and no stutter.

AFAIK you cannot come to a complete stop....you need brake hard but keep the bike rolling (as in not stall it)

Best thing I found was to drop the gear as you brake so you can pull away clean and no stutter.

Yep, you're right. I shouldn't have used the word stop...it's an emergency "brake"!

If you have time OP, get a pre-test. Will the test a breeze.

cheers lads,feel I'm ready for it now...only thing I'm worried about is the u turn:(

1 more thing (I do realise I keep saying that-sorry)..when you are pulled over at the road side and the tester asks you to beging moving at walking pace beside him, is there a mirror,indicate and lifesaver here, yeah? Wasn't sure as although you would be moving off, you would not be moving out into the lane. Thanks

cheers lads,feel I'm ready for it now...only thing I'm worried about is the u turn:(

1 more thing (I do realise I keep saying that-sorry)..when you are pulled over at the road side and the tester asks you to beging moving at walking pace beside him, is there a mirror,indicate and lifesaver here, yeah? Wasn't sure as although you would be moving off, you would not be moving out into the lane. Thanks

Yes, do the lifesaver always always always, anytime your bike is going from stop to start, or changing position in road.

As someone else said, lifesavers are important in the exam. Even when they're a bit pointless -- like in the u-turn example -- do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Passed my test a few weeks ago and just on the topic of life savers. When you indicate, life saver and move to the right to turn right but are stopped by traffic for 5/10 seconds on the road. Before you move off again give another quick lifesaver (it can be easily forgotten). You'll get a grade two under perception or something if you don't, just to bare that in mind, i speak from experience ha. Good luck with it.

Thanks for all the tips lads- have my test coming up on Monday and just wanted to go over a few things once more;

Lifesaver/shoulder checks;

- are these required when stopped at the lights when going straight on?

-when pulled in at the side of the road,and you want to pull out (to do the u turn,walking pace , etc), I know you must mirror, signal, shoulder check and move, but do you look over both shoulders or just the right?

- I always lifesaver before exiting a roundbout, is it necessary when entering also?

when turning right into a filter lane, the lane usually has space for 4-5 cars then behind the 5th car there is a shadded area of road. If the lane to the left(for going straight on) has a queue of cars in it, instead of queuing with them can I enter the shaded area and queue with the other cars for turning right?

-If asked how to check your brakes, is the examiner looking for you to say ''I check them by using them in a safe place to make sure they function correctly'' or is he expecting you to actually inspect the pads for wear?

Thats all I cant think of now..any replies appreciated, I'll be sure to update this after my test and give the full low down on how it went to help others doing the test soon.

Thanks for all the tips lads- have my test coming up on Monday and just wanted to go over a few things once more;

Lifesaver/shoulder checks;

- are these required when stopped at the lights when going straight on?
    not a lifesaver but a glance to check to see if traffic has finished crossing before moving off
    -when pulled in at the side of the road,and you want to pull out (to do the u turn,walking pace , etc), I know you must mirror, signal, shoulder check and move, but do you look over both shoulders or just the right?
    just your right
    - I always lifesaver before exiting a roundbout, is it necessary when entering also?
    not sure but i always do!
    when turning right into a filter lane, the lane usually has space for 4-5 cars then behind the 5th car there is a shadded area of road. If the lane to the left(for going straight on) has a queue of cars in it, instead of queuing with them can I enter the shaded area and queue with the other cars for turning right?
    no
    -If asked how to check your brakes, is the examiner looking for you to say ''I check them by using them in a safe place to make sure they function correctly'' or is he expecting you to actually inspect the pads for wear?
    i just showed him where the fluid levels could be checked

Thats all I cant think of now..any replies appreciated, I'll be sure to update this after my test and give the full low down on how it went to help others doing the test soon.

no

Thanks for the reply serious. Are you sure about the above?I would have agreed with you also but I've been told othewise by a few people..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭p_mac

I always lifesaver before exiting a roundbout, is it necessary when entering also?

As you approach the round about you should be up to speed in the centre of your lane, when it's time to decide to position for entry to the roundabout a shoulder check is required at this point to get into the left or right lane... after that its eyes on traffic already on the roundabout, keep her lit if its clear, stop if it's not... then use the appropriate lifesaver when exiting...

Good luck with test, also watch out and don't give any misleading signals, observe traffic to your right when turning left at traffic lights and if the way is clear get up to speed if there's a gap that you can go in at any stage, go in it and don't worry about the tester.

Oh yeah, try to relax! :D

• Advertisement

an adult will be along soon, but as far as i remember a chevron area is a no go area for traffic.

For my test I was told to look to the left of the roundabout first, then check the right before entering, and then a lifesaver before you exit. Just to be on the safe side id do the lifesaver when exiting the roundabout anyway, that way you'll avoid any penalty if there is one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Good luck with the test.
    Have to apply for mine soon!

How did you get on cojo?

How did you get on cojo?
    Hey ..test not till Monday..I'll be back with the good news then :cool: haha

Good stuff....keep us posted mate.

Best of Luck.

lads, anyone else have any input on the hatched road markings? I checked the rules of the road book but to no avail.

If I'm in a lane going straight, and I'm told to take the next right, but the filterlane for turning right is full of cars, and the only space behind the last car in the filter lane has hatched road markings, do I enter it or not? If not, what do I do? This scenario assumes the traffic in the lanes for going straight is moving at a good pace.

Also, same scenario but traffic for going straight is at a standstill, or the lights are red. I'm in the offside lane, can the cars waiting to go straight and move over into the filter lane and occupy the space where there are hatched markings? If not, what do I do? Once traffic going straight starts to move, as I approach the filterlane I have no option but to either continue straight on, or enter the hatched area just before the right filter lane begins.

Thanks

lads, anyone else have any input on the hatched road markings? I checked the rules of the road book but to no avail.

If I'm in a lane going straight, and I'm told to take the next right, but the filterlane for turning right is full of cars, and the only space behind the last car in the filter lane has hatched road markings, do I enter it or not? If not, what do I do? This scenario assumes the traffic in the lanes for going straight is moving at a good pace.

Also, same scenario but traffic for going straight is at a standstill, or the lights are red. I'm in the offside lane, can the cars waiting to go straight and move over into the filter lane and occupy the space where there are hatched markings? If not, what do I do? Once traffic going straight starts to move, as I approach the filterlane I have no option but to either continue straight on, or enter the hatched area just before the right filter lane begins.

Thanks

That's a good question man. I know from experience that your not allowed drive over hatched marking to enter a filter lane, and therefore are not allowed stop in them. It's probably very rarely enforced but someone has to come across the nasty piece of work that does enforce it :rolleyes:

My advice would be to stay in lane until you have space to enter the filter lane, your breaking no laws. My instructor was very clear about breaking road marking such as the end of a bus lane etc, you get picked up on that.

Hopefully someone will have a more concrete answer for you mate.

How did you get on cojo?
    passed:)

Cant believe I did though,my main worry was the U turn, my bike has a crap turning circle plus I fell off a few months back while practicing u turns on a narrow road...which resulted in two poxy operations..

Anyway, I got plenty of practice in and can do them no bother now, but nerves got the better of me today, was given a narrow road to do it on and nearly dropped the bike, stayed calm, looked all around and continued as if it didn't happen. Anyway was sure I failed based on that, but apart from a mark for that, all I got was another mark for leaving too much space when over taking a double parked truck.

Glad its over with, for some reason I was way more nervous then when I was doing the car test. If anyone has any other questions about the test itself fire away..

Thanks

• Advertisement

good lad!! great feeling aint it!!!!

Advertisement