Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horizon tv issues when connect LG smart tv to network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Larry_N wrote: »
    Got a text from UPC over the weekend saying the issue was fixed and to do a factory reset on my box. Haven't had a chance to do it yet.
    Anyone get a similar text?

How do u do a factory reset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

settings> horizon HD + box>Factory reset

You dont have to do a factory reset to get new software, If you got settings> horizon HD + box>Software> Check for updates it will tell you if you have a new version available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭satchman

Got a text from UPC over the weekend saying the issue was fixed and to do a factory reset on my box. Haven't had a chance to do it yet.

I'd be very surprised if this works but, out of interest, have you tried it yet?

I checked last night and I have the latest version of software and it's still not working for me. I don't see how/what a factory reset is going to add... apart from wiping my entire box and making me even more angrier to find out i'm still in the same position as I was before, but now with all of my recording being wiped :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

satchman wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if this works but, out of interest, have you tried it yet?

I checked last night and I have the latest version of software and it's still not working for me. I don't see how/what a factory reset is going to add... apart from wiping my entire box and making me even more angrier to find out i'm still in the same position as I was before, but now with all of my recording being wiped :mad:
    I did a factory reset. Doesnt fix it

torres9kop wrote: »
    I did a factory reset. Doesnt fix it

Thanks for letting me know and confirming this ;)

why are ye doing factory resets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Eamonn

Hi folks,

Just jumping in here to clarify a few points raised on the thread:

We are testing a solution to the Horizon / LG TV issue currently, and have sent a software update to a group of customers as part of this ongoing process.
    These customers do NOT need to factory reset their Horizon box to receive this update - factory resets are never required for this process
    Instead, as with any software update, contacted customers can access the latest available version via: Settings – Horizon TV HD+ Box – Software – Check for Updates.
    If this update is released to all Horizon boxes in the future, customers will be advised.

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Eamonn

Hi there,

As we've just clarified now on the thread, a factory reset is not required to receive a software update to your Horizon box. If you could PM UPC: Reps with your account details we will review the message you were sent.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fuzzielogix

Hi folks,

We are testing a solution to the Horizon / LG TV issue currently, and have sent a software update to a group of customers as part of this ongoing process.
    These customers do NOT need to factory reset their Horizon box to receive this update - factory resets are never required for this process
    Instead, as with any software update, contacted customers can access the latest available version via: Settings – Horizon TV HD+ Box – Software – Check for Updates.
    If this update is released to all Horizon boxes in the future, customers will be advised.

Many thanks

has this issue been resolved yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Nope, its going to be a while yet

ah frustrating to say the least, was on to upc this morning, they said the issue can be resolved with a fix they need to apply to the horizon box but the fix wont be applied till to morrow !!! so will wait and see till then stuck with a smart TV that doesn't want to play nicely with my Horizon box :(

-Toppy- wrote: »
    Nope, its going to be a while yet
    Why do you say that?

UPC just said, like 3 posts up, that they have a fix and if you have this issue they will put you on a new software version...

Hi folks,

Many thanks

Called UPC this morning to check if the update was applied. informed that it was but still no joy ie : still no signal, after a few moments of " can you hold while I check this for you " scenarios - was then told that the update was applied but failed because I left the Ethernet cable in the back of the LG Smart TV even though the TV was powered off overnight ( strange !!! why would this disrupt any update to the actual box ? ). I have now been informed that the software update will be applied overnight again and to leave cable out ( feel like I'm getting the run Run RUN around !!! ) - only time will tell. Has anyone had this software update applied by UPC and if so has it resolved the issue ?

Has anyone had this software update applied by UPC and if so has it resolved the issue ?

I was in touch with UPC today and should be receiving the update overnight. I'll check this first thing tomorrow morning and post back here with an update ;)

Ok cheers

• Advertisement

Called UPC this morning to check if the update was applied. informed that it was but still no joy ie : still no signal, after a few moments of " can you hold while I check this for you " scenarios - was then told that the update was applied but failed because I left the Ethernet cable in the back of the LG Smart TV even though the TV was powered off overnight ( strange !!! why would this disrupt any update to the actual box ? ). I have now been informed that the software update will be applied overnight again and to leave cable out ( feel like I'm getting the run Run RUN around !!! ) - only time will tell. Has anyone had this software update applied by UPC and if so has it resolved the issue ?

Having the Ethernet cable attached to the box basically hangs the box, If you keep it in while they are trying to apply a fix for you it wont work. Even when the TV is in standby the network connection is live.

A mate of mine has this new update and it fixed his TV issue. What box group are you in and what software version are you on? both are displayed in the settings>horizon HD+>Software section.

Having the Ethernet cable attached to the box basically hangs the box, If you keep it in while they are trying to apply a fix for you it wont work. Even when the TV is in standby the network connection is live.

A mate of mine has this new update and it fixed his TV issue. What box group are you in and what software version are you on? both are displayed in the settings>horizon HD+>Software section.

Box group : 2
    Software version : 1b-263.011.on - v 1.28.16777500

Just with regard to Ethernet cable attached, the other three ports are also attached to devices , should these be disconnected also or just from the LG ?

After the update was your mate able to reconnect to the wired/wireless without issues through LG ?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I too am having this problem. My LG is 55LA690V-ZB

I haven't tried hard wiring yet, but I'm a bit disappointed. Rang UPC and was told I had to connect another modem to the horizon box. I told the rep that I had ordered the horizon box because I only wanted one modem. It wasn't until I told him that I knew about the firmware upgrade that he offered to put me on a list. I could be left waiting a few days though :mad:

I am now paying for a service I can't get the full use of, thanks to their feck up.

Also, what's the deal with the volume button not working with the upc remote? I had this problem with my previous LG tv. I tried pairing the remote with my tv as suggested, but it made no difference.

Thanks for this pain in the head over the Christmas UPC !!!

Box group : 2
    Software version : 1b-263.011.on - v 1.28.16777500

Just with regard to Ethernet cable attached, the other three ports are also attached to devices , should these be disconnected also or just from the LG ?

After the update was your mate able to reconnect to the wired/wireless without issues through LG ?

Thanks

Just the LG.

if you do a check for updates in settings>horizon HD+>Software>Check for updates it should say you have a new version to load. The version my mate has on his box 1b-267.02.0
    I didn't write down the rest of the numbers, not sure they matter.

Before when he had the TV connected to the box it was like a brick, TV worked but it wouldn't change channels. With the update it actually seems faster then mine!

He has a 42LAsomething if that matters...and to answer someone else, the volume works fine on it from the horizon remote.

Why do you say that?

UPC just said, like 3 posts up, that they have a fix and if you have this issue they will put you on a new software version...

Funny that, I was one of the original people to report this to UPC (have a look at the talk to UPC forums), havent heard anything about a newer firmware (even though I offered to test it for them)

Cest la vie, thankfully the cisco modem is rocking nicely

• Advertisement

@ fuzzielogix... I said I'd post back this morning to let you know how I got on. Well... after checking this morning I received no software update overnight. My version is the same as it was last night [Software version : 1b-263.011.on - v 1.28.16777500]. I performed several manual checks last night and another this morning but nothing there!

Gonna check in with the UPC Reps now and see why it wasn't pushed out.

I had to disconnect from the wi-fi, but last night, the channels just stopped responding on me as if it were connected to the wifi. I got pissed off and just switched the box off. Really unhappy with this now.

I still have the old modem. Will this work with the horizon box and if so, how exactly should i set it up? I regularly use the internet on the tv and this horizon thing is a fukin joke.

what box group are you on satchman?

Box group 2. Hopefully the update will be pushed out tonight, will wait and see and will post back as soon as it does and let ye all know

Ok lads... I have a software update in progress :) will post back shortly, hopefully with good news

Edit: so far so good!!! Connected tv via wired ethernet and all working well. Horizon box quite responsive and no hanging at all.

For reference:
    s/w version: 1b-267.02.0_V 1.28_16777513

Thats great news, same version my friend is on. I figure if they put you in box group 2 you can get the new software, I'm still on box group 0.

Have you PM'd the upc reps to see if they can change your box group? I'm sure it's a simple change their end.

Hope u get sorted soon mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Boo27

Oh no...

I have today just purchased a LG 42" SMart Tv,
    I cannot connect throught he HDMI cable and when using the scart connection the box completely freezes,, Unable to change to any station.. Rang UPC and cut off twice...

Is there any update on this big mess???

Thanks

the problem is when you have the network connected either wired or wirelessly. disconnect the network cable or, if wireless, factory reset the TV and all should be fine until UPC give you the updated software. PM The UPC reps and they can help you, see post earlier in this thread.

I now have s/w version: 1b-267.02.0_V 1.28_16777513

Working fine now :)

So glad I did not have to wait several months for this like some others.

However, the remote still won't work for volume. Is there a fix for this?

• Advertisement

AFAIK the standard LG pairing code, 1628, works fine for your TV, what sequence did you use to pair the remote? a few people on the original trial were missing the last step and it wasnt working for them

If you would like to control the volume of your TV with your Horizon TV Remote Control please follow the simple steps below:

Turn on your TV and switch off the Horizon TV HD+ box.
    Press "VOL-" on your remote control and keep the button pressed; press the source button at the same time (the top centre button). After a few seconds the TV standby button will flash red twice. Now release both buttons.
    Within one minute, enter 1628 using the numbers the Horizon TV remote control.
    To confirm the pairing has been successful switch on the television set using the TV standby button on the Horizon TV remote control.
    Important: To complete the pairing, press and keep holding the VOL- button and press the source button at the same time to save the code. After a maximum of 5 seconds the TV standby button will flash red twice. Your remote is now paired.

Note: If the pairing has been unsuccessful, Press "VOL-" and keep the button pressed; then press the source button simultaneously (top centre button). After approximately 5 seconds the TV standby button will flash red twice. Now release both buttons and type in 981, this will un-pair the remote. Repeat the pairing process from Step 1.

To start with, upc did not say the box needed to be off, so i'll follow your instructions and see what happens. I may need to unpair first, which I also was not told.

That's a cut and paste from a googe search of horizon remote pair and the first link was direct to the correct section on UPCs help site. The only bit i added was to click the link from that page and find the correct code and put it here for you.

That's a cut and paste from a googe search of horizon remote pair and the first link was direct to the correct section on UPCs help site. The only bit i added was to click the link from that page and find the correct code and put it here for you.

So the upc rep didn't bother telling it as it is. So lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Perhaps hes had no one ask him.

Well alas no joy after the software updates :-( LG was still dead in the water as far the HDMI and horizon box where concerned, so packed the LG up brought it back and exchanged for a Samsung Smart TV ( figured should work as it's the same make as the horizon box ) , so connected all and so far so good all seems to be working fine, fingers crossed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HrPara

First time poster etc etc, i rang UPC again they said fix wont be out til first quarter, wasn't too happy about this, so went into the modem, mine is the cisco router separate to the box, and i changed the signal which was on automatic (11) 9egdaxh45

as you can see I've changed it to twelve, they said try the recommended signal channels 1 - 6 -11 after I brought it up with them. I therefore went against all their advice as they have a "team" currently sourcing the problem and by the looks of things its worked perfectly

So I hope this helps somewhat

Have a non UPC day..

HrPara

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

I have the same problem. Just off the phone now after asking for the update.
    I asked to be put into box group 2. I was told everyone will have new update in next two weeks. I asked to be put into box group 2 and get it now. I was told that batch is finished and my batch is next, Box group 0. They must be sick of the all phone calls now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vinniemcm

Hi folks. Crazy that this issue is still around. Their solution for me was to separate the broadband & TV by way of providing a seperate router (as noted in other posts on this thread) which works perfectly well.

As a result I have cancelled my horizon TV service, lodged a formal complaint & returned their completely inadequate kit to them. I have returned to the calm normality of Sky+ HD.

I will be retaining their broadband via the router as to be honest, it was really all I was interested in in the first place. Unfortunately I was duped by the Horizon claims of "one box for all your needs'.

I have never experienced such a shoddy service from a company in my life & am glad to be able to keep future contact with them to a bare minimum.

I hope the rest of you find some resolution also. Valuable lesson learnt by me out of this. Avoid UPC where possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭StevePH

Hey folks,
    Was all geared up to go buy an LG tomorrow then saw this thread.

I'm with UPC so intend to connect to their box/network. Should I rethink buying an LG model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nialler101

StevePH wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Was all geared up to go buy an LG tomorrow then saw this thread.

I'm with UPC so intend to connect to their box/network. Should I rethink buying an LG model?

Yeh I bought one last week and had the same issue but it's all sorted now...flicking around the stations grand now. Just ring up and tell them you have an LG smart tv

I dunno if I would go LG again,
    There is a lot of things to take into consideration
    Firstly as a TV which is better (I was been LG and Samsung and Panasonic) but was sold on some of the smart tv stuff from LG, but afterwards I feel pretty let down by them, ie NONE of the smart menu stuff interacts with UPC, (dunno if this is the same with LG)

The Smart remote I have is nice alright, which I feel is better than the gesture stuff with Samsung
    Toppy

... NONE of the smart menu stuff interacts with UPC...

What do you mean?

I was under the illusion (wrongly I assume) that there was some transmission via EPG's from UPC/SKY via HDMI that would for example find similar programs that I have watched etc, (I was demoed or that for example if I had partially watched a program that once again the smart tv would be aware of where it was and would pick up from there)

LG Smart works fine by itself (various apps, youtube etc) but Im talking about a more integrated smarter EPG

Toppy

• Advertisement

Wow, Just, wow.

I was under the illusion (wrongly I assume)...

Yes. The TV and SKY/UPC box do not talk to each to other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Hi,

My Dad just got an LG TV (LN series) and was considering upgrading to Horizon. Is this still a problem for people, and should I hold off or look at different options?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 B.S.C

Started trying to use an LG TV with a Horizon box yesterday. Still the same issues with them. Called customer service and they said it will be the end of January before its fixed but seen as this thread has been going since September and they've said things like that a few times I wouldn't hold my breath. The Horizon is in the house I rent a room in otherwise I would be going with any internet and tv provider other than them.

Call them up again and insist they put you in box group 2 to get the software that has the LG fix.

• Advertisement
Advertisement