Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collins barracks museum new parking charges

• 15-09-2013 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

That is so crazy collins barracks museum now have new parking charges.
    Why would they do such thing? museum is free to enter but they move the post and charge you to park?
    Its not like many people use the car park or they dont have the room its supposed to be free so people can enjoy the museum.
    I think this is a low low thing to charge for after all they get the use of the buildings for free from us the tax paying public.
    The national museum of ireland must be getting desperate that they would need to charge for parking in an otherwise empty car park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Witchburner

kajo wrote: »
    That is so crazy collins barracks museum now have new parking charges.
    Why would they do such thing? museum is free to enter but they move the post and charge you to park?
    Its not like many people use the car park or they dont have the room its supposed to be free so people can enjoy the museum.
    I think this is a low low thing to charge for after all they get the use of the buildings for free from us the tax paying public.
    The national museum of ireland must be getting desperate that they would need to charge for parking in an otherwise empty car park.

They're 'thinking outside the box'.
    An inability to move forward and a desire to remain dusty and old fashioned.
    The NMI are rudderless and need an injection of younger and more energetic staff who can independently think without worrying about the chains of senior management.
    Cronyism is live and well in the NMI and the staff are bound by it, or bound to watch it.
    These charges are nonsensical but will be paid. It's dullard thinking - a very Irish political way forward.
    They should be giving people a reason to come not to opt out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The NMI are rudderless and need an injection of younger and more energetic staff who can independently think without worrying about the chains of senior management.
    Cronyism is live and well in the NMI and the staff are bound by it, or bound to watch it.
    These charges are nonsensical but will be paid. It's dullard thinking - a very Irish political way forward.
    What is at the root of your problem with the National Museum?
    This is your second unsupported and potentially libelous accusation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

How much does it cost to park a car there?
    Is the money going to be used to maintain [including re-surfacing at some point] the car park?
    My car costs me 20 cent/mile in petrol...so I really would'nt mind paying 40 cent or so to park, especially if the museum is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Witchburner

i
    wayoutwest wrote: »
    How much does it cost to park a car there?
    Is the money going to be used to maintain [including re-surfacing at some point] the car park?
    My car costs me 20 cent/mile in petrol...so I really would'nt mind paying 40 cent or so to park, especially if the museum is free.

Its more the principle WOW, similar to Coillte and the woodlands that they own - or we - the public owned - they started charging for parking as they couldn't charge an entry fee as it would be frowned upon. Take Farran woods here in Cork, fabulous place to go for a walk with the kids but they charge for parking - I know several families that no longer go there because of this -
    We pay very heavy taxes and it should be our right to walk our woodlands - which is no different to the NMI - which in all fairness it isn't - however the introduction of fees for parking does not encourage people in.
    Its no different to the banks charging hidden fees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

kajo wrote: »
    an otherwise empty car park.

Is it that empty all week? Might be to deter people parking for free and nipping up to Henry St on the Lusa...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JCabot

Have to agree with you after having spent time there recently and don't see anything wrong with your opinion It's a point of principle

It's the same all over many of our important sites are becoming commercial entities for big spending foreign visitors, sets like newgrange, cliffs of moher and so forth are turning us local Irish away because of the greed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a free carpark there? I was never aware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

JCabot wrote: »
    Have to agree with you after having spent time there recently and don't see anything wrong with your opinion It's a point of principle

It's the same all over many of our important sites are becoming commercial entities for big spending foreign visitors, sets like newgrange, cliffs of moher and so forth are turning us local Irish away because of the greed

GOD that whole cliffs of nowhere

Carparking swindle is embarrassing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Thread was initially set up as a troll and has nothing to do with archaeology.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement