Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with what to buy for long range wifi

Options
  • 15-09-2013 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi

Basically I need to get a wifi signal for a club house but for two football pitches away. I have no power where I need it so looking for any ideas. What I want to start doing is streaming games and 3G is not an option so wondering what I need. I have a draytek router at the min that gives me a decent signal in and about 5 meters around the club house.

Any and all ideas welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Where have you got power? You haven't said exactly where the Draytec router is located?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Where have you got power? You haven't said exactly where the Draytec router is located?

Oh sorry. Basically we have the club house say at the top of a picture with the router and all power and then 2 pitch lengths away is where I would need wifi. At the point I need signal there will be no power just me a camera and a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

2 pitches away you need a proper point to point link

smee again wrote: »
    2 pitches away you need a proper point to point link

Pants.

So a cantenna and directional wouldn't work?

$ausage$ wrote: »
    Pants.

So a cantenna and directional wouldn't work?

Doubtful, most likely just get lots of noise if it's a built up area. You could try an outdoor directional AP like a Nanostation M2, but you really need to be using a pair of them in a proper point to point link (and to get over the 2,4Ghz noise problem you really should be using the 5Ghz ones).
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-M2-NSM2-CPE-Outdoor-Worldwide-Version-/130881006037?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item1e791da9d5

• Advertisement

Doubtful, most likely just get lots of noise if it's a built up area. You could try an outdoor directional AP like a Nanostation M2, but you really need to be using a pair of them in a proper point to point link (and to get over the 2,4Ghz noise problem you really should be using the 5Ghz ones).
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-M2-NSM2-CPE-Outdoor-Worldwide-Version-/130881006037?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item1e791da9d5

So can I power one of them off say a PCMCIA card?

No, it needs 18v power over ethernet. It goes as an external access point at the club house. If it's a built up area you're wasting your time trying to do it in 2.4Ghz TBH as every household router in the area will interfere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Just a decent outdoor directional antenna at the router end will do the job but it will need mounting up above head height. If the OP is outside 2 pitches away and the routers antenna is outside it will easy to a couple of pitch lengths. My similar setup works day in and day out at a range of 250m and I've tested it up to 600m and while there is an obvious performance hit at that range it still works. If the OP needs the wireless inside at the second location then a cheap wireless access point mounted with its normal antenna outside should work - tested here OK at 250m.

First off on a dry day run out some power for the router and put it up high on some ladders or similar then wander off and see if you can keep a connection to the routes config webpage. See how far away you can get. I find Windows 2 bars strength is good enough to connect back to the internet reliably. If you can keep the router connected whatever its normally used for so you can test any feature you want then all the better.

At the router end I use an antenna like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24Ghz-Wireless-14dbi-Outdoor-Flat-WiFi-Directional-Antenna-F-Router-Weatherproof-/250995566344 .

No not a house about. 18v I wonder is my car booster will do it's has a 18v or even use my car as the power supply and just have an inverter.

Just saw this and a review say he gets wifi 150ft away. Anyone used one of these before?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/compact-high-gain-directional-corner-antenna-for-wireless-networks-38205

• Advertisement

I dont know why but I just bought this.

Well at least it will give me something to do this weekend :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160395634189?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

What about buying a 100m roll of Cat 5 cable and hard wiring your laptop direct to the router. I reckon you'd get better signal quality than flakey wifi.

What software are you using to stream the game?

UStream, It was so random I as posting the game up on FB on a pic saying it was starting soon and then one of our old playins in Australia said it was a shame you cant stream. so i googled it downloaded the app and streamed about 6 minutes over 3g.

Shocking quality but was fun for him non the less. It als killed my phone battery!

So after some pints in the club house and a chat i woke up Sunday with a email receipt for a camcorder and a platform to record off of at a height. so i though Jesus I better get some wifi sorted.

Hence we are here today. Next home game not till 5th of October so plenty of time at least

trad wrote: »
    What about buying a 100m roll of Cat 5 cable and hard wiring your laptop direct to the router. I reckon you'd get better signal quality than flakey wifi.

What software are you using to stream the game?

Sorry only saw your 100m bit there now. Yeh was thinking taht only it would be prob 250 meters so was thinking of having a extension cable beside it and a switch or repeater then but just seamed to be too much hassle as it would be on the main walking route also. But I might yet go down that route.

Here's some top end gear for streaming over 3G/4G
    http://www.teradek.com/pages/bond?utm_source=linkedin&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=bond&utm_campaign=bond

Here's some interesting reading material on live streaming setup
    http://www.streamfoundations.com/1044/how-to-live-stream-101-a-complete-beginner-guide

It's a beginners guide and written in plain English not tech speak

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Just sp everyone knows a football pitch is probably somewhere between 100m and 110m, add two of them together and the space between and you have 250 easily. That's as the crow flies, add in the cable has to go around things it could be up to 350-400m.

There are legal limits on how strong WiFi signals and antennas can be and im fairly sure that antenna breaks them.

Never played rugby so wouldn't know the length of one, For some reason I had a notion of 2 pitches being side by side.

You could bring the router to the laptop (pitch side) with a power supply and run a telephone cable back to a phone socket in the club house.

It's doubtful you'll be able to do this with a single device. Get 2x nanostations and a 12V battery, a Nanostation will happily run on 12V on full battery. If you're getting a pair get M5's.

GarIT wrote: »

There are legal limits on how strong WiFi signals and antennas can be and im fairly sure that antenna breaks them.

But dosent that make it even cooler??? Its just that it has US firmware. There are no birds nests or any one going to be in the direction as it will be mounted on a flood light.

It's doubtful you'll be able to do this with a single device. Get 2x nanostations and a 12V battery, a Nanostation will happily run on 12V on full battery. If you're getting a pair get M5's.

A nano station? ok never heard of it. I will look into it. But prob monday when this new purchase dosent work :)

I have resorted to using my car and an inverter for power now so not too worried about power now.

• Advertisement

Never played rugby so wouldn't know the length of one, For some reason I had a notion of 2 pitches being side by side.

You could bring the router to the laptop (pitch side) with a power supply and run a telephone cable back to a phone socket in the club house.

I coudl yes but to be honest the hassle it would cause would not be worth it!

sorry yes there are end to end and a slight dog leg away from the club house

Here's some top end gear for streaming over 3G/4G
    http://www.teradek.com/pages/bond?utm_source=linkedin&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=bond&utm_campaign=bond

Here's some interesting reading material on live streaming setup
    http://www.streamfoundations.com/1044/how-to-live-stream-101-a-complete-beginner-guide

It's a beginners guide and written in plain English not tech speak

Great thanks! Ill get reading!

Capture.jpg

Just a FYI

Bring the mountain to Mohmad

Move the match to the nearer pitch and shoot the video stream from the clubhouse window.

Bring the mountain to Mohmad

Move the match to the nearer pitch and shoot the video stream from the clubhouse window.

Oh if only google maps could show the crator size holes in that pitch!

We are raising the money to fix it but as we train on it and in the wet as its the only flood lit pitch the bottom pitch is alway better quality and alot flatter!

So i cant see that happening any time soon.

A nano station? ok never heard of it. I will look into it. But prob monday when this new purchase dosent work :)

I have resorted to using my car and an inverter for power now so not too worried about power now.

A Nanostation is the Ubiquiti Nanostation i posted earlier

If you're using 2 of them get the M5's as they are 5Ghz and less likely to have interference problems
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-M5-NSM5-CPE-Outdoor-14dBi-US-Version-/140973806703?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item20d2b1946f

Thanks for this I will defo look at this next week if the other options dont work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

is the scope of IP cameras not much more limited with 5GHz as most are manufactured for 2.4GHz

aidanki wrote: »
    is the scope of IP cameras not much more limited with 5GHz as most are manufactured for 2.4GHz

That's why you use 2x 5Ghz devices to make a point to point link then use ethernet to plug in the IP camera

• Advertisement

Hi All!

So I got home today to the package. Its alot smaller than I would have thought but looks well built! I live in the sticks so i would be suprised if i found any wifi networks out here. I dont find any bar my own on my phone or my laptop but whne i plugged this in i found two BT routers god know where. I didnt install any special software just attached the USB to a xp machine and quickly scanned it round my room.

I am going down to the club tomorrow at 9am and was wondering if any of you guys have any programs that you would like to see me use or test this on. I will prob put picks up tomorrow as im a bit lazy today having set up some pi's for my bro.

Anyway Talk soon!

Advertisement