Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No afternoon parent toddler groups

Options
  • 14-09-2013 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here know of any Parent Toddler groups or coffee meet ups in Southside Dublin? Kinda going insane staying in the house the whole time with my nearly 10 month old and would really love to get out there and meet some other parents. I'm also pregnant again and due in March. None of my friends have babies yet and they've been the best in the world and so supportive but I find I'm counting the minutes down till Daddy comes home at 6pm as none of them are around as they work during the week.

Thing is... I have heard great things about the cuidiu groups and clap handies etc.... But they are all in the mornings between 10-12 which is when my wee fella has his nap. I really dont want to break his routine as we have him in such a good one at the moment. Mornings are really busy for me and if I could find a group in the afternoon it would be great. I'm in the Clonskeagh area but willing to travel if anyone knows of some good meet ups? Would be sooo grateful if anyone has any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Afternoons don't really suit people with older children too, as they are finished school by that time.

Some of the shopping centers arnd me have soft play areas for toddlers. Ball pits and the like. Loads of parents there. Any of those near you instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

pwurple wrote: »
    Afternoons don't really suit people with older children too, as they are finished school by that time.

Some of the shopping centers arnd me have soft play areas for toddlers. Ball pits and the like. Loads of parents there. Any of those near you instead?

Hi Pwurple. Yea I kinda figured that was the reason! I know a lot of mums have school runs etc. but there must be loads of mums just starting a family who don't? By the time I have Lo's bottle given and his breakfast and played with him for an hour it's naptime. And if he doesn't get his nap on time he's a tyrant! Lol. But he's soo good after it.

There must be some mums out there in the same boat??

I could check out about the shopping centre... I hadn't really thought of this. I'm not the best at starting conversations... But if I know it's like a group situation and we're all there for the same reason I think I'd find it easier to start up a conversation.

Im very near the dundrum shopping centre... But I don't think they have a play area...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I was in the same boat re naps and mornings and would have loved something in the afternoon especially since went back to work as most weeks i finish at 2.15. Theres no afternoon meetings in my area either so i but the bullet and chanced gymboree on a sat morning. She loves it i love it and even though she us an hour late going for her nap it doesnt bother her.
    I also bring her to a parent and toddler meeting on a monday when ive the morning off work. She does be alot more tired after that but it gets her around kids her age and she loves it too.
    For the past few weeks neither were on due to summer hols and i spent alot of timr in the park or the soft play centres and you would surprised the amount of people you get chatting too.
    They are there with small kids too so just as eager for a bit of adult concersation. Even if it is about the weather .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

If its only once a week it might be an idea to try going without putting him down for his nap and see how you get on? On the odd occasion I've broken the nap routine for something (as let's face it there are going to be times when it just has to be done) I've been surprised how well it has gone. Maybe if something was in walking distance or accessible on the luas you could walk there and he would sleep on the way/way back in hi buggy. If you are going somewhere that he is going to enjoy and be stimulated and busy etc. he may be able to hold out and have his nap after or a longer one in the afternoon.

While routines/naps are important, I don't think there is any harm breaking them every once in a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Would you go to the parent and toddler group anyway and let him nap in his buggy? When I had my two (14 months between them), the older one would play around but more often than not the baby would be asleep in the corner not a bother on her while the mammy's chatted and other kids played away.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies so far. Yes I think I'm going to perhaps have to try and hold off on his morning nap... He def wont nap at the groups... If anythings going on around him at all he's all wide eyed :-). Will just see how it goes and hopefully he doesn't get too cranky. I think the groups finish around 12 so would be around 12.30ish by the time he gets his nap which is 2 hours after he would be due to go down. He'd be awake for a full 4.5 hours and I just hope it won't make things difficult as I know how he can get. Will just have to try it and find out.

If anyone has any other info if there are any afternoon groups available anywhere it'd be much appreciated. Thanks again to all the replies :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

If he does get cranky you can just leave early. Thats what i had planned but LO stuck it out and slept like a log after it. I always bring something for her to eat just before i leave as she falls asleep in the car on the way home and she is that worn out j can carry her in and put her to bed which i was totally shocked at as thoughy she would wake like she normally does.

Hi all, so took your advice and went along to a group yesterday morning. It was a claphandies group (gosh they're expensive for what they are!). It was a playlab and LO enjoyed it. It was great to see him with other babies. And was really good for me to get out aswell. So think we'll be going next week. He managed to stay awake and went to sleep whe we got home. But only slept for a short while... And boy was he grumpy for the rest of the day! :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Try cuidiu
    http://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/supports_babiestoddlers_groups

My wife goes along to the local parent meet up which is in peoples houses.
    Its 25 euro memebership for the year plus 2 or 2.50 per meet.
    it covers insurance , newletters etc.

Shes been going since junior was born(3 years) and its been a life saver. They even put us in touch with their breast feeding counselor who was a great help to us both at the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I prefer afternoon things too because my baba often goes back asleep about 2 hours after waking up in the morning and I use that as an opportunity to get some extra sleep myself. I find though that it's not too bad going to morning things as long as you're not at one every morning of the week. I'd have something maybe twice a week and he just sleeps on me while I chat to other mums or in his pram. I'm in Southside Dublin as well and regularly go to the baby cinema screenings or to support groups.

He's terrible too if he doesn't nap but I've found he doesn't have to be at home to do it. I also think it's good to get him used to being out and about and napping not only at home, just for when we're away or times when I just have to be out for whatever reason.

Great that you got out with your LO - he might get better at napping while out after a bit maybe?

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. I've heard good things about cuidiu so will give them a try!

Murdy that's exactly why I'd prefer afternoon! LO always takes his name about 2 hours after waking. But I'm going to just keep going a couple days a week as its good for him to see other kids... And tbh... I really need to get out as well :-).

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. I've heard good things about cuidiu so will give them a try!

Murdy that's exactly why I'd prefer afternoon! LO always takes his name about 2 hours after waking. But I'm going to just keep going a couple days a week as its good for him to see other kids... And tbh... I really need to get out as well :-).

Sleep is precious I know! I'm usually just looking at him waiting for him to fall asleep again so i can close my eyes!

I usually go to the cinema in Dundrum on Wednesdays anyway with a group of mums. If you ever want to join us feel free to pm me!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Sleep is precious I know! I'm usually just looking at him waiting for him to fall asleep again so i can close my eyes!

I usually go to the cinema in Dundrum on Wednesdays anyway with a group of mums. If you ever want to join us feel free to pm me!

Ah thanks a million! Your awful good. Dundrum is really close to me. We're also trying to get a group meetup in the mum & baby groups thread at one of the panda cafes if you ever fancy coming along :-)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Ah thanks a million! Your awful good. Dundrum is really close to me. We're also trying to get a group meetup in the mum & baby groups thread at one of the panda cafes if you ever fancy coming along :-)

Sounds lovely - let me know what you get planned and I'll more than likely be keen :)

Advertisement