Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catalytic Converter thefts.

• 14-09-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭

This is also in the Motors forums, but just to warn people that there is a spate of thefts of Catalytic Converters from cars, especially 4x4's around Limerick city and county at the moment. One factory car park was targeted yesterday in broad daylight while the owners were at work inside. At least 8 were stolen.
    The converter is part of the exhaust system and contains valuable metals like platinum etc which are either sold for resale or scrap.
    The thieves usually target high jeeps or vans as its easily to crawl underneath.
    They use some sort of battery powered cutting device that makes the 2 cuts required in minutes. They will also target converters from cars if they have more time.
    A replacement converter can cost anything from €700 to €2,500 depending on the vehicle type. Over the last few weeks, hospitals in Limerick, the Cresent shopping centre and hotel car parks have been targeted, and its all done in broad daylight.
    The Gardaí have failed to issue a warning on radio about this.:mad:

Comments

Is this still going on? Jesus! I thought that was a thing of the past along with car stereos. Cats have lead in them which makes them appealing. A buddy of mine owns/runs a big well known scrap yard near the NCT centre and he told me a few years back that he won't take in individual cats anymore because of this. He used to get 5 or 6 people a day looking to off load them. He also won't take a transit load of copper if you know what I'm getting at. Any chance you'd name the factory? I work in a factory in raheen that used to be notorious for car break ins until the walled off the boundry but is still fairly open and accessable. I drive a van too which is very easy to get underneath

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

First stereos, then airbags, then the contents of your boot at lights, now your exhaust, it's so annoying that you spend your hard earned money on a car and people see it as a way to make money out of it.

Advertisement