Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hard drive won't 'safely remove'

Options
  • 14-09-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭

I've put a 2nd hard disk into the optical drive bay in my Dell Latitude E6400. When I try to 'Safely Remove' it, it does, but then detects it again immediately. Is there a way of preventing this? I'd like to be able to occasionally swap in the DVDRW drive without having to power down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Is the drive optimised for performance or quick removal?

(Right click the drive > Properties > Hardware > Properties > Policies)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Thanks. I just set it to quick removal, but it still immediately detects it. Presumably I can just pull it out, assuming there's no files open ?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I just set it to quick removal, but it still immediately detects it.

Strange. :confused:
    Presumably I can just pull it out, assuming there's no files open ?

If you don't open any files on the drive after it reconnects, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to pull it. It's not that it is locked by some process, right? It disconnects just fine?

I get the "its now safe to remove" message box, then the Autoplay "what do you want to do?" window.

You can disable autorun for all drives:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:000000b5

• Advertisement

Yes, I've used that before to stop it doing it for CD's. That won't stop it detecting the drive though?

That won't stop it detecting the drive though

Didn't think it would, it should stop the Autoplay "what do you want to do?" window popping up though. ;)

Advertisement