Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cat

• 15-09-2013 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭

Hey all , I have decided to get a kitten .Its a long time since Ive had a cat and currently I have a few birds and a fish tank in my house and an outdoor rabbit.
    Any suggestions on where to get a kitten from?Apart from obvious issues such as litter training , is there any there any other issues I need to consider and prepare for ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I 100% recommend the <snip>. You pay about 80 euro donation but then your kitten comes spayed and with all his shots. (or if he's too young to spay, you bring him back free of charge)
    The kitten gets a vet check before he's given over.

I found them great to deal with.

And you're rescuing an animal that might have had a tough life up to that point. There's always older cats floating about if you like.

<snip>

I got my cat from there. Himself and his siblings were found in a skip when they were about 4 weeks old. :(
    He's slightly mad - he never really had a mammy so he doesn't completely know how to be a cat. He does funny non-cat things all the time or does cat-things really really poorly. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Can only echo rescue kitten; for the donation fee that you pay you're getting a big discount on the costs (neutering, shots etc. easily goes into 150+ EUR) and you help future cats.

Most cats understand the use of a litter box from day 1 but depending on the age of kitten they may simply not have enough control to get to it (i.e. a 10 week old kitten will not be able to go to another room to the litter box due to the bladder size).

Beyond that ensure you got plenty of scrathers, toys etc. and that there is no way for the cat to get up on top of the aquarium (keeping in mind they can jump up over 1m etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Where are you OP, then people can recommend a welfare organisation near to you. I met two gorgeous kittens that are in the care of <snip> yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I'm fostering kittens at the moment as all the rescues are full
    I definitely recommend rescuing

I went to look at cats on the <snip> website because I do that sometimes and found Noodles.

OP should adopt Noodles. LOOK AT HIM.
    I'm hopelessly in love but I really can't take on another cat at the moment.

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, it clearly states in the forum charter that posters must not link to or recommend on-thread, individual rescue agencies.
    This rule has been ignored in multiple posts in this thread.
    If people want to recommend individual rescues, do so by pm.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Apologies. I came to the thread from the "new posts" page and forgot which forum I was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP if you have a look at our umbrella list of Rescues in our Charter you can find out which are your local ones. They have website and facebook page links where you can take your time and browse all the different options before you make a decision.

Most will allow you to visit their shelters as often as you like before you commit to a cat for definite. You could also apply to be a fosterer either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

got a good bit of advice when our now 4 yr old decided to adopt us in the cold winter of 2009 get 3 litter boxes for different areas around the house and your a lot less to have accidents to clean up and it also allows the kitten more freedom to explore its new surroundings

Advertisement