Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caring for a Rabbit

• 14-09-2013 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

A neighbor of mine is looking to re-home his rabbit complete with hutch and I've been considering taking it. But want some advice regarding caring for it.

Just curious as to what he would eat in addition to rabbit food bought from the pet shop or is vegetable/fruit enough?
    How much time needs to be spent with him on a daily basis as I would be keeping him outside?
    Cleaning, grooming and any other hygiene care he would need?
    How much exercise every day?

I was also thinking of getting a guinea pig too as I've always wanted one and I think they could keep each other company! I know they generally live well together but would they have all the same care as a rabbit or would they have special needs?

Would I need to keep him in the house for winter or would he be ok still living outside in his hutch with extra bedding?

I have a section of my back garden already sectioned off with chicken wire and a gate as I used to have a vegetable patch so I was thinking of putting him there as he would have a good area to run around in and it's secure apart from having no cover for the top so I would assume I would need do something there to stop cats getting in at him?

Also and this is my main concern....I have a Dog. I know the he would bark at the rabbit at every opportunity so how would I train him to not do it. I would never allow the dog to have any contact with the rabbit but I don't want him going nuts everytime he goes out to the garden. Now he is mostly in the house with us so it's really when he's out to go toilet or if we are outside he would be with us so I need him to behave around it.

Really depending on advice from posters to make up my mind. If you think it's not going to be workable with the dog then please just say so as I want all my animals to have a happy home here.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Firstly rabbits and guinea pigs should never ever be kept together. The guinea pig often ends up bullied or worse. They also do not have the same diet. Guinea pigs need plenty of Vitamin C rich fruits & veg compared to a rabbit.

Secondly the hutches sold in pet shops are often far too small. Rabbits need as large a hutch as you can afford. Even better if you build one. Bedding can be straw, shavings or pellets. Do not use hay as bedding.

Diet wise rabbits need a high quality rabbit mix. It is essential they have access to hay and this should be the main part of their diet. They can have a small amount of veg as a treat but it should be fit for human consumption.

A large fenced off area would be good for exercise but the rabbit may be able to dig out of it. They will eat any plants they have access to so make sure they only have access to plants that will not poison them.

Neutering & spaying helps a rabbit live longer. They need to be treated for parasites & vaccinated. The hutch should be cleaned on a regular basis as they can get fly strike which is fatal if not caught early. They are clean & often use one area as a toilet.

Rabbits are social & will benefit from another rabbit as company however it can be difficult trying to introduce another rabbit especially in males of the same sex. Neutering or spaying would help.

Keep a regular eye on teeth & claws. Claws may need to be clipped if they get too long.

Advertisement