Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aviva Premiership 13/14 season thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hahaha ref has completely unfairly handed the game back to Gloucester and they won the game with a stoppage time penalty.

Alex King looks like you could fry an egg on his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Draaama

http://sport.bt.com/video-01363814401986?videoid=2684129715001

Dunno if BT have geoblocked this, but its that try from the game yesterday. Just brilliant from North to pull something like that out with 2 minutes left when you're down by 6 points. Never thought I'd see him do it below international level!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://sport.bt.com/video-01363814401986?videoid=2684129715001

Dunno if BT have geoblocked this, but its that try from the game yesterday. Just brilliant from North to pull something like that out with 2 minutes left when you're down by 6 points. Never thought I'd see him do it below international level!

It's blocked in my country, Ireland.

:(

Hopefully RugbyDump will put it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's blocked in my country, Ireland.

:(

Hopefully RugbyDump will put it up.

Crap quality clip, great try though. The ref should be shot for the way the game ended.

Shaun Edwards doing a defensive session on BT right now in the studio. Its a bit mad but it's fascinating to hear what he has to say

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

shuffol wrote: »

As bad as Henson is that is extremely disrepectful of Saracens and totally out of line with the ethos of what rugby is about. I hope Bath actually let him take a few kicks at goal just to punish them for their insolence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Shaun Edwards doing a defensive session on BT right now in the studio. Its a bit mad but it's fascinating to hear what he has to say

I only have Saorview, stop teasing me :pac::pac::pac:

The game is starting now.

Really hoping Henson plays well. Shaun Edwards was talking up his importance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Just watched the highlights of yesterday on BT sport. Looks like Tuilagi is back with a vengeance. I know that Newcastle need to go back to tackling school, but bloody hell, he was like a demolition ball!

Bath have a penakty under the posts but Henson isn't taking it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sponsoring the stadium announcer calls now? Really Saracens, really?

Saracens are just playing at such a high standard at the moment. They look extremely well coached. Bath the opposite

2nd game in the day of derbies is at half time now. Only saw the end of the first half due to the Top 14 game. Commentator said it was exciting for the neutrals, so good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Pablo Matera has signed for Leicester, that's a quality signing for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Northampton-Saracens is pretty good. Manoa in for a wonderful try.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

17-3 to Northampton and this is without Hartley, Wood, Coribisiero, North and Lawes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Buer wrote: »
    17-3 to Northampton and this is without Hartley, Wood, Coribisiero, North and Lawes.

I'm as worried about the NH games as I was of the Clermont double header last year

Buer wrote: »
    It's not like Saracens are at full strength either. No Vunipolas, Barritt, Ashton or Farrell.

I don't think Northampton will be able to do as much in attack against Leinster.

matthew8 wrote: »
    It's not like Saracens are at full strength either. No Vunipolas, Barritt, Ashton or Farrell.

I don't think Northampton will be able to do as much in attack against Leinster.

True but I would have thought Northampton's stars are far more central to their side than Saracens are theirs; they've far more depth in their squad.

I think Northampton are going to rely on their pack to physically batter into Leinster. They don't have a huge amount of guile behind the pack but the battering rams like Burrell will get them on the front foot.

If Leinster can match them physically and hold them on the gain line they've a good chance but with guys of the power of Lawes and Hartley, that's a big ask.

• Advertisement

Why aren't any of those guys playing?

England camp I believe.

I assume it's part of the elite squad agreement between PRL and the RFU. Players are released from club duty 14 days in advance of the autumn internationals and the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

England are playing Australia next weekend.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Everything good from saints today has come through myler, he needs to be given as little space as possible in our double header.

I wonder what the physics behind "hand went back but ball went forward" judgement are? ?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I wonder what the physics behind "hand went back but ball went forward" judgement are? ?

Basically it's relative velocity. I think an easy way to judge it is unless the passer got tackled after giving the pass, if the ball is behind him after he passes it, it is then a backward pass.

Basically it's relative velocity. I think an easy way to judge it is unless the passer got tackled after giving the pass, if the ball is behind him after he passes it, it is then a backward pass.

Still doesn't explain how if the hand movement is backward how the ball can go forward, regardless of the velocity of the player.
    Its just extra elastic for the tmo in my opinion.

If you're driving in a car at 60mph and throw a rock out the window. From the spot you throw the rock which direction will it move? Forward from the spot or backwards?

Still doesn't explain how if the hand movement is backward how the ball can go forward, regardless of the velocity of the player.

It does if you think about the momentum of the carrier making the ball actually travel forward despite being thrown in a backwards motion. It's one of those things that we innately perform without ever noticing until it's slowed down.

The classic video that explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMlDy2jP9s

Ball is passed in backwards movement but it drifts forward due to player's own velocity.

• Advertisement

Because the hand isn't actually moving backwards. The hand is moving backwards relative to the rest of the player's body, ie he is moving his hand backwards from his point of view, but because the rest of the body is moving forward so fast the hand is actually going forward, and hence the ball is going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

I for one am delighted the passing rule is finally being refereed properly.

Wasps Leicester is an alright game. Goode playing pretty well for Wasps, instrumental for their try and good off the tee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Wasps Leicester is an alright game. Goode playing pretty well for Wasps, instrumental for their try and good off the tee.

Goode has been brilliant in this second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Good match for Goode. Brilliant kick, game over.

2 tries for Eamonn Sheridan today against Gloucester. The first wasn't much, pretty much fell over the line, and the second wasn't great either, but he looks a good player and someone who might be worth signing by an Irish province.

Unfortunately Hagan hasn't looked great since he came on and O'Leary still has a very poor pass and was probably the main man responsible for blowing a try 1 metre out by not deciding to go wide with an outrageous numerical advantage.

Huphreys with 2 missed kicks also, 1 was extremely makeable. Might cost them the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

2 tries for Eamonn Sheridan today against Gloucester. The first wasn't much, pretty much fell over the line, and the second wasn't great either, but he looks a good player and someone who might be worth signing by an Irish province.

Unfortunately Hagan hasn't looked great since he came on and O'Leary still has a very poor pass and was probably the main man responsible for blowing a try 1 metre out by not deciding to go wide with an outrageous numerical advantage.

Huphreys with 2 missed kicks also, 1 was extremely makeable. Might cost them the game.

Sheridan is under contract until the end of next season, when he'll have just turned 26. He could be an option for the provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

just watched highlights of saracens v LI on setanta. Allianz park is a soulless experience. The crowd was poor by the looks of it and the ground is wide open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

aimee1 wrote: »
    just watched highlights of saracens v LI on setanta. Allianz park is a soulless experience. The crowd was poor by the looks of it and the ground is wide open.

Are Sarries not discussing a move away from there at the moment?

• Advertisement

Are they? They've only just moved in this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You are probably thinking of Sale Sharks. Another soulless dreary ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Winters wrote: »
    You are probably thinking of Sale Sharks. Another soulless dreary ground.

Crap! It's very possible, the story was on skys site at the weekend, it may have been a typo or I misread it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I saw this on the PR website

Preview: Sale v Saracens
    Round 14 of the Premiership kicks-off with a mouth-watering fixture between Sale and Saracens at the AJ Bell Stadium on Friday.

Mouth-watering? Really?

If nothing else the PRL and it's media partners do their bit in marketing the Premiership. I hope to see something similar happen with the Pro 12 next season when Sky get on board.

Mouth watering, no!

It is an important game though. In the Rabo we've 5 teams going for the playoffs and that's it, Lanelli are too far down the table to realistically challenge (unless they win in Belfast).

The Aviva is different as there's a lot of teams in contention for the play off spots of which Sale are one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I was over there last month for the Connacht game (we'll say no more of that.. :o ). The ground is a bit open, but the club do a huge amount to make the fan experience a good one - from laying on free transfer buses to the stadium, volunteers directing you from the bus stop, plenty of bars and restaurants at the ground, plenty of "razzmatazz" and entertainment for kids. The fans we met were good craic and very committed to following their team, including the £500 cost of a season ticket! Certainly not soulless, and very much the impression of a family club, despite perceptions over here of Nigel Wray and money-grabbing backstabbers...

• Advertisement

It is actually a decent match-up. Sale are in contention for the playoffs and are in good form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It is actually a decent match-up. Sale are in contention for the playoffs and are in good form.

I'm sure it is but then Ulster v Scarlets (3rd v 5th) in the Pro 12 is too but there is bugger all hype about it.

I suppose I'm just praising the Premiership marketing men, which whatever you may think about the PRL, are very good at their job.

Tomas O'Leary is after picking up a red card today.

Bath Exeter is brilliant despite Andrew Small's constant blowing of the whistle. 3 great tries by Bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Tomas O'Leary is after picking up a red card today.

is there a video anywhere of this incident?

is there a video anywhere of this incident?

The full match is up on the Aviva Premiership site. You'll have to go to the full game video though and skip to 54mins.

He stood on the guys head all right but it wasn't really a stamp in that there was no real power in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement