Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house wait!! ??

Options
  • 14-09-2013 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi all, me and my partner are currently on a council house waiting list, we have been on it over 3 years we have two children. we are privately renting atm but it is not going great recently as our landlord is quite frankly a pain in the !!!! he calls when he pleases for rent there is no routine to it, he will not allow us pay through bank, he is a pain if we need him for anything eg something broke, need a form filled out! etc ! anyway Im just wondering if I went to the council and expressed how much we really want to get out of this house would we be offered a house any quicker? we will be 4 years on the list soon! also does anyone know if I can find out where we are on the waiting list, I heard you could but find this hard to believe! thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why can't you just rent a different house?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No Pants wrote: »
    Not sure why the council need to give you a house.

The OP has been accepted onto the council housing list, so presumable he/she fitted the criteria at the time of initial application. If you have a problem with the whole system (and personally I do), then talk to your TD about it rather than taking it out on the OP who is just exercising his/her rights as a citizen according to current Irish law.

That said - OP, of course you can ask the council. But likely they cannot tell you exactly: the last time I heard, the average wait for a 3-bed in Galway was seven years, but that doesn't mean that everyone got one after seven years: it's all about when existing tenants no longer need the house they're currently in, and who has the greatest need at that time.

There are all sorts of circumstances which might mean that individuals get moved up the list, but I don't think that having a LL who's a pain is one of them. As someone said, you might consider just moving somewhere else, depending on what the market is like in your area.

Another option might be telling the council that you will accept voluntary housing: this is owned by various housing associations, and you cannot ever buy it (unless this bit has changed - there was talk of changing it). But it's like council housing in all other ways, except that you deal with the housing mastication rather than the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭lauraelaine

im sorry I should have stated in my original post that of course we are willing to move move but the reason for my curiosity about the council house is really the fact that if we did up and leave here and then an offer came through for a council just after we moved to a different house would not be very practical, so I would just like to know whether or not it would be worth my while leaving here! and as for the person that said they don't know why I need a council house?!? well I am on rent allowance and on the council list. if I get a council house I am off rent allowance! how could you not understand why someone needs a council house!? not everyone can buy their own house unfortunately!

Local authorities are the main providers of social housing or ‘housing authorities’ for people who cannot afford to buy their own homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Local authorities are the main providers of social housing or ‘housing authorities’ for people who cannot afford to buy their own homes.

Suppose everyone needs to buy a house!
    Nothing wrong with renting privately no?

Op If your not happy where you're renting currently, I'd give the landlord notice and find a new place. Then inform the council of change of address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

im sorry I should have stated in my original post that of course we are willing to move move but the reason for my curiosity about the council house is really the fact that if we did up and leave here and then an offer came through for a council just after we moved to a different house would not be very practical, so I would just like to know whether or not it would be worth my while leaving here! and as for the person that said they don't know why I need a council house?!? well I am on rent allowance and on the council list. if I get a council house I am off rent allowance! how could you not understand why someone needs a council house!? not everyone can buy their own house unfortunately!

This bs of people who disagree with the council giving "free houses" comes up often on boards.ie. Most rational human beings dont regard a 3 bed house from the local housing authority, which can cost up to €900 a month in rent in some areas, as a free house.

To answer your question: If the LL is hassling you then just move. My partner and I (+3 kids) have been on the waiting list since 2005. Last we checked we're on top of the list and we can expect word in the next 7-8 months! That's Louth CoCo, FYI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

i've 3 kids and am on the waiting list since 2003 and privately renting so i know well how you feel

yea its not nice to put people down for being on a council list and it is most certainly not a free house! I also know plenty of people who are getting help off the state towards their mortgage! thanks yes looking likely we will have to move will probably speak to council before and after!

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    i've 3 kids and am on the waiting list since 2003 and privately renting so i know well how you feel

yes can get frustrating cant it. I feel like I cant decorate my kids rooms how they like as we could have to move at any stage!

Scortho wrote: »
    Suppose everyone needs to buy a house!
    Nothing wrong with renting privately no?

Op If your not happy where you're renting currently, I'd give the landlord notice and find a new place. Then inform the council of change of address.

that's from citizens advice website. I don't think its supposing everyone needs to buy their own home. private renting is fine but not ideal long term IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

yea its not nice to put people down for being on a council list and it is most certainly not a free house! I also know plenty of people who are getting help off the state towards their mortgage! thanks yes looking likely we will have to move will probably speak to council before and after!

Yes it's those exact people who get mortgage interest relief, mortgage supplement and various other benefits for their negative equity burden's that look down their nose at people on low incomes. It's unfortunately common on boards.ie...

Speaking to the council is a great idea- ask them how far you are currently on the list, what year applicants they are currently housing and how often they are housing applicants (i.e. 1 applicant per week)

It'll give you the best insight into your medium term prospects.

bigneacy wrote: »
    Yes it's those exact people who get mortgage interest relief, mortgage supplement and various other benefits for their negative equity burden's that look down their nose at people on low incomes. It's unfortunately common on boards.ie...

Speaking to the council is a great idea- ask them how far you are currently on the list, what year applicants they are currently housing and how often they are housing applicants (i.e. 1 applicant per week)

It'll give you the best insight into your medium term prospects.

yes I totally agree. surprised there is still this level of snobbery in our current financial climate! thanks for your response that is what I was thinking of doing, just really made the post to see if anyone knew would/could the council give you a rough idea of when you may get an offer! thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

If you have a problem with the whole system (and personally I do), then talk to your TD about it rather than taking it out on the OP who is just exercising his/her rights as a citizen according to current Irish law.
    Taking it out? Seriously?

My point or question, which I probably didn't express very well, is that if the OP is able to rent privately at present, then they can choose to rent/live elsewhere. I'm not sure where the council needs to come into it. But I think that question has already been asked by someone else.

Taking it out? Seriously?

My point or question, which I probably didn't express very well, is that if the OP is able to rent privately at present, then they can choose to rent/live elsewhere. I'm not sure where the council needs to come into it. But I think that question has already been asked by someone else.

well I personally feel it is better for me to get a council house, rather than stay on rent allowance to pay someone else's mortgage

yes can get frustrating cant it. I feel like I cant decorate my kids rooms how they like as we could have to move at any stage!

with a council houseyou can do what you want to it (within reason) private landlords usually wont let you decorate and as you say a move is a possibility

with a council houseyou can do what you want to it (within reason) private landlords usually wont let you decorate and as you say a move is a possibility
    Yea exactly what i mean.. At least you can feel more like a council house is your own

Yea exactly what i mean.. At least you can feel more like a council house is your own

with the way the government are going my kids will be adults before we're housed,they have no interest in the housing crisis

Makes sense. That is one of the things that I don't miss about renting.

Makes sense. That is one of the things that I don't miss about renting.

Yes so maybe now your starting to understand more about how the less fortunate live

Yes so maybe now your starting to understand more about how the less fortunate live
    Sorry, who is less fortunate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

I'm sorry but "not being able to decorate" doesn't really qualify as how the less fortunate live. The real less fortunate people in the world have a million worries before they can start to worry about permanently decorating their kids bedrooms. Be thankful you live in Ireland where rent allowance exists. Not being able to decorate is a first world problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because that's how our social housing system works. Fairly simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

We don't know the OP circumstances so we can't judge or comment on her eligibility for social housing. There is council houses up the road from me some lovely people who needed housing and of course there are scumbags. Biggest problem is single mothers (you know the ones who get pregnant 4 kids and retire before they turn 20 on benefits never worked or even looked for a job) they move their drug dealing scum boyfriends in then and a nice quite area becomes hell. Can't say what town council but one these scumbags was offered a house under the RAS (which when you think about it offers just about the same security and freedom as a council owned house and in most cases are better built in nicer areas) she turned it down because she wanted a house the council owned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

We spent 12 years on the list and where so lucky to get a lovely 2 bedroom in a nice area as there is no way we will ever be able to afford a house in Dublin. I remember going to the bank in 2006 looking for 250k for a small 2 bed house in Gorey, was going to commute and the bank refused us (thanks bankers lol). Annoys me when people call social housing free, we pay 550 a month as we both work so yeah that's not free duh. Stereotypes eh.

I'm sorry but "not being able to decorate" doesn't really qualify as how the less fortunate live. The real less fortunate people in the world have a million worries before they can start to worry about permanently decorating their kids bedrooms. Be thankful you live in Ireland where rent allowance exists. Not being able to decorate is a first world problem.

haha i know this.. Lol i was veing sarcastic because of the comment he/she left saying they could not understand why i should get a council house.. I understand that sarcasm is very hard to get from text though.. But yea i know i havent got it bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Eight Ball wrote: »
    We spent 12 years on the list and where so lucky to get a lovely 2 bedroom in a nice area as there is no way we will ever be able to afford a house in Dublin. I remember going to the bank in 2006 looking for 250k for a small 2 bed house in Gorey, was going to commute and the bank refused us (thanks bankers lol). Annoys me when people call social housing free, we pay 550 a month as we both work so yeah that's not free duh. Stereotypes eh.

See that's the type who should be getting priority when it comes to social housing. There are to many people who haven't looked for a job or went to the bank to even try. Eight Ball may you have many happy years in your new home

Yes exactly there are more decent people in social housing than bad imo.. Stereo typing people in council houses is very snobby. I grew up in a council house. My parents needed it when i was young but have since been in a position to buy it from the council. Everyone deserves some help in their harder times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I know in South Dublin it is not possible to check your position on the list and you just have to wait to be contacted.
    I think, OP, you should do the RAS scheme, you have a lengthy wait ahead of you.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I know in South Dublin it is not possible to check your position on the list and you just have to wait to be contacted.
    I think, OP, you should do the RAS scheme, you have a lengthy wait ahead of you.

Thanks .. Dont know much about this ras scheme. I will definitely have to look into it!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thanks .. Dont know much about this ras scheme. I will definitely have to look into it!! :)

It's a scheme being offered to many people on Rent Allowance.
    You are invited to source a home of your choice, suitable to your needs and then you contact the council.

For example:
    If you're on the Housing List requiring a three-bed house, then the RAS scheme house must also be a three-bed.
    It can't have more or less rooms.

So say you find a house you like..you tell the Landlord about the scheme (hopefully he's aware of it; a lot are because it's become very common) and if he agrees, then you pass his name, address and phone number onto the council.

The council will contact the Landlord to discuss length of lease and rent.

The council generally will pay a little lower than the Landlord is asking for, but in return the Landlord is getting a long-term tenant.

So then you all agree on the lease length..it has to be a minimum of 4 years, maximum of 20 years.

All going well, you sign the lease and move into the property and you're there til the lease is up. Then the Landlord can renew it, if he's happy with you, and if not, the council will have to house you.

The benefits of the scheme is that you have a long-term home, the Landlord has a long term tenant and guaranteed rent every month, EVEN if you vacate the home and it's lying empty, the Landlord will still get his rent.

Bear in mind, you will be removed from the Housing List if you accept to do the RAS scheme but it is appealing to people who are on the List a year or two as you could be waiting up to 10 years for a council home.

This way, you get the home of your choice AND you can return to work if you wish. I know, being on Rent Allowance, you couldn'.t

Contact your local council to find out more about the RAS scheme.

It's becoming a nationwide thing now; with most Rent Allowance recipients being offered it.

PS Forgot to say..the council will pay 100% of the negotiated rent to the Landlord and you pay 10% of your income to the Council, as your rent contribution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement