Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Value Garmin Watch for Running/Duathalons or Should I go for an App?

Options
  • 14-09-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a Garmin Edge 500 for the Bike already. Love it, find it great for training. Use it for uploading all my rides after cycling and I find it great for motivation. I am looking for something similar to this for Running. My budget would be no more than €150 on a GPS watch.

I have read on here the Garmin Forerunner 310 and 410 seem to be the main recommendations for my budget, and also I already have the Heart rate strap for the Edge 500 so I would love to use this with the watch

Am I better off getting a Watch, or how do the App's compare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well if you already have a smart phone, you can try an app for next to no investment, so why don't you try that first?

After that, the 310 would be a better buy than the 410, as it supports multi sport mode, and the hard buttons will be easier to use in a race environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

Well if you already have a smart phone, you can try an app for next to no investment, so why don't you try that first?

After that, the 310 would be a better buy than the 410, as it supports multi sport mode, and the hard buttons will be easier to use in a race environment.

Which app would you recommend? I downloaded Endomodo but I notice it uses the battery fairly hard.

I couldn't recommend any of them as I don't use them, but if you're already using Garmin Connect, you could try Garmin Fit, which will upload directly to your GC account. Endomondo seems to be the most popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I find that endomondo is gone far to commercial . Constantly trying to get you to upgrade. The original app was good but its current version is painful. So painful that I got a forerunner do as not to have to use it.

A forerunner is ten times better than an app, its much easier to check as you run. Just glance at your wrist and you know if your ahead or behind your pace and can really push your self

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭GarethM

Hi there - I have a brand new Garmin 210 for 150 EUR if you interested.

Where you based?

• Advertisement

I couldn't recommend any of them as I don't use them, but if you're already using Garmin Connect, you could try Garmin Fit, which will upload directly to your GC account. Endomondo seems to be the most popular.

Sounds promising. :) I might try it, at least all my data would be in the same place then! :) Dont think my phone is Ant + so the heart rate strap wouldnt work though..
    ted1 wrote: »

A forerunner is ten times better than an app, its much easier to check as you run. Just glance at your wrist and you know if your ahead or behind your pace and can really push your self

What Forerunner have you?

GarethM wrote: »
    Hi there - I have a brand new Garmin 210 for 150 EUR if you interested.

Where you based?

Based in Tralee, Kerry. What comes with the 210 you have for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭GarethM

Hi there - its the watch and charger in original box. Ur HRM will work with it.

Could always post it to you. Pm me ur number and we can discuss.

Gareth

GarethM wrote: »
    Hi there - its the watch and charger in original box. Ur HRM will work with it.

Could always post it to you. Pm me ur number and we can discuss.

Gareth

Hi after checking online, their much better value on donedeal or ebay/amazon. Im looking for the closest thing to my Edge 500 as im very happy with that. I have downloaded the Garmin Fit app so Ill try that too see how it goes.

Ky Abu wrote: »
    Sounds promising. :) I might try it, at least all my data would be in the same place then! :) Dont think my phone is Ant + so the heart rate strap wouldnt work though..

What Forerunner have you?

Based in Tralee, Kerry. What comes with the 210 you have for sale?

I've the 110. It's the entry model and does everything I need it to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ted1 wrote: »
    I've the 110. It's the entry model and does everything I need it to do.

i didnt think the 110 would tell you if you are behind/ahead in your run?

• Advertisement

stevieob wrote: »

It shows distance , pace/speed and time. So if I'm at X junction I know I should be there in Y time.

Which model of Garmin shows you almost live how your doing on pace compared to the last time? Like a Virtual version of yourself to race against.

Which model of Garmin shows you almost live how your doing on pace compared to the last time? Like a Virtual version of yourself to race against.

305, 405, 310, 410, 610, 910. IIRC.

305, 405, 310, 410, 610, 910. IIRC.

Out of those the 310 seems to be recommended the most... Best value?

Out of those the 310 seems to be recommended the most... Best value?
    Yes. And as I mentioned previously, it supports multi-sport.. The 910 does too, but is far more expensive. Here's a review. If you add swimming to your other two disciplines, the 310 can also track your swimming.

Yes. And as I mentioned previously, it supports multi-sport.. The 910 does too, but is far more expensive. Here's a review. If you add swimming to your other two disciplines, the 310 can also track your swimming.

it's also one serious ugly piece of gear to stick on your arm

it's also one serious ugly piece of gear to stick on your arm
    If that's important to you, you're probably better off with a Suunto. Just expect to spend an additional €200-€300.

If that's important to you, you're probably better off with a Suunto. Just expect to spend an additional €200-€300.

410, 405, 610 & 910 don't look too bad

410, 405, 610 & 910 don't look too bad

The 310xt isint the best looking thing out there from what iv looked at anyway.
    :( The cost of it is a deterrent when iv an edge 500 already.

Any good offers out there on a GPS Garmin Watch anyone?? :):D:D

Would love to have the virtual partner as I use it for cycling and find it great for motivation.

The 310xt isint the best looking thing out there from what iv looked at anyway.
    :( The cost of it is a deterrent when iv an edge 500 already.

Any good offers out there on a GPS Garmin Watch anyone?? :):D:D

Would love to have the virtual partner as I use it for cycling and find it great for motivation.

i also have edge 500

just bough a Garmin 410 (with virtual partner) on ebay... waiting on delivery €125

if you have the edge already...at least keeping with garmin will save all you runs and cycles now in connect

• Advertisement

i also have edge 500

just bough a Garmin 410 (with virtual partner) on ebay... waiting on delivery €125

if you have the edge already...at least keeping with garmin will save all you runs and cycles now in connect

Im not really a swimmer, dont think realistically im going to do a triathalon for a few years at best.. would want to get my running good first! :) Have you a link for it on ebay?

Im not really a swimmer, dont think realistically im going to do a triathalon for a few years at best.. would want to get my running good first! :) Have you a link for it on ebay?

one i got isnt there anymore.. but keep looking, it was up and down for a while so could be back tomorrow. was $129 +postage $36 i think

it was on ebay.com, so check there, and .co.uk and .ie sites.... different options come up. just throw in garmin 410 in search box

cheap second hand one here going soon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Forerunner-410-Black-with-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Handheld-GPS-Receiver-/231061444081?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item35cc55d5f1

one i got isnt there anymore.. but keep looking, it was up and down for a while so could be back tomorrow. was $129 +postage $36 i think

it was on ebay.com, so check there, and .co.uk and .ie sites.... different options come up. just throw in garmin 410 in search box

cheap second hand one here going soon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Forerunner-410-Black-with-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Handheld-GPS-Receiver-/231061444081?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item35cc55d5f1

Anyone else see any good offers on a 310xt? or Similar?

Advertisement