Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a real fire in my apartment?

Options
  • 14-09-2013 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys,

So I'm getting an apartment soon which has either a electric or gas fireplace(I'm not sure which just yet) but I would love to convert it to a open fireplace or even a stove.

I have tried looking online and I can't seem to find any companies that do this or who, where or how I can get this done or even find out more information. So, I decided to give here a try and see maybe one of you might be able to help me.

About the property: it is a duplex on top of another apartment.

If you have any information or would like to know anything else to help help me please let me know! I'm curious about how, where to go, who to speak to and kinda rough price it should cost.

Thanks for your help :)

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its highly unlikely that you have a chimney stack. Its even more unlikely that you can get one fitted if you don't - even if a top duplex.

In all reality, you aren't going to get a real fire.

Most modern gas fires are vented through a pipe not a chimney and electric "fires" aren't vented at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jojotheeskimo

Thanks for the info. Do you think if it is a electric fire it is possible to convert it to a gas fire?

Thanks for the info. Do you think if it is a electric fire it is possible to convert it to a gas fire?

Gas fires for use without flues exist but I've zero experience of them. They look like they require a fair bit of installation effort.

Hmm.. any idea where I can go to find out more information? I think there is a company here in Mullingar that sells only fireplaces. Probably my best bet? Thanks again for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Landlords look away now !!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Buy a house?

I am the landlord (-_-) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I am the landlord (-_-) ...

neighbours get your fire alarms checked the guy next doors wants a fire in his living room

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you considered what a pain in the ar5e it'll be carrying ashes down from the top floor every time you light the fire?

endacl wrote: »
    Have you considered what a pain in the ar5e it'll be carrying ashes down from the top floor every time you light the fire?

It's a duplex apt. and has a outside balcony with access to ground level so that wouldn't be a problem at all, it's not a apartment block.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's a duplex apt. and has a outside balcony with access to ground level so that wouldn't be a problem at all, it's not a apartment block.
    It won't be an issue as you won't be allowed put in a chimney stack or fire. The structure is owned by the management company and they won't allow you to alter it or interfere with the roof

Ok, thanks for the help guys!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

athtrasna wrote: »
    It won't be an issue as you won't be allowed put in a chimney stack or fire. The structure is owned by the management company and they won't allow you to alter it or interfere with the roof

Your lease probably specifies that you cannot make any structural changes without permission of the management company. There are serious insurance implications for any of this work

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You might get lucky in that there might be a chimney there, but its highly unlikely. I know of one apartment building that has open fires, and its probably the oldest apartment buildings that I have ever seen.

djimi wrote: »
    You might get lucky in that there might be a chimney there, but its highly unlikely. I know of one apartment building that has open fires, and its probably the oldest apartment buildings that I have ever seen.

A lot of pre-1970 flat blocks had open fires. That's been about as new as I've ever seen, and most of the ones that old are Corporation/Dublin County Council.

I have some memory that it puts the block insurance through the roof which then puts your management fees through the roof; and to make them even higher there'd be more sinking fund required for potential flue issues and a more complicated roof structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

djimi wrote: »

I lived in a (very nice) older apartment block in Bayside/Sutton. There were open fires/chimneys in the block, but they were all sealed up by the Owners' Management Company because of fire safety concerns/insurance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi guys,

So I'm getting an apartment soon which has either a electric or gas fireplace(I'm not sure which just yet) but I would love to convert it to a open fireplace or even a stove.

I have tried looking online and I can't seem to find any companies that do this or who, where or how I can get this done or even find out more information. So, I decided to give here a try and see maybe one of you might be able to help me.

About the property: it is a duplex on top of another apartment.

If you have any information or would like to know anything else to help help me please let me know! I'm curious about how, where to go, who to speak to and kinda rough price it should cost.

Thanks for your help :)

Jo

I live in an apartment on top of a house. All the houses have gas central heating but my lease prohibits me from having gas, so it's all electric.

You really need to read your lease before you start looking at putting a real fire it.

Then there's the fact the you're heating the sky with an open fire. A modern apartment will not need too much heating as you've the best from of underfloor heating, someone else's wasted heat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

What about a bio fuel fire?

http://www.thenakedflame.co.uk/

They aren't great, don't give out much heat, but it might be worth looking into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Hi Op,

I live in an apartment block (third story out of 7). When purchasing the apartment I specifically had my Solictor look into this.

It came back impossible to do.

Firstly, the exterior walls are the property of the Management Company who would never allow changes like that as it only poses risk to them.

Secondly, a letter from a fire inspector indicated that they would have grave reservations about installing a fire in a apartment of this type due to fire risk to myself and neighbouring residents,

Thirdly, I found no installer that I contacted was interested because of the extreme work needed to access the external side of the building and the likely documentaion that would need to be involved.
    A fire-installer has no interest in dealing with a MC and putting thier name on any paper that would hold them liabie.

These are the highlights from my experience when I tried to do the same. Perhaps you may have better luck but I hope it helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

manonboard wrote: »
    Hi Op,

I live in an apartment block (third story out of 7). When purchasing the apartment I specifically had my Solictor look into this.

It came back impossible to do.

Firstly, the exterior walls are the property of the Management Company who would never allow changes like that as it only poses risk to them.

Secondly, a letter from a fire inspector indicated that they would have grave reservations about installing a fire in a apartment of this type due to fire risk to myself and neighbouring residents,

Thirdly, I found no installer that I contacted was interested because of the extreme work needed to access the external side of the building and the likely documentaion that would need to be involved.
    A fire-installer has no interest in dealing with a MC and putting thier name on any paper that would hold them liabie.

These are the highlights from my experience when I tried to do the same. Perhaps you may have better luck but I hope it helps.

3rd Floor and you actually paid your solicitor to look into it? Did you really think there was even a remote possibility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

3rd Floor and you actually paid your solicitor to look into it? Did you really think there was even a remote possibility?

No I didnt pay him to look into it, it didn't cost me anything extra.

Yes I thought there was a remote possibilty, I was specifically interested in a stove. So I confirmed it (amongst other queries)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Surely a steel flue could be run outside and up from a free standing stove?

There'd be a bit of work in it but if the OP could get the MC onside (and owns the property) then what harm in asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

MugMugs wrote: »
    Surely a steel flue could be run outside and up from a free standing stove?

There'd be a bit of work in it but if the OP could get the MC onside (and owns the property) then what harm in asking ?

I can see why it looks simple but I doubt e'd get anywhere with a sensible MC. The flue is probably nt exempted development (meaning PP required) and as soon as one unit had it, others would want it and you'd end up with a mishmash across the block/terrace. At least as many people would hate it as like it and half the residents would be up in arms claiming danger or reduction in value leading to grief.

Advertisement