Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Optic Broadband & TV bundle

• 14-09-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Currently with sky for TV with HD and Sky Sports and Eircom for 8mb Broadband and phone. Paying way more than I should! Fibre optic broadband will soon be available in my area and I'm considering switching providers.Need advise on which bundles are available and also getting a good service for my money.Dont mind paying a bit more for something that is much better !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Whereabouts in the country are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭podgemk

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Whereabouts in the country are you?

Limerick City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know eircom are talking about TV, don't know if its hd though, its pretty much UPC vs Sky. Don't know if magnet offer triple play? Don't know when Sky will get fibre though.
    It really depends on what providers service your address

the main options i have are eircom upc and sky .. maybe vodafone. I do really like the look of the new upc horizon box but i dont know if it will be as good as its made out to be. also might have to pay a lot more for sky sports and hd.i reckon any other isp will be better than eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

podgemk wrote: »
    the main options i have are eircom upc and sky .. maybe vodafone. I do really like the look of the new upc horizon box but i dont know if it will be as good as its made out to be. also might have to pay a lot more for sky sports and hd.i reckon any other isp will be better than eircom.

Well in my opinion if you can get UPC it's the best value and best guaranteed speeds followed closely by eircom VDSL (eFibre)

Sky aren't at the races on this one at all...
    I'm talking about broadband as this is the broadband forum

• Advertisement

Ya I really want the fibre optic speeds and sky are only offering regular broadband so they won't be getting that side if the deal . However I might keep the sky tv over horizon .. From a thread I've read it seems to be very buggy and unresponsive .. Also Xbox one comparability comes into play aswell as I'd like to use its tv features when it comes out in November !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

From a thread I've read it seems to be very buggy and unresponsive .. Also Xbox one comparability comes into play aswell as I'd like to use its tv features when it comes out in November !

I have the horizon box a month, and can't complain.

Very easy to make it an access point for broadband, consistent speeds around 55MB/s, reliable, low pings.

Though I would say the wireless feature from the box is poor - but that is not a problem for me, as i laid a CAT5 cable from the box up the wall and across the attic and down to a wireless router in far end of house. This gives me wireless access all over house - but not in my garden...yet...I might get a dongle for that ;)

I was "beliveing in better" for a while, but I got frustrated with the whole UTV set-up being in extra channels.

I have the horizon box a month, and can't complain.

Very easy to make it an access point for broadband, consistent speeds around 55MB/s, reliable, low pings.

Though I would say the wireless feature from the box is poor - but that is not a problem for me, as i laid a CAT5 cable from the box up the wall and across the attic and down to a wireless router in far end of house. This gives me wireless access all over house - but not in my garden...yet...I might get a dongle for that ;)

I was "beliveing in better" for a while, but I got frustrated with the whole UTV set-up being in extra channels.

Are you paying for the 50mb deal or the 100mb ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Are you paying for the 50mb deal or the 100mb ??

the 100Mb deal, but I'd be very typical of most users in Ireland,
    the websites that I would visit would be html heavy rather than flash or video heavy - apart from youtube - so there could be no physical noticeable difference in browsing.

Top 25 Sites Visited in Ireland
    1 google.com
    2 google.ie
    3 facebook.com
    4 youtube.com
    5 linkedin.com
    6 wikipedia.org
    7 yahoo.com
    8 twitter.com
    9 live.com
    10 bbc.co.uk
    11 aib.ie
    12 DoneDeal.ie
    13 independent.ie
    14 Amazon.com
    15 Amazon.co.uk
    16 ebay.ie
    17 rte.ie
    18 WordPress.com
    19 dailymail.co.uk
    20 paypal.com
    21 irishtimes.com
    22 boards.ie
    23 adverts.ie
    24 daft.ie
    25 googleusercontent.com
    Source: http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/IE

Not sure why websites like http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?t=26451 aren't in top 25, but there you go!

Take this boards.ie page you are looking at,
    According to http://analyze.websiteoptimization.com/wso
    its size is 465,452bytes.

a Download speed of 50 Mb = 50 x 1,048,576 Bytes=6,553,600 Bytes
    a Download speed of 100Mb = 100 x 1,048,576 Bytes = 13,107,200 bytes

so with a speed of 50Mb, i would download the page in 464,452/6,553,600 =0.071 seconds
    but with a speed of 100Mb, I would download the page in 464,452/13,107,200 = 0.036 seconds
    a difference of 0.0355 seconds, would you notice the difference?

Advertisement