Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watt Meter.

Options
  • 14-09-2013 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

gtpowerwatt.jpg

Just about to order a couple of these online from the UK. Is there anywhere here that I can get a similar product.. Basically it's a power meter that you put between power source and load and it will tell you volts, amps, watt hours, amp hours, etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What do you plan on using it for, there's plenty of meters out there. You just have to make sure that there suitable for your application.

What kind if price is it?
    A whole current meter will do the Same. Socomrc, Diris, revalco etc all have similar all be it DIN rail or panel mount for about 40+ euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Have you tried Radionics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

This is a nice one in Maplins,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/efergy-elite-wireless-energy-saving-meter-225407

I think it's about €49 in the Irish stores, ideal if you are interested in monitoring the complete household, i.e install at fuse board, and switch on/off items to see how your consumption changes.
    If not, as ted1 said, you need to give us more info as to what/where you want to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Thanks for the responses.... The meter I need is NOT for house monitoring. There will be two functions..

i) I build a few electronics gadgets and repair a few things as well. I want to be able to monitor the voltage and current usage
    ii) My old man has a wind turbine and the device would sit between the turbine and the load to give me the watt hours (so that he can monitor the actual kw hours that the fan is supplying).

I know that I could just use an ammeter to find the current usage, but what's important about the device is that it gives you the KW hours.. And whatever device I need would have to have the same...

Also, I buy quite a bit from Radionics and they had nothing similar (which I found very surprising).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The meter pictured looks like the type used in model aircraft etc, for monitoring motor loadings on batteries, and similar applications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Bruthal wrote: »
    The meter pictured looks like the type used in model aircraft etc, for monitoring motor loadings on batteries, and similar applications.

I trust the 130A then does not refer to amps. :)

Cerco wrote: »

I have a rc chopper, it takes between 40 and 45 amps from a 24v lithium battery when just hovering.

Meter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Cerco wrote: »

It does refer to amps.

Feature
    The Watt Meter is designed to be safe in systems using less than 60 V and carrying currents up to130A. Measures EIGHT parameters key to electric power safety & performance, Use it to Prevent peak currents damaging battery. Motor control, motors, wiring and connectors. Verify sufficient operating voltage under load. Set cutoff voltages, check battery capacity & health. Balance battery cells. Confirm proper battery charger operation. Detect receivers and actual operating current so as to make sure whether an UBEC is needed.

Specification
    - Operates Voltage: 4.8 - 60V, 0V with optional auxiliary battery
    - Resolution: 0-130A: 0.01A
    0-60V: 0.01V
    0-6554W: 0.1W
    0-65Ah: 0.001Ah
    0-6554Wh: 0.1Wh
    - Display: 16 x 2 Backlit LCD Display
    - Size: 85 x 42 x 25mm
    - Weight: 82g

It does refer to amps.

I think cerco might have been assuming it cant be a 130 amp watt meter if its being used on model aircraft or such applications. It is a surprising amount of current from model applications alright when its first seen.

Advertisement