Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert German tips!

• 14-09-2013 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Okay so I'm a fifth year and I'm studying German, obviously... Anyway, I like the lanaguage and subject and is possibly one of my best but I'm struggling to do my best in it due to the aural. I find it very difficult to pick out what people are saying, even when it is repeated the second and third time.

So if anyone has any tips for German, especially the aural it would be greatly appreciated.

(I'm also sorry if this is unneeded or a copy of an active thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

For the aural go onto ARD on YouTube. It's a German tv network. You will understand **** all at the start but by the summer you should understand a lot of it. I got 65/80 in my aural by watching about 30-50 mins of ARD videos per week.

Buy 501 German verbs on easons.ie it's excellent as verbs can be worth up to 15 marks in the German. Plus German Verbs are quite irregular so you need to learn them perfectly.

Using phareses will allow to gain a ton of marks. The corrector love sentences starting with stuff "Meiner meinen nach" oder "Ich bin der Meinung dass".

The only way to improve your written section is to be constantly handing up stuff for correction and getting your teacher to explain where you went wrong. Like an A4 sheet might have 30 mistakes at first. But eventually you might only have 1 or 2.

The oral is piss easy. Just start leaning your role plays and projects this year so you aren't cramping after Easter in 6th year as it doesn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

hfallada wrote: »
    For the aural go onto ARD on YouTube. It's a German tv network. You will understand **** all at the start but by the summer you should understand a lot of it. I got 65/80 in my aural by watching about 30-50 mins of ARD videos per week.

Buy 501 German verbs on easons.ie it's excellent as verbs can be worth up to 15 marks in the German. Plus German Verbs are quite irregular so you need to learn them perfectly.

Using phareses will allow to gain a ton of marks. The corrector love sentences starting with stuff "Meiner meinen nach" oder "Ich bin der Meinung dass".

The only way to improve your written section is to be constantly handing up stuff for correction and getting your teacher to explain where you went wrong. Like an A4 sheet might have 30 mistakes at first. But eventually you might only have 1 or 2.

The oral is piss easy. Just start leaning your role plays and projects this year so you aren't cramping after Easter in 6th year as it doesn't work

Thanks for that! I wasn't able to do German in TY so I'm a bit rusty but I do the work and my teacher is great. We also have two German students this year so it's good to be able to talk to them in the class and know proper pronunciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Troxck wrote: »
    Thanks for that! I wasn't able to do German in TY so I'm a bit rusty but I do the work and my teacher is great. We also have two German students this year so it's good to be able to talk to them in the class and know proper pronunciation.

The oral is the easiest of all European languages. There is 7 set topics and there is about 35 questions which the examiner will probably have in front of him/her( I got a copy of the card and would scan it, but I dont have a scanner. Ask your teacher if they have it). Its really important to include expressions and odd slang like "naja". But dont make it obvious you have rote learnt. My teacher said one of her A1 students was almost thrown off her game, when she was asked where did she buy her hollister jumper. But they arent going to ask horrible questions. Its some you can prepare perfectly. They want to give you marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

This is the best advice I could tell you from my experience of doing German. Change Facebook, Twitter and phone all into German. The Internet and technology topic that comes up a lot, for me anyway I did have to do hardly any study on cause I could just rember all the words from my phone and Facebook.

Advertisement