Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C.V. advice please

Options
  • 14-09-2013 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi all, I am currently putting a new CV together for myself. it has been a while since ive made one! any advice on necessary things or what can make a CV look that bit better etc.! thanks in advance!! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

This should be obvious but make certain your cover letter and cv have no spelling nor grammatical mistakes. You would not believe how often employers get badly written cvs. I throw them in the bin straight away because i think that if the person has a lot of time to prepare this important document which is supposed to highlight their suitability for the job, and they muck it up, what does that say about the applicant's ability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Quiet Girl

Write a personal profile on your CV highlighting your strengths & skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The obvious:
    Education: qualification; dates
    Work: company; position; dates in and out
    (if there are date gaps show that, don't lie)
    Work: brief description of the work, and skills acquired, accomplishments.

If you want to put in interests/activities avoid "walking, reading, having fun". But if you do something interesting e.g. rock climbing, acting, put it in.

Keep things brief. People do not want to read twenty pages.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Shouldn't really be more than 2 pages either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I think it's important to tweak your CV to each job you're applying for. So if the job spec says they're looking for someone flexible, a good communicator with a strong work ethic that can work well independently, make sure you're CV has these in your profile / skills & attributes. You'd be surprised how few people add these. Meaning, the first thing the employer sees is that they don't meet the basic criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Try and speak to someone who is in your area and see theirs/ask for help with yours. The style of CV varies wildly across sectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭lauraelaine

thanks so much everyone :)

Advertisement