Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cycle proposals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

This looks great, but what are cycleways exactly?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

either marked out areas on roadways or as proposed, greenways along unused railway track.
    from navan to virginia - like the mayo greenway cycle path

k

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Seems like a colossal waste of money and infrastructure to me.

Whatever about cycling or using buses/LUAS around Dublin City Centre, I can't imagine everyone abandoning their cars in rural areas where alternative public transport is patchy at best to start cycling instead.

If they plan to use existing rail alignments for this too then that effectively permanently closes the door on any sort of commuter rail beyond Dunboyne.

This isn't Holland (and I lived there for a few years). We just don't have the support or mindset or political will for this to work to a point where most people would think of it as a real alternative to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Seems like a colossal waste of money and infrastructure to me.

Whatever about cycling or using buses/LUAS around Dublin City Centre, I can't imagine everyone abandoning their cars in rural areas where alternative public transport is patchy at best to start cycling instead.

If they plan to use existing rail alignments for this too then that effectively permanently closes the door on any sort of commuter rail beyond Dunboyne.

This isn't Holland (and I lived there for a few years). We just don't have the support or mindset or political will for this to work to a point where most people would think of it as a real alternative to the car.

You might be missing the point there.

It not really for transportation... its more for recreational uses.

I welcome the plans to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Hopefully these plans come to fruition, very forward thinking for the area. Anyone who has been to Achill recently cant help but notice how their cycleway has sprung life into so many small villages along the route....

I for one will look forward to it and hopefully get the family cycling in safety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Cycle route from Ashbourne to Ratoath ? You must be kidding the road is bad enough to drive on.

Now I would favour a north - south cycle route within Ashbourne to make it safer for kiddies cycling to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MariaInNavan

The new cycle lanes in the Johnstown area in Navan appear to be finished, is it just me or are they no good for adult cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

half the time you have people walking their dogs on these cycle lanes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Probably would have been better investing the money in a youth club for johnstown or a decent play area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Like a lot of estates during the boom, planners didnt even consider the community..just concrete jungles!

• Advertisement
Advertisement