Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many days does the Coombe let you go over??

Options
  • 14-09-2013 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi

I'm due my baby in October, and im just wondering how many days they let you go overdue?? I've heard 10 , 12 and 14 days off different people, and i'm just wondering which is true?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

edel12345 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm due my baby in October, and im just wondering how many days they let you go overdue?? I've heard 10 , 12 and 14 days off different people, and i'm just wondering which is true?

Thank you

I was induced at 9 days but that was because my water were low, all being ok they would have left me the 14 days

• Registered Users Posts: 14 edel12345

Really? I must ask at my next appointment. I heard from some people that they had a policy of 10 days, but then other people have told me differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

They have a policy of ten days in general but again it is in conjunction with the mothers wishes too.

Really? I must ask at my next appointment. I heard from some people that they had a policy of 10 days, but then other people have told me differently.

I was with the midwife led care so I dunno if that made a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I was told 10 days in the Coombe too. Bear in mind, you might be induced at 10 days but it might take a few days for anything to happen. Sorry this wasn't the Coombe but I was brought in to hospital at 11 days over to prepare me, induced at 12 days and gave birth 14 days over. They try not to let you go too far over.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I had my first baby in the Coombe (8 years ago now) and the consultant told me 10 days.

Thank you for your replys.. Hopefully i go naturally beforehand.. What's the process of them inducing you, and when do they give you a date to go in?? Am anxious i'll go over as the last few friends of mine, all went over, plus it's my first and i've been told that you generally go over on your first.

Well at the end, (very close to or just past your due date) your appointments will be every week.

If you get past your due date they will probably say "If you haven't gone yourself by xxx date, come in on yyy date and we'll induce you".

They had told me 10 days on my first.. I went 5 days over and was in for an appointment and they noticed my waters were getting low. The registrar who saw me that day said that some placentas last only the 40 weeks and then stop. So they weren't prepared to let me go any longer. I was admitted that evening to be induced the following morning.

Edit: And I still wasn't ready!!! In my head I was ready for 10 days - so going in at 5 days was a shock! The doctor was laughing asking how could I not be ready, I was 5 days over!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thank you for your replys.. Hopefully i go naturally beforehand.. What's the process of them inducing you, and when do they give you a date to go in?? Am anxious i'll go over as the last few friends of mine, all went over, plus it's my first and i've been told that you generally go over on your first.

Depending on if you are favourable or not, the appointment on your due date they may offer you a sweep, that just means them doing an internal and sweeping their finger around your cervix to loosen the cells and try and kick start labour. If that doesn't work, when you are brought in for induction they will either give you prostiglandin gel to make your cervix favourable or if you are favourable they will go right to breaking your waters. If you still don't go into labour after that they may hook you up to an oxytocin drip to bring on contractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Don't forget you've the right to decline induction as well. I know of women who preferred to let nature take its course once there were no problems with placenta, baby or mum to be.

• Advertisement

Would they do that sweep in the midwife unit?? I dont attend the Coombe for my appointments.. I attend a midwife clinic instead.

Would they do that sweep in the midwife unit?? I dont attend the Coombe for my appointments.. I attend a midwife clinic instead.

I don't think so, once I went over I was sent into the hospital itself for my next appointment rather than the midwife clinic I normally went to.
    I was 6 days over at that stage, there a consultant gave me a small scan to check things & a sweep.
    It turned out from the scan that the fluid was low so I was booked to come into the hospital 2 days later if the sweep hadn't worked.
    The sweep didn't work so I came into the hospital 2 days later, stayed overnight & was induced the next day.

Oh right.. Im feeling so anxious wondering when baby will come.. It's so silly really. I should just let it all happen naturally and not b worrying..How did your indcution go??

Oh right.. Im feeling so anxious wondering when baby will come.. It's so silly really. I should just let it all happen naturally and not b worrying..How did your indcution go??

Don't take this as an indication of how yours could go if you end up being induced as everyone is different but mine ended in an emergancy c-section.
    Plenty of people have gone on to have natural births also from induction so you never can tell.
    Best of luck with it all, all of this will be a distant memory once your little one is in your arms safe & sound :-)

I was induced on my 2nd in the Coombe. My waters had broken the day before my due date, so I went in. I had no contractions. I was induced the following morning using the oxytocin drip at 8:30, and she was born at 8:10 that evening.

I know its easy to say relax.. but "relax"! ;) It will all happen in it's own time. And once you are handed your baby at the end, you won't care how or when they got here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I drank about 5 litres of water in the hospital the day I was induced. I'm convinced it made my labour easier! Once my waters broke, they really broke and I'm sure baby came down the waterslide a few cms with them!

Thank you :):) So excited .. The next two weeks cant go quick enough x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

i was told they would let me go 10-14 days and ended up being induced at 7 days over because the baby was big so they thought it would be easier on me to be induced. I arrived in hospital at 8 and they broke my waters at half, and after 13 hours gave birth to a 9'6 little boy naturally.
    As soon as my date came close i was wondering when it would happen, on the bus or at home then convinced myself theyd have to induce me!

Advertisement