Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International money transfer fees?

• 15-09-2013 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,
    I was sending recently money from BOI365 to my account in China. Ive sent only 10e to test the transfer, I paid 12e to BOI which was debited from account straight away ( that was only fee I was informed about ! ) and instead of receiving 10e ( approx 77 yuan ) I got only 0.1 yuan which is less then a cent. 

I got a guy in  my Chinese bank to make a phone call to their head office and he said that the money has been received from Royal bank of Scotland (RBS) and not from BOI, so they probably took the additional fee (9.99e). 
    I had a look on RBS transfer fees and its 22 pounds (if I have an account with them, which I dont ) which they even couldn't take coz I only sent 10e. but they still sent me at least a 1/4 of cent just to make the transaction complete.
    I rung BOI 365 couple of times and all had a same answer : "The international transfers are out of our hands and U should ask your Chinese bank why money go through the Scotland." 

Obviously Chinese bank has no clue why money comes from Scotland and not from Ireland where I was originally sending them from and therefore they have no control of it what so ever.
    So I wonder Who is in control of it?
    The guy in Customer service in RBS told me that I should ring BOI and ask for manager, so I decided to do it via boards 1st. , to see I u can help me.

My friend had a similar story with BOI couple of years ago when She was sending money to the Czech Republic and money went via some German bank where additional fee was also applied. She went to BOI head office to complain and she got that fee back. 

My Chinese friends who send money from Ulster Bank have no problem at all and money go right away to China without any "middle man" bank.
    Im in China at the moment so cant go to the head office and complain, and at this stage Im not even looking for my money back, but just want to find out what is the actual fee all together? 

Is it 12e from BOI and then 22 pounds from RBS ? 
    Please do not take it as a complain, Im just looking for an answers: 
    1) Why money go via RBS ?
    2) What would be a final fee for money transfer, before it gets to China?

Kind regards
    Alex

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Alex,

Apologies about the delay, I am just looking into this for you and will respond as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience.

Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Alex,

If you can please pm me with your name, contact number and branch your account is held with, we will just need to check some details with you to investigate this for you.

Thanks 
    Linda

Advertisement