Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrough Megalithic Tomb - Glen of Aherlow Access

Options
  • 14-09-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to drive up to this megalithic tomb in the Glen of Aherlow.

http://binged.it/14VjBS5

Or what would be the quickest / shortest walk up to it.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

hi bawn79,
    i don't think it's possible to drive to it as it's on coilte forestry land, the barriers are usually closed any way.
    here is a map belonging to aherlow faite
    545134_10150997749820449_1058118813_n.jpg
    you could also access it from the r664, tipperary to the glen road, forestry entrance tipp town side of aherlow house hotel entrance
    level enough walk in to it.
    look up "galty mountains & glen of aherlow walks" on facebook mike's email and mobile are there, he dose alot of guided walks and would have more information on it,

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Thanks blackbird - I walked from the Galbally side a couple of times (the very bottom of the map above) but it was a decent walk. Was wondering was there any easier way into it. The Tipp town side is about 4km although as you say more level. Maybe a bike would be the way to go from that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Hows it going Bawn.
    From the Mount Bruis side, you can drive down a boreen which is about a ½ a mile past the school on the left hand side if coming from Tipp Town. At the bottom of the boreen you can park and the farmer doesn’t mind. Could be worth checking with him though as you have to cross his land. His name is Mr Power. From there it’s about a ½ hr hike at most to the top.

The other option is to park at the top of the hill before the viewing car park at Christ the chick, near Rock an tarobh. You can walk the full length of the boreen on the right if coming from town. (Take a right off the main road then take the rightmost boreen) It takes about an hour to get to the same spot as Mr Powers way but it has great views over west Tipperary and East Limerick.

There is a road at the top but the last time I was there about 3 years ago at the height of summer it was very soft and fairly over grown.
    Check Google maps or better still check Ordinance survey Ireland maps for more detailed access

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Paddico wrote: »
    Hows it going Bawn.
    From the Mount Bruis side, you can drive down a boreen which is about a ½ a mile past the school on the left hand side if coming from Tipp Town. At the bottom of the boreen you can park and the farmer doesn’t mind. Could be worth checking with him though as you have to cross his land. His name is Mr Power. From there it’s about a ½ hr hike at most to the top.

The other option is to park at the top of the hill before the viewing car park at Christ the chick, near Rock an tarobh. You can walk the full length of the boreen on the right if coming from town. (Take a right off the main road then take the rightmost boreen) It takes about an hour to get to the same spot as Mr Powers way but it has great views over west Tipperary and East Limerick.

There is a road at the top but the last time I was there about 3 years ago at the height of summer it was very soft and fairly over grown.
    Check Google maps or better still check Ordinance survey Ireland maps for more detailed access

Thanks Paddico - I've been up from the Galbally side and that takes approximately 1/2 hr so that might be Mr Powers farm (I visited the wedge tomb Corderry on the way up). I was hopeful that there might be a way up from the Rock an Tarbh side that was drivable. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

I think you might be best ringing the local Caoilte office as the road from Rock an Tarobh is very well paved. I doubt it is open for public driving but you never know

• Advertisement
Advertisement