Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Good Side

• 15-09-2013 2:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thought it might be an idea to maybe start a thread based on the good side of football. There's so much that it gets criticised for, some of it rightly so, but there's also a lot that it does right, including bringing joy to people.

No problem if mods don't think it's a good idea.

I'll start with the video that gave me the idea for the thread.

The smile on his face at the end is amazing to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What a class act, gone way up in my estimations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yep, won't see that get reported in the press!! Fair play to him for that, could easily have just ignored the guy. Alot of footballers have charities now that don't get a lot of exposure. But why would the media want to report on nice things?? Controversy sells, not charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    What a class act, gone way up in my estimations.

Totally. Fair play to cavani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyXyrcNeza8

In case you didn't love Ronaldinho enough already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

If your team wins a match, it's fine, if it's a derby match, it's totally amazing.

If your team looses, it's bad, if it's a derby match, it's the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Fans are given a very bad reputation. People should see the good side of them more often, instead of focusing on the idiots who bring politics or race into football.

light-hearted fans make football very enjoyable.

I don't even support Liverpool, but ya have to love fans who can create an atmosphere like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

sign of getting old , but I love sitting in saturday night watching MOTD followed by the football league show - easily pleased :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

At a pre-season training session, terminally ill Feyenoord supporter, Rooie Marck, is brought to the stadium on a hospital trolley. His last wish was to see Feyenoord one more time. Thousands of other fans give Marck a display and one last goodbye, as he sees his club for the last time. He passed away three days later.

See here for a more detailed article.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Leicester give a 'free goal' to Nottingham Forest back in '07. The original fixture was abandoned during the game due to a player collapsing. As Forest were leading at the time, the Foxes management decided it would be honorable to grant them the lead from the previous game straight from kick off. They chose goalkeeper Paul Smith to do the honours, as nobody would have bet money on him as first goalscorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Kaka has decided he does not want to receive any wages from Milan while he recovers from an injury he has picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The support and good wishes being directed towards Gary O'Neil. Also some LOI players who wouldn't be on big wages offering to help out by donating bonuses etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Because what else in life can inspire such epic commentary as this timeless outburst from Bjørge Lillelien, when Norway beat England?

I could watch this every day and never get tired of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Stiliyan Petrov's Charity Match - Stan decides to do a lap of honour, joined by his family, to salute the 60,000+ crowd that came to support his cause. Very moving stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Dave Barry scoring against Bayern Munich in '91. Cork City drew 1-1 at home before two late goals in Munich saw Bayern win 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

How is this the Good Side ?

Rega wrote: »
    Dave Barry scoring against Bayern Munich in '91. Cork City drew 1-1 at home before two late goals in Munich saw Bayern win 2-0.

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

uch wrote: »
    How is this the Good Side ?

Any goal scored against that lot is something good :D

Liverpool playing the Z cars theme as a tribute to Rhys Jones, a young Everton fan who had been murdered recently. A nice gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Rega wrote: »

Was at that game and possibly the worst game of football I have ever seen in my life.

Great gesture by DiCanio all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Rovers and Drogs are to donate half their prizemoney at the EA Sports Final to Gary O'Neill who is undergoing treatment for testiculour cancer. The FAI have stumped up 5 grand as well. Fair play all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

At a pre-season training session, terminally ill Feyenoord supporter, Rooie Marck, is brought to the stadium on a hospital trolley. His last wish was to see Feyenoord one more time. Thousands of other fans give Marck a display and one last goodbye, as he sees his club for the last time. He passed away three days later.

See here for a more detailed article.

That is truly moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I don't support Milan or Liverpool but I always thought this was a very nice moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

2 Irish Kids mascot for APOEL against Frankfurt - good story!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

http://nonaynever.net/15335/danny-ings-photo-goes-viral/

Simple gesture but made that kids day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

marwelie wrote: »
    Rovers and Drogs are to donate half their prizemoney at the EA Sports Final to Gary O'Neill who is undergoing treatment for testiculour cancer. The FAI have stumped up 5 grand as well. Fair play all round.

That was only the start of it...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/chambers-gives-up-work-to-help-oneill-fundraising-29611794.html

Great to see any League join together for a good cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

One of the most poignant moments I remember from any sport is when Billy Sharp scored the winning goal just days after burying his infant son, and revealed a shirt with "For You Son" written on it. Brought a tear to the eye

Just goes to show that there is room for sentimentality and personal emotion in the "macho" world of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Daniel Sturridge Gives his shirt to a Kid in the front Row of the Kop after every Game, as he said he was always the kid in the front row who wanted a jersey from one of his idols but they never gave it to him. Nice touch by him i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Cant find a video but there was a great moment in Euro 2012 when we were playing Italy, before an Ireland corner, Buffon was having a drink of water and he offered Robbie Keane some, Keane obliged. A few seconds of magic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Cant find a video but there was a great moment in Euro 2012 when we were playing Italy, before an Ireland corner, Buffon was having a drink of water and he offered Robbie Keane some, Keane obliged. A few seconds of magic.

:confused:

Happens all the time tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

We all know where we were that magical moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Were where you?

SantryRed wrote: »
    :confused:

Happens all the time tbf.

tbf, the thread was started with an incident of a player giving a fan a shirt, does that not happen all the time also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

tbf, the thread was started with an incident of a player giving a fan a shirt, does that not happen all the time also?

Context is important.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Context is important.

I must have missed that in the OP sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Great thread idea OP. Just a few things that make me have a bit of faith in football.

- Good-humoured fans and players, even when there's a bit of slagging. I remember last season, a lot of West Ham fans started singing 'Harry Potter, he's coming for you' at Jonjo Shelvey (presumably a reference to him looking like Voldemort). He had to laugh and applaud, which they loved. I think the abundance of angry people ringing call-in shows, etc., obscures a majority of fans who see it as a game, and fun. It's nice to be reminded that most people at games are looking for a good time without hurting anyone, and have a sense of humour.

- Players and clubs pitching in for charity are always welcome, but the response to Gary O'Neill has been really life-affirming. Considering the LOI is traditionally a very back-bitey place, the community of players and clubs (most of which are struggling themselves) really rallied around him.

- Improved analysis and awareness in the UK of what a tactically complex, challenging game modern football is.

- Fans being fair, and recognising good play from other teams. At the tail end of the season before last, I was at Tallaght watching Rovers beat UCD 2-0. A young UCD lad scored an absolute peach of a goal and, after a stunned couple of seconds, the West Stand broke into a smattering of polite applause.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Corholio wrote: »
    Kaka has decided he does not want to receive any wages from Milan while he recovers from an injury he has picked up.

Redondo did something similar didnt he?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Already mentioned, but the LOI's support for Gary O Neill has been fantastic. Not mentioned in this thread are the calender, the charity cycle and Joey N'do donating 3 medals to be auctioned for the benefit of the charity.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

godtabh wrote: »
    Redondo did something similar didnt he?

Onyewu did too, played a season without wages because of his previous injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Roy Hodgson was asked to step in and save the day for a month at Inter. He declined a wage, as he was helping out a friend, and took payment in opera tickets. Lovely.

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

DundalkFC GK Peter Cherrie signing a programme for his number one fan (Killian Moran) at a recent match at Oriel Park.

1452573_672002576166715_557532229_n.jpg

Cherrie also appears in the PFAI's "Spot The Ballers" 2014 calender in support of Gary O'Neill & The Irish Cancer Society.

1457501_672008706166102_169778366_n.jpg

Also included are:

Bohs – Luke Byrne*
    Bray- Daire Doyle
    Cork - Gearoid Morrissey
    Derry – Barry Molloy
    Drogheda – Paul O Conor
    Dundalk – Peter Cherrie
    Limerick – Stephen Folan
    Shels – Graham Gartland
    Sligo – Raffaele Cretaro
    Shamrock Rovers - James Chambers
    St.Pats – Jake Kelly
    UCD – Mick Leahy

geeky wrote: »

- Fans being fair, and recognising good play from other teams. At the tail end of the season before last, I was at Tallaght watching Rovers beat UCD 2-1. A young UCD lad scored an absolute peach of a goal and, after a stunned couple of seconds, the West Stand broke into a smattering of polite applause.

It was an absolute cracker by David McMillan. Thanks for reminding me of one of the saddest nights of my life, twas Sir Gary of Scotlands last game at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Goalkeeper's laces are open, he can't tie them because of his gloves.

Guy from other team does it for him.

Ref penalises the keeper for timewasting and gives a free kick, which the opposition then kick out of play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

1520807_382225721922966_1031235448_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

In this heartwarming story, Ajax fan Jay-Jay Willems got the the opportunity of a lifetime and stood in the boots of an Ajax player for two unique days. The video produced by The Ajax Foundation, shows the 8 year old, who suffers from a chronic illness, visiting the Ajax training ground, getting signed, and is then introduced in a press conference by Frank de Boer. The young star then takes part in a first team warmup ahead of the NEC Breda match.

A very nice touch from foundation ‘Opkikker’.

Fair play to the Aston Villa fans for the ovation they gave to Darren Fletcher on Sunday when he came on as substitute for Manchester United after overcoming a year long battle against colitis. Great to have him back in a red shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I thought Mourinho showing some appreciation for the Romanian translator before last week's CL game against Steau Bucharest was a nice touch. He took off his training top in the press conference and signed it for him. Probably remembered doing this job himself all those years ago at Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Atticus Lane-Dupre carried out his Make-A-Wish request as the 8-year-old kidney cancer survivor challenged the Portland Timbers soccer team to play his third grade Green Machine recreation team.

Ah and good old Landon Donovan hanging out with a kid with leukemia:

Got a bit of dust in my near the end there...

Also a nice story about Jose Mourinho and a fan from Los Angeles:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/real-madrid/9988996/How-Jose-Mourinho-gave-a-Mexican-cleaner-the-most-special-ride-of-his-life.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

"THANKS TO A charity called The Opkikker Foundation, one young Dutch boy got to realise his dreams recently.

Jay-Jay Willems, who is suffering from a terminal illness, arrives at the training ground of European heavyweights Ajax before being unveiled to the media by manager Frank de Boer."

Very well done!

• Advertisement
Advertisement