Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house wait!! ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

haha i know this.. Lol i was veing sarcastic because of the comment he/she left saying they could not understand why i should get a council house.. I understand that sarcasm is very hard to get from text though.. But yea i know i havent got it bad..
    Let me explain myself further. I believe in social housing for people who need it. However, that doesn't describe you. You already have a roof over your head and the only reason you appear to have for needing a council house is because you can't deal with your own landlord using the laws and regulations that are already in place for dealing with him. Oh, and the choice to decorate. Sounds to me like you won't be a priority for the council. If you want that to change, you need to work on your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

that's from citizens advice website. I don't think its supposing everyone needs to buy their own home. private renting is fine but not ideal long term IMO

Well then make a plan to save to buy your own -that's why people make sacrifices & save .

It's not as though prices havn't become accessible now that the market has gone through the toilet.

If your landlord is " dropping over anytime" to pick up the rent
    Then you seem not to have a fixed rent due day -be an adult & tell him its not appropriate for him to be dropping in .

Set a day for rent payments, meet the deadline & pay it in full then.

I'm sure you were able to organise & put together an argument together to get onto a list for the taxpayer to give you a free house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭lauraelaine

Well then make a plan to save to buy your own -that's why people make sacrifices & save .

It's not as though prices havn't become accessible now that the market has gone through the toilet.

Then you seem not to have a fixed rent due day -be an adult & tell him its not appropriate for him to be dropping in .

I'm sure you were able to organise & put together an argument together to get onto a list for the taxpayer to give you a free house.

excuse me we pay taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no one is giving me a house!! sure we are on lower income than some! your problem seems to be with people getting a COUNCIL house not a free house! you're a snob who was probably born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you close-minded snob!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Haha Free house! You really need to do some research before arguing about this.

excuse me we pay taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no one is giving me a house!! sure we are on lower income than some! your problem seems to be with people getting a COUNCIL house not a free house! you're a snob who was probably born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you close-minded snob!!
    No one has mentioned taxes up to now and we know that one of you is paying taxes. Not sure what your point is.

• Advertisement

No Pants wrote: »
    No one has mentioned taxes up to now and we know that one of you is paying taxes. Not sure what your point is.

my point is someone saying I want a free house off taxpayers!! when we ourselves are tax payers! I hope all you people on your high horses get brought down to earth some day

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Ras scheme is a really good way to get trapped in a house for ten years... No option to move and if you do you won't get rent allowance again if you need it... I have friends who are housed on the ras scheme who are stuck and hate it, can't do up the house they are in and still have the same problems getting stuff fixed or replaced... It is a scheme to massage the housing lists and social housing crisis and I personally would not remove myself from the council housing list after a number of years to trap myself in what is still a privately rented house. If you have been in the list for a number of years it would be complete insanity to accept a ras house....

my point is someone saying I want a free house off taxpayers!! when we ourselves are tax payers! I hope all you people on your high horses get brought down to earth some day
    Everyone's a taxpayer if you look closely enough at it. Who is on the high horse? You're really going to have to work on your argument before you approach the council.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The person she was responding to mentioned taxes. The point was very clear.

Everyone's a taxpayer if you look closely enough at it. Who is on the high horse? You're really going to have to work on your argument before you approach the council.

You are on your high horse.. You are not making any sense in most of your comments either

• Advertisement

You are on your high horse.. You are not making any sense in most of your comments either
    Says the lady who can't deal with her landlord, so the council ought to give her a house.

Says the lady who can't deal with her landlord, so the council ought to give her a house.

I am entitled to a council house regardless of anything like that anyway. i'll be sure to let you know when I get my council house :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I am entitled to a council house regardless of anything like that anyway. i'll be sure to let you know when I get my council house :):)

Word bingo.

Who had "entitled"?
    Congrats, you've just won a turkey.

mikom wrote: »
    Word bingo.

Who had "entitled"?
    Congrats, you've just won a turkey.

strange person :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

So, going back to the original question...

You can try contacting the local authority and explaining that you're considering moving, but would prefer to avoid the disruption if you're likely to get a council house in the next 12 months, and see what they say.

On the other side of things, the landlord should not be dropping unannounced, and should be available (within reason) when necessary. Check out ptrb.ie and read up on what's expected from both landlords and tenants, and check if your tenancy is registered. Whatever about the other problems, explain to the landlord that with 2 small kids, it's quite disruptive if he turns up whenever, and suggest that you schedule his visits in advance - for example if he want to call monthly, then agree between you that he can call on the third Tuesday of the month, or something like that.

strange person :eek:
    Don't worry about it Mrs Molloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Constructive posts only please

Thoie wrote: »
    So, going back to the original question...

You can try contacting the local authority and explaining that you're considering moving, but would prefer to avoid the disruption if you're likely to get a council house in the next 12 months, and see what they say.

On the other side of things, the landlord should not be dropping unannounced, and should be available (within reason) when necessary. Check out ptrb.ie and read up on what's expected from both landlords and tenants, and check if your tenancy is registered. Whatever about the other problems, explain to the landlord that with 2 small kids, it's quite disruptive if he turns up whenever, and suggest that you schedule his visits in advance - for example if he want to call monthly, then agree between you that he can call on the third Tuesday of the month, or something like that.

thanks you - yes that is what I meant about the council, thank you for not giving me a load of stick about it! have already tried sorting things with landlord have repeatedly requested I pay through bank. he will let me for a few weeks and then ring up saying he doesn't want it in the bank anymore. he Is very hard to get a hold of. he sends his son in to collect money and we don't know what week we may see him, we have tried and tried to bring some structure to it! honestly we have! he wont even come in to sign a few rent allowance forms now and then, he lives ten minutes away and requests I post him the forms along with a self-addressed stamped envelope so he can post them back! he constantly changes from weekly to monthly payments, he also tried a while back to start charging us our rent by the day which would have made it more expensive, but we were definitely having none of that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

thanks you - yes that is what I meant about the council, thank you for not giving me a load of stick about it! have already tried sorting things with landlord have repeatedly requested I pay through bank. he will let me for a few weeks and then ring up saying he doesn't want it in the bank anymore. he Is very hard to get a hold of. he sends his son in to collect money and we don't know what week we may see him, we have tried and tried to bring some structure to it! honestly we have! he wont even come in to sign a few rent allowance forms now and then, he lives ten minutes away and requests I post him the forms along with a self-addressed stamped envelope so he can post them back! he constantly changes from weekly to monthly payments, he also tried a while back to start charging us our rent by the day which would have made it more expensive, but we were definitely having none of that!!

You need to get more assertive with this idiot; no tenant should have to put up with **** like that. The guy obviously hasnt got a bulls notion what he is at, so you tell him that rent will be paid on x day each month, and that he can either give you bank details into which the rent will be transferred on that day, or that he can call over say between 6.30-8pm on that day and you will be available to pay the rent in person. Personally I wouldnt entertain any method of payment other than bank transfer/standing order; if the landlord doesnt like that then tell him to piss off and find himself another tenant. In this day and age the idea of a landlord calling to the door to collect rent in cash is utter nonsense.

Ordinarily I wouldnt be one to suggest that the tenant get so demanding and bullish, but you cant allow yourself to be messed about like this. If the landlord wont sort himself out then you need to take charge and take measures to sort the matter out for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Again nothing "free" about social housing. Most people are surprised when I tell them we pay 550 a month for our "free" house. Yes I know there are people out there who pay 50 quid a week or less in some cases and they wont get off their arses and get a job but please don't paint everyone with the same brush.

I am thankful for the roof over my head but me and mine deserve it as we work darn hard to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

have already tried sorting things with landlord have repeatedly requested I pay through bank. he will let me for a few weeks and then ring up saying he doesn't want it in the bank anymore. he Is very hard to get a hold of. he sends his son in to collect money and we don't know what week we may see him, we have tried and tried to bring some structure to it! honestly we have! he wont even come in to sign a few rent allowance forms now and then, he lives ten minutes away and requests I post him the forms along with a self-addressed stamped envelope so he can post them back! he constantly changes from weekly to monthly payments, he also tried a while back to start charging us our rent by the day which would have made it more expensive, but we were definitely having none of that!!

I wouldn't mind the thing about posting the forms with an SAE as long as he deals with them reasonably promptly. While he is your landlord, signing forms for you is more of a "favour" as I see it, and I wouldn't expect him to pop over on request for that. If I was a landlord, I'd want to take photocopies of anything like that I'd sign.

Everything else he's doing (sending the son, chopping and changing when/how the rent is paid) is a complete PITA. Take a look through the Threshold website (http://www.threshold.ie/advice/) and maybe give them a ring and ask for advice on how to deal with that. Do you have an up-to-date rent book, or do you get receipts every time you pay the rent?

have already tried sorting things with landlord have repeatedly requested I pay through bank. he will let me for a few weeks and then ring up saying he doesn't want it in the bank anymore.
    This raises a red flag for me. It's possible that the money he's collecting from you, any maybe others, isn't finding it's way into a mortgage payment. If so, at some point in the future you'll also have someone from the bank calling around to collect the rent from you because they'll have taken ownership of the house. Make sure you pay the rent to the correct one.

I wouldn't mind the thing about posting the forms with an SAE as long as he deals with them reasonably promptly. While he is your landlord, signing forms for you is more of a "favour" as I see it, and I wouldn't expect him to pop over on request for that. If I was a landlord, I'd want to take photocopies of anything like that I'd sign.

Everything else he's doing (sending the son, chopping and changing when/how the rent is paid) is a complete PITA. Take a look through the Threshold website (http://www.threshold.ie/advice/) and maybe give them a ring and ask for advice on how to deal with that. Do you have an up-to-date rent book, or do you get receipts every time you pay the rent?

yes sorry should have added that we usually don't get the forms back in time. also frustrating when I ring or txt him on a Monday to see if he can make it in any day that week to sort out some forms and says he can not, and then I see him casually driving around the estate on the Wednesday! anyhow, that's neither here nor there! thanks for the advice everyone! and as for all the criticism I got, well I didn't expect that at all!

and sorry, no we do not have a rent book, we get a receipt each time!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Carriexx

bigneacy wrote: »
    Yes it's those exact people who get mortgage interest relief, mortgage supplement and various other benefits for their negative equity burden's that look down their nose at people on low incomes. It's unfortunately common on boards.ie...

Not a very nice comment!!! Yes mortgage relief with is about 3% of the mortgage I pay. No sorry dont get mortgage supplement, or any other benefits.

Really dislike comments like this, that put people down for having a mortgage rather than getting it off the council!!!!!!!!!!!! Its hard for us all to make ends meet these days - no need to go on like that! But unfortunately we al dont have people to turn to in times of trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    with a council houseyou can do what you want to it (within reason) private landlords usually wont let you decorate

Ahh, no you can't.

Firstly, it's still the council's house, not yours.

You can decorate without permission - but you'll need to redecorate it back to neural and fill any holes when you move out.

But you cannot do alternations without permission. You cannot get your own tradespeople in to fix problems - you get them fixed on the council's timeme, by their people. You have to fill in forms about your income regularly, and your rent is based on this. You have to notify they if someone moves out of the household - and provide proof about the date that this happens. You have to get their permission before someone moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

well I personally feel it is better for me to get a council house, rather than stay on rent allowance to pay someone else's mortgage

That person who's mortgage your 'paying'. may be paying enough in taxes to pay your rent allowance. How do you know you are paying their mortgage? Maybe they own the house outright? Maybe they worked their arse off to pay for it? Maybe they inherited it?

I don't think council housing is fair, not out of snobbery, but because I know plenty of people that have earned more than me in their lifetime that are living in council houses. The difference is, when my wages go down, I pay the same amount in a mortgage, when someone in council housing is on a reduced income, their payment is also reduced.

If people in council houses pay as much as private renters, they are free to move into private rented accommodation -or have I got it wrong? They are living there because it is subsidised by the state/council, regardless of income.....I am not saying it's free, but it is highly and in some cases, fully subsidised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Op are you actually complaining about the wait in getting a cheap house from the council. If you have a problem with your landlord move or at least talk to him it doesn't mean you should get a cheap house off the council when you can obviously afford to rent privately.

Op are you actually complaining about the wait in getting a cheap house from the council. If you have a problem with your landlord move or at least talk to him it doesn't mean you should get a cheap house off the council when you can obviously afford to rent privately.

no I cant afford to rent privately, that is why I am on the council list and getting rent allowance

• Advertisement

That person who's mortgage your 'paying'. may be paying enough in taxes to pay your rent allowance. How do you know you are paying their mortgage? Maybe they own the house outright? Maybe they worked their arse off to pay for it? Maybe they inherited it?

I don't think council housing is fair, not out of snobbery, but because I know plenty of people that have earned more than me in their lifetime that are living in council houses. The difference is, when my wages go down, I pay the same amount in a mortgage, when someone in council housing is on a reduced income, their payment is also reduced.

If people in council houses pay as much as private renters, they are free to move into private rented accommodation -or have I got it wrong? They are living there because it is subsidised by the state/council, regardless of income.....I am not saying it's free, but it is highly and in some cases, fully subsidised.

no if you read my comment again, I did not say I was paying their mortgage, the rent allowance is! and I also no 100% that is going on a mortgage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement