Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IOS 7 - installing advice

• 15-09-2013 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondered when it becomes available on Wednesday, should I back up the things on the iphone 5 before I install it and if so how do I do it.

Sorry if it has being discussed on another threat!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yes, make a backup on your computer and you'll also have am iCloud backup. Personal preference, but I set up as a new phone and don't restore from backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Zcott wrote: »
    Yes, make a backup on your computer and you'll also have am iCloud backup. Personal preference, but I set up as a new phone and don't restore from backup.

So I plug it into the computer and do it that way. (I lost my charger so need to buy a connection for the computer) or is it possible to do it via the I cloud app on the phone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    So I plug it into the computer and do it that way. (I lost my charger so need to buy a connection for the computer) or is it possible to do it via the I cloud app on the phone.

I do it OTA.
    iCloud back up just before, just incase ;)

Double check your back up settings to make sure you are saving exactly what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

You should have iCloud backup (or similar like Google, Dropbox, etc) on already. The amount of threads on boards.ie about people losing their phones and all their photos and contacts is crazy. Don't just turn on iCloud backup, update your phone and turn it off. Leave it on encase you lose, break or your phone is stolen and check every few months that it's still on and working. /END RANT

I just update OTA (over the air) like kceire above.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dudda wrote: »
    You should have iCloud backup (or similar like Google, Dropbox, etc) on already. The amount of threads on boards.ie about people losing their phones and all their photos and contacts is crazy. Don't just turn on iCloud backup, update your phone and turn it off. Leave it on encase you lose, break or your phone is stolen and check every few months that it's still on and working. /END RANT

I just update OTA (over the air) like kceire above.

+1
    I have mine set to back up to iCloud every time I plug it in to charge and its connected to wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Personal preference, but I set up as a new phone and don't restore from backup.
    What is the advantage of this? Do you lose all your texts?
    Reason I ask is that I was having a problem with my iPhone, it was losing it's charge within a couple of hours. Brought it to an Apple store and was advised to set it up as a new phone. Afraid I would lose my texts, as there are some sentimental ones on there.

kellsred wrote: »
    Reason I ask is that I was having a problem with my iPhone, it was losing it's charge within a couple of hours. Brought it to an Apple store and was advised to set it up as a new phone. Afraid I would lose my texts, as there are some sentimental ones on there.

Yes, I'm afraid you do lose your texts if you do this. If you restore from an iCloud backup you shouldn't though.

I normally just set up as new to remove anything on there that I don't need and for peace of mind that it's a fresh install with nothing from the previous install which could ruin battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'm not sure why but sometimes if you restore from backup you can have battery problems. Restoring as a new phone fixes the battery problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

kellsred wrote: »
    You lose everything. But certain things remain in the cloud. Contacts etc

One advantage which I'm doing with Ios7 is that it feels like you have a new phone (o: It's a goo reason to tidy up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

There are ways of downloading all your texts from your iPhone. Use the google machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 tractortom

I have had a developer version of ios7 for a number of weeks now, and I have to say I don't like it. There are a few new features that are good. But the style and appearance is very "Microsoft" looking. I find it hard to see things in low light as the font is very narrow. So my tip is check it out online, there are many sites that preview it, before you upgrade, because once you do there is no downgrade option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

tractortom wrote: »
    I have had a developer version of ios7 for a number of weeks now, and I have to say I don't like it. There are a few new features that are good. But the style and appearance is very "Microsoft" looking. I find it hard to see things in low light as the font is very narrow. So my tip is check it out online, there are many sites that preview it, before you upgrade, because once you do there is no downgrade option.
    The fonts were changed in one of the betas. If you have it a number of weeks it might not have being changed in the beta you have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i'm going to install ios7 on an iphone 4s as a new install. What's the best way then of transferring contacts only from an iphone 4 onto the 4s?

I'll then be installing ios7 on the 4 as a new install and selling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I did a clean install and started on iOS 7 fresh. Beauty of iCloud means you don't have to worry about losing email, contacts or photo's.

ablelocks wrote: »
    i'm going to install ios7 on an iphone 4s as a new install. What's the best way then of transferring contacts only from an iphone 4 onto the 4s?

I'll then be installing ios7 on the 4 as a new install and selling it.

Back up your contacts to Google and then download them, or iCloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Back up your contacts to Google and then download them, or iCloud.

thanks, I used icloud.

Advertisement