Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Good Side

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2013/12/17/sylvain-turns-street-blue

Distin greets young Everton on his return home from hospital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Ahh Ronaldo is such a good guy:
    Cristiano Ronaldo’s letter to Florida attorney’s office leads to dropped charges for Canadian fan
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/12/17/cristiano-ronaldos-letter-to-florida-attorneys-office-leads-to-dropped-charges-for-canadian-fan/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

The Good Side, how nations/regions can be uplifted and drawn together by their football team.

I.E. Ireland during Italia 90, the Ivory Coast in the past decade, Spain also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/09/bayern-munich-subsidise-arsenal-ticket-cost

Bayern Munich subsidise ticket prices for their fans in the away match against Arsenal, selling them on for €45 instead of €75.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Just saw this video today, and it most definitely belongs here.

An incredible achievement, and great to see positive energy harnessed from football fans, who often have a bad rep.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

^^ what an incredibly innovative idea ^^

won't sit comfortably with some, but a really good idea all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

1538664_650730664984600_495648656_n.jpg

Jose again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The title of the video is worng, as apparently it's not the son of a player, but the son of a businessman/philanthropist who runs a kind of football camp/charity, but the kid was actually substituted on in a game, and, surprise surprise, scored a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/mum-touched-prem-stars-funeral-tribute-her-young-104933172.html

Some footballers are good, upstanding people with genuine emotions and capable of touching gestures.

Swansea City's players turned out in force to the surprise and delight of a mourning mum whose young son died while watching Michael Laudrup's men play Manchester United on January 11.

The Welsh club vowed to pay their own tribute to Scott Bryant's sudden death, but his mum had no idea that so many Swansea stars would show up at the Morriston Crematorium to share their grief and show their respects.

Around nine first players, led by captain Ashley Williams, expressed their condolences in person at the chapel, moments after hundreds of mourners had said their final goodbyes to the popular 22-year-old.

The Swans players included Leon Britton, Wayne Routledge, Angel Rangel, Chico Flores and Ben Davies. The stars received a warm round of applause from everyone at the service as they shuffled in bearing a specially designed wreath in honour of Scott.

Photo courtesy of Wales News Service

Scott’s mum Julie Walters said: "I want to thank Swansea City. They also sent a beautiful wreath.

"They have been wonderful through it all."

Scott's father Stephen said that football and Swansea City were his life and the gesture made by the first team stars would have meant the world to his son.

Speaking before yesterday’s funeral service, a Swans spokesman said: “Everyone at Swansea City was devastated to hear about the loss of Scott.

"The club tries hard to maintain close links with its fans and the community as a whole.

"To lose a member of the Swansea City family like this is a tragedy, especially such a huge Swans fan as Scott and someone so young."

A regular at the Vetch and then at the Liberty Stadium, his mum described him as a healthy 22-year-old, and added that the results of his post mortem had proved inclusive.

Well played Swansea City

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

You were my guardian angel.

The day has arrived. You are leaving. It’s the law of life, but it is tough for me to imagine Barça without you. If I look back and remember Paris or Rome, the first image that comes to my mind is you lifting the European Cup. You gave the honour of lifting the trophy in Wembley to Abi, which just makes you even greater. My generation and those that come after do not know what the club will be like without Puyi in defence branding the captain’s armband and the number 5 on the back of his shirt. I think that nothing will ever be the same.

I met you 6 years ago. You were the captain and the emblem of the team and I was just a kid arriving, set on conquering the world. From day one we had a great relationship, both on and off the field. By your side I felt protected and I knew that if one day I made a mistake you’d always be there to save me. You were my guardian angel.

I know that I will miss our talks in the locker room, your advice and especially you giving us hell on the pitch. You are unique; a one-off. I find it amusing when they talk about signing “the new Puyol”. They can look all they want, but they’ll never find it.

Thanks for everything, Puyi.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

3_in_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

marwelie wrote: »
    3_in_1.jpg

Hardly a huge bargain and far from worthy of inclusion in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Aaron Hunt turns down a penalty after tripping over.

Ok they were 2-0 up at the time, but its still a nice gesture which the Nuremberg players clearly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

For all the criticism Ronaldo gets and football gets it things like this that shine a different light

http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/cristiano-ronaldo-pledges-to-pay-for-brain-surgery-for-10-month-old-real-madrid-fan/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

For all the criticism Ronaldo gets and football gets it things like this that shine a different light

http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/cristiano-ronaldo-pledges-to-pay-for-brain-surgery-for-10-month-old-real-madrid-fan/

He's got previous for this kind of thing - he's a bit arrogant sometimes on the pitch, and he's fond of himself (but i'm sure most of us would be if we had his looks and talent and cash) but he's got real heart. Great bloke, fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Shamrock Rovers Women's team hit the streets of Dublin tonight to help homeless people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

At a pre-season training session, terminally ill Feyenoord supporter, Rooie Marck, is brought to the stadium on a hospital trolley. His last wish was to see Feyenoord one more time. Thousands of other fans give Marck a display and one last goodbye, as he sees his club for the last time. He passed away three days later.

See here for a more detailed article.

Genuinely moving that is. It's a cliche but there are some clubs out there that are more than a club in how they connect with their fanbase and Feyenoord are one of them. I'm no Feyenoord fan but i've huge respect for them and their fanbase is incredible.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohs and Shamrock Rovers players visited Temple Street Childrens' hospital before tonight's Dublin derby
    '
    http://www.thescore.ie/bohemians-shamrock-rovers-temple-street-hospital-1370616-Mar2014/

7534-bohs-rovers_temple_st_childrens_hospital_visit-1-630x419.jpg

Before the return trip to Tallght in May they'll be visiting Tallaght Hospital

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sturridge surprising kids in a school. Nice stuff.

I laughed hard when the girl mentioned the dustbin and Sturridge's reaction :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Corholio wrote: »
    Sturridge surprising kids in a school. Nice stuff.

I laughed hard when the girl mentioned the dustbin and Sturridge's reaction :pac:

That was good, Daniel Sturridge is very relaxed in front of the camera. He could have a media career whenever he finishes playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Simon Cox donated £4,000 between four charities on Tuesday:

https://twitter.com/scoxy31real/status/468701316572008448

@SCoxy31Real: The winning charities of my £4,000 giveaway will be announced tomorrow at 3pm, keep nominating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

First the Palestinian flag was draped from the team bus during the team's triumphant open-top bus tour of the capital, now it has been claimed that the Algerian national football team are to donate their entire World Cup prize fund to the embattled people of Gaza.

According to quotes attributed to Algeria’s star striker Islam Slimani, the team will give up all of the estimated $9 million (£5.25 million) they received as valiant losers in the round of 16.

Yet speaking at a reception in Algiers where the team returned to a hero's welcome yesterday, Slimani apparently said: “They need it more than us.” The announcement was reported by the Jordanian football writer Waleed Abu Nada as well as the Dutch daily newspaper Algemeen Dagblad.

Just hope it gets to where it's needed most.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/algeria-to-donate-9m-world-cup-prize-money-to-people-of-gaza-because-they-need-it-more-than-us-9581338.html

EDIT: Seems I've been had and it's all bs...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2118017-islam-slimani-algeria-will-donate-their-world-cup-prize-money-to-gaza

http://uniladmag.com/sport/mesut-ozil-donates-240k-world-cup-winnings-brazil-projects/

Hopefully this turns out to be a real story, looks like it is. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Nice move by Ozil:
    Germany’s World Cup-winning midfilder Mesut Özil has donated around €440,000 of his personal winnings to 23 children's surgeries in the South American country. The Arsenal playmaker, 25, confirmed the news on his Facebook page, and wrote: "Prior to the ‪#‎WorldCup‬ I supported the surgery of eleven sick children. Since the victory of the #WorldCup is not only due to eleven players but to our whole team, I will now raise the number to 23. this is my personal thank-you for the hospitality of the people of Brazil. ‪#‎Bigshoe‬ ‪#‎Brasil2014‬."
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/world-cup/mesut-ozil-donates-440k-world-cup-winnings-to-brazilian-children-30439429.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Feyenoord held open day yesterday for their fans, with the standard 40,000 or so in De Kuip for the days festivities....however in the middle of it they held a minutes silence for the victims of MH17. Immediately afterwards the ground broke out into an emotional rendition of "you'll never walk alone" for their fallen countrymen. Was there and it was powerful, a great moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Two Newcastle fans were unfortunately on that plane that came down recently. Two lads just on their way to watch the Toon play in their pre-season friendly.

Sunderland fans have raised over £25K for a tribute to the two lads. Incredible gesture. Some things are bigger than rivalries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Not for the first time, Naismith is helping out those less fortunate

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/update/2014-08-04/evertons-steve-naismith-gives-tickets-to-unemployed/
    Everton footballer Steven Naismith has bought tickets for home matches this season and is donating them to the unemployed across Liverpool.

Steven Naismith commented:

"I come from Ayrshire in the West of Scotland and spent a lot of my life in Glasgow - a city that, at times, has suffered from high unemployment. Historically, a lot of this was the result of a decline in heavy industry and shipbuilding.

"Liverpool has a similar history and I am aware that, through no fault of their own, there are many unemployed in Liverpool trying hard to find a job and may not be able to afford a ticket. I thought this might be a small gesture to help those in that situation to enjoy a day out at one of our league matches."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cian Byrne was born into a world of Shelbourne with his dad being Andy Byrne (Ollie Byrnes nephew and played a part in the Shelbourne revival as a Director in 2008) and his mam is one of the well know Kennedys around Shelbourne who run the tea stand, tuck shop, make the tea and coffee for officials, etc... Yesterday a match was played in aid of Cians fight, with some of the Shels famous 2004 lining up against Ireland Masters side in Tolka, below is a picture of ex-Shelbourne captain and great servant to the club Owen Heary bringing Cian and all his equipment onto the pitch. The second picture is of current captain Brian Gannon bringing Cian onto the pitch as mascot on Friday evening against Cobh.

10568968_10152412007403138_7557923524338993361_n.jpg?oh=14692ea5d114fae4b3bc5ccf92e9503f&oe=54723B8A&__gda__=1416028531_228775f68d4c33081f7e27ac35dbceb4

10533560_10152401531283138_3065093875091566407_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Die hard Athletic Bilbao fan from Saudi Arabia travels to Spain to see his team for the first time. Very cool video.

http://www.canalplus.es/el-dia-despues/videos/20140929plucanftb_15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Guy Moussi who signed today on a 2 month deal with Birmingham, is donating all of his wages to 4 charities. A great gesture.
    The charities he has chosen are the Birmingham City Disabled Supporters Club through the Level Playing Field campaign and Stop Ebola.

The other two are charities close to Guy, one of which is a church, MIGDM (Mission Internationale des Querisons des Delivrances des miracles) in Paris and the final charity is the TEV Soma Charity raising money for the Soma Mine disaster in Turkey.

http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/guy-moussi-birmingham-city-ebola-2092789.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

article_img.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Posted this on our own thread but would like to share it with a few more of our friends here.

Last night a few of us Bohemians lads did up a tribute to a fallen St. Pats fan who was a good friend to many a Bohs fan. He was only in his 20's and passed in tragic circumstances. We got in touch with the club and they invited his family to the game and gave hospitality to them, as well as organising a well respected minute silence. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who observed it so impeccably and the family found so much comfort in what was done. Rivals for 90 minutes, LOI family for the rest.

10373715_940316032675309_6738953853573207858_n.jpg?oh=eeda933006611769ab3228845c06cfad&oe=55A86836&__gda__=1436289212_e9f720cc7684bf12f9ee01d5c185f538

11146190_939839879389591_8749183792684206841_n.jpg?oh=50a66ca377795f39db95541133555069&oe=55E10A7C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

Omackeral wrote: »
    Posted this on our own thread but would like to share it with a few more of our friends here.

Last night a few of us Bohemians lads did up a tribute to a fallen St. Pats fan who was a good friend to many a Bohs fan. He was only in his 20's and passed in tragic circumstances. We got in touch with the club and they invited his family to the game and gave hospitality to them, as well as organising a well respected minute silence. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who observed it so impeccably and the family found so much comfort in what was done. Rivals for 90 minutes, LOI family for the rest.

10373715_940316032675309_6738953853573207858_n.jpg?oh=eeda933006611769ab3228845c06cfad&oe=55A86836&__gda__=1436289212_e9f720cc7684bf12f9ee01d5c185f538

11146190_939839879389591_8749183792684206841_n.jpg?oh=50a66ca377795f39db95541133555069&oe=55E10A7C

Fair play. Fantastic gesture

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10340167_10206370649766152_7972768194344924621_n.jpg?oh=913a5ec9852a9d25dad8d0a75bb68bc3&oe=55A392B8&__gda__=1440282030_2a838a690350c499ce8afa3fb0fd8d18

Leicester City give a free additional season ticket to a grandad who hadnt missed a home game in 36 years with his wife but couldnt bare to go on his own after she suddenly passed away recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Thought this belonged here.
    B7JNFY5.png

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Thought this belonged here.
    B7JNFY5.png

Call me a cynic but I'd have preferred it if he didn't tweet about it.

Apparently while sticking pics of their kid on the www, they are quite private about their own name too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Apparently while sticking pics of their kid on the www, they are quite private about their own name too!
    I took his name out of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

You can't fault Adebayor for his efforts. It would seem his family can though. Jesus, he's often questioned for his attitude on the pitch, but with all that going on off it, I don't blame him.

Full statement on his Facebook page.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/440498/Emmanuel-Adebayor-Arsenal-Tottenham-family-facebook

DVDM93 wrote: »
    You can't fault Adebayor for his efforts. It would seem his family can though. Jesus, he's often questioned for his attitude on the pitch, but with all that going on off it, I don't blame him.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/440498/Emmanuel-Adebayor-Arsenal-Tottenham-family-facebook

Read this earlier, absolutely nuts. His family, if all true, sound like leeches. Interesting that he referenced it as a warning to 'African families'. The bit about his brother and the 21 phones is unreal.

DVDM93 wrote: »

Reminds me of similar stories in the NFL...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread141125/dallas-cowboys-tyron-smith-gets-control-battling-family-money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This genuinely made me smile.

Apologies if already posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I know what you mean. Can come over as self promotion.

Pelle did the same thing at his time at Feyenoord as Feyenoord do collections and days out for very sick kids in the Sophia child hospital in Rotterdam.

You can say why would a player tweet about this but i guess this kid's day at Feyenoord on April 15th only got better after seeing this picture

dAojdh7.jpg

Kid is 10, probably will not live beyond 14 according to the doctors so when his mom says: "He laughs a lot but when i saw him walking with Kazim on the pitch i saw him truly enjoy himself", I think that post on instagram does more for the kid than for Kazim

http://gogetfunding.com/project/mark-farrens-treatment-fund#.VUqLHfgHsT8.twitter

After six years of fighting against a life threatening condition,Derry city FC Legend Mark Farren needs our help. Marks 3rd surgery took place a month ago and surgeons removed 80-90% of a tumour.The invasive nature of the procedure has had a stunning effect on his speech and mobility. The Biopsy which followed has indicated that the tumour is a grade 4, meaning its highly aggressive. Being no stranger to thinking outside the box, Mark is seeking medical assistance from an elite cancer centre in Germany.The 6 week treatment programme is his best chance of saving or at least prolonging his life. This is the one goal with which Mark needs our help. Any contibution is greatly appreciated

30,000 quid already donated in the space of a week......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ajax players walked out with their mothers as it's mothers day there today!

I think there might be one or two girlfriends/wives in there in the absence of a mother.

https://twitter.com/AFCAjax/status/597383217558245376

• Advertisement
Advertisement