Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog chasing shadows ???

• 14-09-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭

My Dad recently got a beautiful collie dog, I'm guessing the dog is about 1 1/2 to 2 years old, perfect temperament etc etc.
    She plays all day with our existing (old) collie and gets tons of attention.

Problem is every evening, when she comes into the house, for hours she is "stalking" shadows, then leaping four foot into the air and "pouncing" on the shadow, i.e hundreds of leaps every evening.

Was doing our heads in, but my parents have got "used" to it, but just wondering is there anything that can be done to deter her, or why has she got into this habit ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

My Dad recently got a beautiful collie dog, I'm guessing the dog is about 1 1/2 to 2 years old, perfect temperament etc etc.

Problem is every evening, when she comes into the house, for hours she is "stalking" shadows, then leaping four foot into the air and "pouncing" on the shadow, i.e hundreds of leaps every evening.

Was doing our heads in, but my parents have got "used" to it, but just wondering is there anything that can be done to deter her, or why has she got into this habit ?

She sounds like she is playing. Still essentially a puppy at that age, with boundless energy due to her breed. I would say more walks/longer walks, more mental stimulation in the house and maybe more interactive toys if it really is such an issue.

My collie is almost 9 years old and he still pounces on shadows, squeaky balls, shoes etc if he feels like playing. I think its hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm happy as long as the dog is happy. It's just that it didn't look like playing to me, more like a relentless obsession with the shadows. She has plenty of toys, including the other collie, but she heads into the corner and stays in the one spot, pouncing on her own shadow.
    Was just wondering, if I should leave her to it (she is doing no harm, whatsoever) or if I should deter her, for her own benefit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Can she be distracted from this shadow-chasing for any length of time?
    Has it become more frequent, or more intense, over time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

This sounds to me like an obsessive problem rather than just healthy playing OP. Border collies/collies can be very neurotic and develop forms of OCD. I have thankfully never had to deal with this problem (I have a collie and a border collie before her too). Id suggest consulting a qualified behaviourist to advise you, as I know this can become a serious life disrupting problem for both dog and owner. Some other posters might be able to recommend a good dog behaviourist in your area. Best of luck.

edit to add...your post appeared while I was writing mine DBB! DBB will be able to help you couldnt be in better hands!

DBB wrote: »
    Can she be distracted from this shadow-chasing for any length of time?
    Has it become more frequent, or more intense, over time?

She is a border collie, and we "knew" her for a while, but only became her owner about 6 weeks ago, so don't really know about frequency/intensity.
    Originally the dog was with a very old guy, who never paid her any attention whatsoever, then she got to our house and is enjoying a life of luxury. :D
    To our great surprise she was immediately welcomed by our other old border collie, and they have became bosom buddies and play act, wrestling all day.

If you call her, she hops up on the couch, and is quite content and relaxed, but anytime, we aren't "talking" to her, she goes on her "shadows" routine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

years ago,friend of mine bought old 100+yr old house,his collie was doing the same,and wagging the tail....years later he found out a child had died/killed in mysterious circumstances:eek:.....the dog was playing with the spirit of the dead child:eek:....got prayers said in the house...dog got killed the following day....he sold the house...only sayin.....are you sure its a "shadow"....sleep well tonight my friend........

years ago,friend of mine bought old 100+yr old house,his collie was doing the same,and wagging the tail....years later he found out a child had died/killed in mysterious circumstances:eek:.....the dog was playing with the spirit of the dead child:eek:....got prayers said in the house...dog got killed the following day....he sold the house...only sayin.....are you sure its a "shadow"

The other collie is sitting, in the same spot for the last 10 years, and she saw nuthin' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

My 1 y/o Jack Russell does this - only with reflections. Even if the tiniest glint of light reflects off a wrist watch she goes mental trying to bite it out of the wall or wherever :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

The other collie is sitting, in the same spot for the last 10 years, and she saw nuthin' :D

;););)

Advertisement