Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books

• 14-09-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭

I'm a first year studying Electronic and Computer Engineering, and I was just wondering where would be the best place to buy the 4-5 books I need? Preferably second hand, or would I be better off just renting from the library?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 mbreen2

Hi, I work in the library in UL.

You can borrow 5 books at a time from the library, keep for 2 weeks, renew for a further 2 provided nobody else has reserved them/wants them and then renew again so a total of 6 weeks for your 5 main books. Plus you can get short loan books and use the ebooks too.....

If some book you need isn't in the library use this form to send in the request to the library to see if they are going to buy it

http://www.questionpoint.org/crs/servlet/org.oclc.admin.BuildForm;jsessionid=E7BC28BEAC325F3122415481F11751B8?&institution=13525&type=1&language=1&qphost=qpap03pxdu

Staff in the library will help you find what you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭ricimaki

As a second year in the same course, all I can say is I never used, or had any use for those books. For digital systems, the notes you get will be more than sufficient, and the same goes for programming (He literally photocopies the entire chapters from the book). As you will only be doing physics for one semester, its not worth buying it, and Circuit analysis had good notes on sulis last year. Maths is the only subject that I might consider getting a book for, but it does depend on your maths ability. I'd stick to the library for anything needed.

Best of luck with the course. Enjoy the lectures about dancing and piano (you'll know who I'm on about soon enough).

Advertisement