Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The return of Stephen Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

He's ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Quite simply , **** off Stephen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If he's good enough and he's willing to put in the effort why not? I don't care if he's weird, a liar, a moaner, etc.; if he is able to strengthen the team — which he is — then I'm all for welcoming him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I wouldn't mind if Ireland was our shining star in exile, but he's been awful for years now. He's talking as if he's the player of 6-7 years ago. The delusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Yep got to agree ireland is a terrible player now, whoever comes in as manager needs to get onto Anthony stokes and get him back he seems to be getting better and better.

• Advertisement

If he could stengthen the team, he should be welcomed back.

It's not as if the national team has an abundance of top midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Stephen Ireland should never play for Ireland again. He's a bad attitude and is now a terrible footballer. Good riddance to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Don't particularly see anything wrong with what he said. Nor do I think he's being arrogant. He actually goes out of his way to say that before there being a possibility of him returning he'll need to get into the Stoke team, play a rack of games & have some form that will mean he might possibly be wanted back in the Irish set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

If he strengthens the team he's more than welcome back. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

What happened to Stephen Ireland? Is it just poor form or was he badly injured? How did such a promising player loose his way like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tigger123 wrote: »
    What happened to Stephen Ireland? Is it just poor form or was he badly injured? How did such a promising player loose his way like that?

bad attitude, lack of mental strength etc - stuff you can't coach

if was playing well, I'd be happy to see him back in the side, he was a great player when at City. But its been a really long time since he showed any sort of form, and successive club managers have failed to get the best out of him - maybe Mark Hughes will have more luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

loyatemu wrote: »
    But its been a really long time since he showed any sort of form, and successive club managers have failed to get the best out of him - maybe Mark Hughes will have more luck.
    Hughes was his manager the last time he did anything so I guess that's where the hope of him getting back to his old self comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If he improves his attitude and form then why not?

But he won't more than likely so no.

Anthony Stokes, Gibson and Andy Reid (who's doing well for Forest) should make returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Stephen Ireland is unreliable and seems to think a lot of himself with not much basis for it.He shouldnt play for Ireland again IMO. No thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I suppose if there willing to let one player who walked out and abandoned he's country come back and manage the team. Stephen Ireland should be given he's chance to come back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I'd love to see Roy Keane manage Stephen Ireland. Imagine how many grannies would did then...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

He left us when we could have really done with him, so now that he is a second rate player he wants back in!

No way, he is finished!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

He has been rubish for years. Nobody will pick him on his form from Villa. Maybe it will turn around at Stoke but i doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I'd love to see Roy Keane manage Stephen Ireland. Imagine how many grannies would did then...

Thats a bit hard on the lad. I dont rate him at the moment or support that he should walk back into the Irish setup, but if memory serves me right he made up the lie about his granny dieing to cover up the loss of a child. It may not have been the right way to go about it but i am sure the mans head was up his backside at the time and the Irish team was the last thing on his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If he was to completely turn it around at Stoke, then yeah. But that is not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think people can be far too judgemental of footballers at times, and some forget that they are still human... if Ireland has genuinely learnt from his mistakes, is willing to work hard to get back into the setup and give it his all there, with no dramatics, then he should be given another chance.. we all make mistakes.. footballers included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

if Ireland can regain his best form hw would be straight into the Irish team
    he was Villa's POTY in 11/12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I think he will be a success at Stoke. If so, and if he stops being such a little ****, then he should be brought back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Currently, there is no reason to consider selecting him again. He has alot of proving to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Trapatoni asked him to come back and he refused.

As far as im concerned hes burned his bridges with the national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

He's ****e.

He'll fit right in so.

This is a side that plays McShane without any bloody shame.

By right, he should be told to go feck himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

He's acted like a petulant child, and seems to have some personality issues. If he was to regain form and fully commit to the Ireland cause on the Ireland teams terms, not on his own terms, then I can't see why not. No point in cutting ones nose off to spite ones face IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ideally he would never be selected for us again. He's not worthy of selection at the moment either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

mikeym wrote: »
    Trapatoni asked him to come back and he refused.

As far as im concerned hes burned his bridges with the national team.

Trapatoni never contacted him directly, and then claimed in an interview that he did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He had said before he'd be happy to play if he was called up. I think people are a bit unforgiving of a 21 year old wanting to get back to his girlfriend who had just miscarried when lambasting him for his initial withdrawal. His exile after that does leave a bad taste, but I'd be willing to take him back if he rediscovered his old form. That said, I can't see him getting anywhere near his old form, seems to be spiralling downwards.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Essien wrote: »
    If he strengthens the team he's more than welcome back. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past.

This is pretty much it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Stephen Ireland is an ex footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

JPA wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland is an ex footballer.

Maybe you should inform Mark Hughes and Premier League Stoke City as despite all there scouting and coaching networks they don't seem to have noticed this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I hope the new manager gives everyone a fresh start and invites everyone back into the fold. There's been so many Irish players missing over the last several years (for various reasons) that's the whole setup has genuinely become a farce. You could probably have put out a fairly decent full team of Irish players who were dropped, quit, snubbed, retired prematurely etc. That's fine if you're Brazil but Ireland don't really have the luxury of keeping all these players out in the cold. This used not to be the way when we were a top team and I think it's one of those things that has to be addressed seriously and eliminated by the new guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Him and McCarthy wouldnt be bad if Ireland did manage to regain some form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Him and McCarthy wouldnt be bad if Ireland did manage to regain some form.

On paper, a Gibson, McCarthy, Ireland midfield would be good. Unlikely all 3 would be first choice this season though which is a big problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

There's always talks of him coming back every time his career hits the rocks. I would have no problem him lying about the miscarriage - That whole situation was handled very badly. But he didn't exactly fight to get back into the squad.

He's talking about seeing how he gets on after a few game with Stoke? Either you want to represent your country or you do not. Sadly, too many players use the international stage to try further their club career.
    "First and foremost it is just Stoke City on my mind. I need to get 10, 15, 20 games under my belt first and see how I go with that."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24100530

He said some pretty bad things about the country and the footballing setup:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056198789
    http://www.thescore.ie/stephen-ireland-id-rather-shoot-myself-than-live-in-cork-96511-Mar2011/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

There's always talks of him coming back every time his career hits the rocks. I would have no problem him lying about the miscarriage - That whole situation was handled very badly. But he didn't exactly fight to get back into the squad.

He's talking about seeing how he gets on after a few game with Stoke? Either you want to represent your country or you do not. Sadly, too many players use the international stage to try further their club career.
    "First and foremost it is just Stoke City on my mind. I need to get 10, 15, 20 games under my belt first and see how I go with that."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24100530

He said some pretty bad things about the country and the footballing setup:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056198789
    http://www.thescore.ie/stephen-ireland-id-rather-shoot-myself-than-live-in-cork-96511-Mar2011/

To be fair, he hasnt played any football in a year so thinking about getting games for stoke first is natural. If he was called up without getting a league games, people would be more outraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

He is out of contract for Villa at the end of the season afaik.
    This and plenty more in the future will be to ensure a hefty pay packet at what ever club is foolish to sign him.

He is a selfish and arrogant person. When he won POTS for Villa it was in a McCleish side that played some of the worst looking football.

Most Villa fans will tell you how uninspiring he has been since joining Villa, and super lazy on the field too.

He is a player whose reputation from years ago seems to confuse ppl into thinking he is still worth playing.

If Hughes can work a miracle then fair play but I doubt you will see the Stephen of old until his high wage is in gone and he needs to convince a club to pay it.

He didn't redeem himself at Villa over 3 managers and I really doubt he has the heart to fight tooth and nail for Ireland.
    Better off selecting someone younger and hungrier who will appreciate the role and challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

"It was my decision to leave and it's probably going to be my decision to go back if the manager asks, whoever they appoint.

No, Stephen, the world does not revolve around you. If Martin O' Neill gets the gig it will be most certainly his decision if you come back, not yours.

Also you don't take a decision to 'leave' your country or national side. There's tens of thousands of us when we were kids dreamt of nothing more than playing for Ireland, whether it was soccer, rugby, or any other sport. To have that priviledge and walk away from it isn't a decision, it's a disgrace.

Maybe in his own head he's living in the Republic of Stephen Ireland and he's the star of the show.

Back in the real world, what you are Stephen is the worst type of professional out there: One with talent most of us could only dream of yet have categorically failed to make the most of your talents and career. He's the antithesis of Kevin Kilbane. For all Skillers lacked in ability, technique, skill and talent, he more than made up for that with hard work, determination and a willingness to make the most of his ability.

Every country in the world should want to stand for something - to have principles, morals and dignity. If we want to stand for anything, whether it's football or otherwise, we'd be well advised to tell this guy to shove his comeback up his jacksie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

are the people posting saying he's been ****e for years the same people who watch clips of the teams he's been playing in for 5 minutes on MOTD.

He was never given a chance when Mancini took over at City, he lay in the reserves for a year and barely played, he went to villa and had an okay 1st season in 11/12 he was voted villa's player of the year and rightly so, under lambert he's not really been given many chances and has lay in exile again, he's now back with hughes a manager that had him shortlisted for young player of the year.

He lied about his granny when he lost his ****ing child for **** sakes, leave him be and stop holding grudges, if he got in the stoke team and was playing well week in week out and wanted to come back he should be selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

are the people posting saying he's been ****e for years the same people who watch clips of the teams he's been playing in for 5 minutes on MOTD.

He was never given a chance when Mancini took over at City, he lay in the reserves for a year and barely played, he went to villa and had an okay 1st season in 11/12 he was voted villa's player of the year and rightly so, under lambert he's not really been given many chances and has lay in exile again, he's now back with hughes a manager that had him shortlisted for young player of the year.

He lied about his granny when he lost his ****ing child for **** sakes, leave him be and stop holding grudges, if he got in the stoke team and was playing well week in week out and wanted to come back he should be selected.

I think you will find that the above is not the reason most people have a problem with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If he could stengthen the team, he should be welcomed back.

It's not as if the national team has an abundance of top midfielders.

Jaysis i think we have no shortage of excellent midfielders - most of them just cant buy a game under trap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Even if he was the best player on the planet, I wouldn't want someone so undedicated to the national team anywhere near it. I wouldn't put it past him if he did come back only to put himself in the shop window.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I watched him lots for Villa and he is just not the same player that caught everyone's attention. The years at City where he looked class he would defend and attack and have a very good work rate. That's now lost and he just meanders around the field doing his one touch passing.

When Lambert came to Villa he was started a few times but it was clear that the hunger wasn't there. He is the Irish Bendtner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He's out of contract at the end of this season. Probably has a lot to do with any new found patriotism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Don't support any particular team (other than Ireland) but I watch a lot of English soccer. I find Stephen Ireland very interesting.

Back when he got nominated for YPOTY he was a phonomenal footballer, and in my opinion should have been nominated for senior POTY. He's the most all round, technically gifted player I've seen Ireland produce. He's seems to have lost a bit of that real hunger he had back in 08/09. I'd just love to see him fulfill his potential over the next 3 years. And if he does, he'll be very much wanted by the new Irish manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No, Stephen, the world does not revolve around you. If Martin O' Neill gets the gig it will be most certainly his decision if you come back, not yours.

Also you don't take a decision to 'leave' your country or national side. There's tens of thousands of us when we were kids dreamt of nothing more than playing for Ireland, whether it was soccer, rugby, or any other sport. To have that priviledge and walk away from it isn't a decision, it's a disgrace.

Maybe in his own head he's living in the Republic of Stephen Ireland and he's the star of the show.

Back in the real world, what you are Stephen is the worst type of professional out there: One with talent most of us could only dream of yet have categorically failed to make the most of your talents and career. He's the antithesis of Kevin Kilbane. For all Skillers lacked in ability, technique, skill and talent, he more than made up for that with hard work, determination and a willingness to make the most of his ability.

Every country in the world should want to stand for something - to have principles, morals and dignity. If we want to stand for anything, whether it's football or otherwise, we'd be well advised to tell this guy to shove his comeback up his jacksie.

Bravo. Talent wasted. I thought he would be a star after his 08 / 09 season. He's managed less than 50 club appearances in the last three years.
    Jaysis i think we have no shortage of excellent midfielders - most of them just cant buy a game under trap.

This is the worst crop of midfield players available to represent Ireland since, well, before the Tuohy era at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I think people can be far too judgemental of footballers at times, and some forget that they are still human... if Ireland has genuinely learnt from his mistakes, is willing to work hard to get back into the setup and give it his all there, with no dramatics, then he should be given another chance.. we all make mistakes.. footballers included.

No this is bollocks sorry. Yes everyone can make mistakes but he has had ample opportunities to put them behind him and get back into the fold. He didn't do so but I'd still take him back in the team if his performances warranted it. But I still think he was a dick for not playing for us when we could have done with him because he was more concerned about his image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Let's hope he doesn't drive a Ferrari (if he does return)

• Advertisement
Advertisement