Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place to buy a motorcycle in Cork

• 14-09-2013 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

any suggestions on this please???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Done Deal of course but assuming you mean dealers, for sheer variety, JT Motorcycles between Kinsale and Inishannon. Everything from S1000RRs to broken down scramblers and everything in Between. He has a reputation for being bit of a character and a little difficult to deal with but I've always found him to be ultimately straight. If you're a serious buyer he'll be very serious too.

What kind of bike are you looking for?

I bought a Blackbird of him a few years ago that I had painted VW LA6V Lhasa Green, btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

cantdecide wrote: »
    Done Deal of course but assuming you mean dealers, for sheer variety, JT Motorcycles between Kinsale and Inishannon. Everything from S1000RRs to broken down scramblers and everything in Between. He has a reputation for being bit of a character and a little difficult to deal with but I've always found him to be ultimately straight. If you're a serious buyer he'll be very serious too.

I bought a Blackbird of him a few years ago that I had painted VW LA6V Lhasa Green, btw!

seen jt's collection of bikes back in 2008,he was looking for €2500 for a 1996 cbr 250,i'd look at a bandit most likely the type with the round shaped headlight,does he throw in any free gear with purchases???helmet,gloves???he imports alot of bikes too i hear????

Lee Honda in little island are excellent, and I've had no problems with CB on Douglas street either. There's a place on tramore road that my uncle swears by but I've no experience with them myself.

Lee Honda in little island are excellent, and I've had no problems with CB on Douglas street either. There's a place on tramore road that my uncle swears by but I've no experience with them myself.

bought me first moped from lee back in 2003,dealt with a guy called matty,couldnt fault the man,the amount of extra's i got from him was top class,i'll look around,those places though thanks for that :-) is there a cc restriction on a provisional???been so long i cant remember clearly,i'm 29 if age is of any reference,getting back into bikes for the first time since 2008,all advice is much appreciated

Noel Quinn/ GMC Motorcycles. I recommend them very highly too. He mainly has older bikes and classics. Effectively, it's a workshop and they only open Mon-Fri but there's always something for sale from classic projects to scooters and commuters. I bought my project VT500 and my Mille off them. You could find anything out there but at any one time the range of turn-key bikes can be quite small. Very reasonably priced for sales and repairs.

• Advertisement

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    bought me first moped from lee back in 2003,dealt with a guy called matty,couldnt fault the man,the amount of extra's i got from him was top class,i'll look around,those places though thanks for that :-) is there a cc restriction on a provisional???been so long i cant remember clearly,i'm 29 if age is of any reference,getting back into bikes for the first time since 2008,all advice is much appreciated

Matty's still there alright!

The big thing is that you will probably be able to exchange your old provisional for an UNRESTRICTED A Learner's Permit (with no two-year retriction after you pass your test), assuming you would be willing to take some of the IBT modules at a cost of a few hundred euro. Have a read of the stickie.

JT have somewhat cleaned up their act. The whole shed is accessible now and the workshop has moved. He will do you a nice discount on gear too.

The big thing is that you will probably be able to exchange your old provisional for an UNRESTRICTED A Learner's Permit (with no two-year retriction after you pass your test), assuming you would be willing to take some of the IBT modules at a cost of a few hundred euro. Have a read of the stickie.

JT have somewhat cleaned up their act. The whole shed is accessible now and the workshop has moved. He will do you a nice discount on gear too.
    i'll have to do my homework on the new style provisional,some said my old A is equal to the new A2 hopefully not though,are the IBT modules optional for me or the best way to get the full A,i'll pop down to jt this afternoon,wouldnt mind a fireblade but the insurance company might have something to say about it i think,never been to the new placeblee have in little island,is the selection bigger than the old place???

just looked up info on the IBT,it says i am exempt from it,whether thats a help or hinderence is another issue

just looked up info on the IBT,it says i am exempt from it,whether thats a help or hinderence is another issue

You're exempt if you work from the OLD Learner's Permit rules. In other words, if you renew your LP, get a restricted bike and go on to pass your test, you must have a low output bike for your two year restriction period.

If you exchange your license for the new UNRESTRICTED 'A' Learner's Permit, you do some IBT and you're away on full power bikes from the very beginning with no two year restriction after you pass your test.

It depends on what your policy is on a little hassle really.

You're exempt if you work from the OLD Learner's Permit rules. In other words, if you renew your LP, get a restricted bike and go on to pass your test, you must have a low output bike for your two year restriction period.

If you exchange your license for the new UNRESTRICTED 'A' Learner's Permit, you do some IBT and you're away on full power bikes from the very beginning with no two year restriction after you pass your test.

It depends on what your policy is on a little hassle really.
    so i dont have to do all modules only some,correct???that would be well worth it,but i'd imagine asking for insurance on a fireblade with a provisional wouldnt go down very well,AFAIK axa and aon do some deal if you have a car and bike but i'm open to corrrection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

so i dont have to do all modules only some,correct???that would be well worth it,but i'd imagine asking for insurance on a fireblade with a provisional wouldnt go down very well,AFAIK axa and aon do some deal if you have a car and bike but i'm open to corrrection

If you're going for the Unrestricted licence you'll have to do 3 modules, 1, 3 and 5. 5 is the same as 2 and 4 but longer, covers a little bit more and is on a full power bike. It's 18 hours long. VERY worth it, especially if it's a while since you've been on a bike.

If you're going for the Unrestricted licence you'll have to do 3 modules, 1, 3 and 5. 5 is the same as 2 and 4 but longer, covers a little bit more and is on a full power bike. It's 18 hours long. VERY worth it, especially if it's a while since you've been on a bike.
    thats fantastic thanks for that,i'll do that so,any idea on the costs involved???

went to jt's earlier,found what i want,just need to get it now :-)

thats fantastic thanks for that,i'll do that so,any idea on the costs involved???

With the right instructor and doing it with someone else, anywhere from 450 - 600 euro. If you've ridden bikes before make sure you do the IBT with someone who did, it'd suck to be held back by some guy who doesn't know how to start a bike, let alone move off.

With the right instructor and doing it with someone else, anywhere from 450 - 600 euro. If you've ridden bikes before make sure you do the IBT with someone who did, it'd suck to be held back by some guy who doesn't know how to start a bike, let alone move off.

that seems reasonably priced,is bikecraft the best guy to do it with???not many bike instructors around the city

that seems reasonably priced,is bikecraft the best guy to do it with???not many bike instructors around the city

I didn't do it with him. I did it down in Waterford with Roadskill. But I've heard good things about Two Wheels Training and the guy in Millstreet.

I didn't do it with him. I did it down in Waterford with Roadskill. But I've heard good things about Two Wheels Training and the guy in Millstreet.

oh thats right the crowd out by the dog track,they look very impressive tbh,they may prove a better option to me,is the test easier if you've done ibt compared to if you didnt,i have to do more research on ibt

I haven't do the test yet but it can't exactly hurt, you get the fancy card Permit and it will allow you to ride any bike you can get insured on :)

I haven't do the test yet but it can't exactly hurt, you get the fancy card Permit and it will allow you to ride any bike you can get insured on :)

ah thats the job!!!i'd better get a move on,thanks for your help,are bike insurance prices gone down?i was paying €750 tpft on a moped one time

ah thats the job!!!i'd better get a move on,thanks for your help,are bike insurance prices gone down?i was paying €750 tpft on a moped one time

Yes, especially if whoever you do your IBT with carries out assessments. For Comparison I paid 850 for my first years insurance on a 125. With 1 years NCB I'm paying 675 for a Fazer 600. So pretty good overall :)

• Advertisement

Yes, especially if whoever you do your IBT with carries out assessments. For Comparison I paid 850 for my first years insurance on a 125. With 1 years NCB I'm paying 675 for a Fazer 600. So pretty good overall :)

is that comprehensive???looking at a bandit or cbr or possibly an R1

Yep, that's Fully Comp...... Go for the Bandit, if all you ever rode was a Moped a litre bike would probably be a bit much. Contrary to popular sayings "Like riding a bike" isn't gonna apply to all motorcycle skills.

Yep, that's Fully Comp...... Go for the Bandit, if all you ever rode was a Moped a litre bike would probably be a bit much. Contrary to popular sayings "Like riding a bike" isn't gonna apply to all motorcycle skills.
    had a bandit before it was a fantastic bike sorry i ever got rid of it,will almost certainly go for one,but the majority of the 600's are factory restricted,i'd go comp next time for definate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I bought 3 bikes of jt and loads of gear. Always sorted me out.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I bought 3 bikes of jt and loads of gear. Always sorted me out.

was down with him today,he's lookibg after me,was well happy cant wait to get a bike in the road again :-)

Advertisement