Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber log houses and building permission.

Options
  • 14-09-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello guys.
    I've been told that you don't need a building permission for a structure that is not permanently fixed in one place.
    If it is true it leaves me with a question,if I buy a timber log house which is only fixed to the foundation hence it is not permanently fixed in one place,do I need a building permission?

Does anyone here have a experience with timber log houses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Being fixed to the foundation counts as fixed in one place for planning requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Masss

But you can move the timber log house,you cant move the concrete house.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Masss wrote: »
    But you can move the timber log house,you cant move the concrete house.

That's of zero relevance. And untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You do realise the planning fess is only €65? http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/PlanningPermission/pages/feesandcharges.aspx
    Masss wrote: »
    I've been told that you don't need a building permission for a structure that is not permanently fixed in one place.
    That sounds like an outdated and unthinking comment. Who told you this? The council planning department?

Permanent buildings aren't the only thing you need PP for. You would also need it for, say, keeping a mobile home or storing vehicles.
    If it is true it leaves me with a question,if I buy a timber log house which is only fixed to the foundation hence it is not permanently fixed in one place,do I need a building permission?
    Surely if it is fixed to the foundation, it is fixed? If it is designed to be readily removable, does is comply with building regulations?

Also, is your log cabin designed to be moved? If is needs to be moved, does that mean a more expensive structural design?

Advertisement