Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The return of Stephen Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

No this is bollocks sorry. Yes everyone can make mistakes but he has had ample opportunities to put them behind him and get back into the fold. He didn't do so but I'd still take him back in the team if his performances warranted it. But I still think he was a dick for not playing for us when we could have done with him because he was more concerned about his image

O.k, but if he has completely changed now and starts putting in agood footballing displays, then he should play. Otherwise, I'm not interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

All hands to the pump so you can only welcome him back but he isn't getting any younger and has never done anything fantastic as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

People talking about bad attitude and his personality probably have never met the guy and have been brainwashed by the tabloids and pictures of pink cars. All accounts say that he put in a lot of off season fitness work when he was at City so I can't imagine he suddenly lost that work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's good to see all those around here that have sailed through life making no mistakes, the guy has never done anything that has directly or indirectly hurt or abused anyone, he plays football and once decided he didn't want to play football.

If he wants to play and adds to the squad then I'm happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liam O wrote: »
    People talking about bad attitude and his personality probably have never met the guy and have been brainwashed by the tabloids and pictures of pink cars. All accounts say that he put in a lot of off season fitness work when he was at City so I can't imagine he suddenly lost that work ethic.

So less than 50 appearances in three seasons. Explain? Unlucky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So less than 50 appearances in three seasons. Explain? Unlucky?

Wait weren't you saying a few weeks back that Liverpool should sign him?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I'm genuinely stunned at the amount of people who would welcome him back with open arms. Yes, we have limited options, but unless he all of a sudden turns into Iniesta, I don't think he should be considered

I don't think anyone is holding granny-gate against him, it was obviously an upsetting time for him. But what are his excuses for walking out on the U-18's. And for his messing around with Brady and Trap, only to make himself available for S Africa if we qualified? And now, he's trying to get his career back on track after a few years in the wilderness, he wants to come back? No thanks Stephen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

are the people posting saying he's been ****e for years the same people who watch clips of the teams he's been playing in for 5 minutes on MOTD.

He was never given a chance when Mancini took over at City, he lay in the reserves for a year and barely played, he went to villa and had an okay 1st season in 11/12 he was voted villa's player of the year and rightly so, under lambert he's not really been given many chances and has lay in exile again, he's now back with hughes a manager that had him shortlisted for young player of the year.

He lied about his granny when he lost his ****ing child for **** sakes, leave him be and stop holding grudges, if he got in the stoke team and was playing well week in week out and wanted to come back he should be selected.

When you say he was voted Villa's player of the year, you make it sound like he had a great season, he had far from it. He was pretty average along with quite a few others, a lot had awful seasons. POTY could have gone to quite a few by default. He's scored 1 goal in 3 1/2 years. I had hopes for Ireland when he came to Villa as part of the Milner deal, I was excited by it. However, he has looked a shadow of the player we saw at City, and not because of lack of chances either, he's played in 37 league games between the last two seasons. Don't remember 2 games back to back where he had really good games.

I've watched plenty of Villa games over past 2 years to see that he has been very, very poor in a Villa shirt overall. I'd love to see him rediscover his form and be a really good player again, and get back in the Irish team. He needs to improve a huge amount though, all the things he's been saying about feeling great to be at Stoke, he said all the same things when he joined Villa too. We'll see but I have my doubts about him getting back to near the level he was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Hitchens wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-considers-republic-return-29580667.html

"Former Republic of Ireland midfielder Stephen Ireland is willing to consider ending his international exile under the national team's next manager."

He would certainly strengthen the new team.

Honest to Christ, who gives a **** what he does anymore?

Its a sad indictment of the Irish situation that this is news tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think all players should get a clean slate under the new manager, there is absolutely zero point alienating players already. It should all come down to footballing reasons, if the player is playing regularly and well they should be picked, simple as.

djPSB wrote: »
    Wait weren't you saying a few weeks back that Liverpool should sign him?!

Yeah, he has talent. Nobody is denying that. But he's clearly wasting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I dont think he ever wanted to play for ROI but his father told him it would be good for his career. Its the same with any potential return, its just for the good of his career. Its attitudes like his that have people moaning when the international weekends deny them another EPL-fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'd rather see someone like Joey O'Brien given a chance then this clown.

O'Brien has done a fine job for West Ham, he can definitely do a job for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

As long as any player is playing well at club level they should be considered, if the last 3 years are anything to go by he'd struggle to make a squad, let alone play for the country but if he can turn it around then fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I think you'll find that plenty deny that.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Thankfully Liverpool looked elsewhere. We've had enough of those kind of players.

Any sort of decent form from Ireland though should merit inclusion in an Ireland squad if he is happy to come back and work hard and the manager is happy to have him back. We have really poor options in midfield and Ireland would be a different option, especially in a 4-3-3 in front of McCarthy and Gibson/Meyler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

If we get a chance to see these bad boys rolling into town then I see no reason why not

article-1126666-0332590D000005DC-980_468x286.jpg

IrelandPinkRange_800x459.jpg

NukaCola wrote: »
    I think you'll find that plenty deny that.......

Well, anyone not recognising his talent hasn't been paying attention. The first phase of his career at City (and the only worthwhile phase to date) was as exciting as any Irish player has managed since Robbie Keane or Duff tbh. I think you'll struggle to point at too many club seasons by Irish footballers over the past decade better than his 08 / 09 season for City (a fact that is an indictment of the current squad mind), and all those seasons would belong to Keane, Duff, Given and Dunne.

If he had been available for 30 - 40k in wages this summer I'd have welcomed Liverpool taking a punt as if he can rediscover that 08 / 09 form someone is going to have a ball player on their hands.

But, for me, even if he does rediscover that form I'd find it hard to truly welcome him back into an Irish shirt. The same with Gibson. Making yourself unavailable or available on a personal whim is not acceptable for Ireland imo. These footballers are basically saying 'I'm available if I like the manager and think I'll probably play'. Don't care how good they are. Meanwhile Robbie Keane is going to go down in history as one of the great International strikers and is begging his club to let him over here for friendly matches. You need standards lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Not a big fan of Stephen Ireland and don't know why there's so many ifs and buts in that interview. "We'll sit down and have a chat"?

He should have came out and declared himself 100% available and committed. If he doesn't say that then he should never be selected BUT if he does then I don't see why he shouldn't welcomed back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Stephen Ireland is currently an abysmal footballer, he failed to break into the first team squad at villa. And when he did in fact play he looked like someone who strolled in from a sunday pub match but was out the night before.

Disinterested to say the least is what i would say about his style of play. And he had the gaul to blame it on the last 2 managers at Villa.

For someone seemingly so 'eager' to break back into first team football why in the hell did he not demonstrate this on the pitch at every opportunity.

Talent squandered. He deserves to be NOWHERE near the Irish panel unless he performs his arse off at Stoke this seaon. Other than that id rather not hear another word about him because he hasnt failed to disappoint to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think all players should get a clean slate under the new manager, there is absolutely zero point alienating players already. It should all come down to footballing reasons, if the player is playing regularly and well they should be picked, simple as.

Correct, beggars can't be choosers! If Ireland can get a regular spot playing for Stoke, is playing consistently well, or better than our other options at least, it would be foolish not to play him. We are dreadfully weak in the centre of the part at the moment.

At Man City, he was a lovely footballer, so the ability is there. You can't play him in a 4-4-2 though, as he is lacking in a defensive/tracking sense. We would need to play him as part of a 3 man midfield, which would be a blessing in disguise as it would rid us of the 4-4-2 system and prompt us to play some passing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well with Wes Hoolahan playing every game, and then Stephen Ireland back, we will be unbeatable. Watch out world, the Rep of Ireland will be the team to beat.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well with Wes Hoolahan playing every game, and then Stephen Ireland back, we will be unbeatable. Watch out world, the Rep of Ireland will be the team to beat.

It would have to be one or the other. Ireland, at 27, is a better long term option than Wes, at 31. I can't see them both fitting into the same first X1, in terms of position.

As I said above, Ireland needs to get himself going at club level first.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Quite simply , **** off Stephen

Your username is apt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

NIMAN wrote: »

Ah come on. Nobody thinks that.
    It gets annoying when the argument against people who think we should bring in better footballers means we all think we will suddenly be Spain or Barca. Tired argument tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Ah come on. Nobody thinks that.
    It gets annoying when the argument against people who think we should bring in better footballers means we all think we will suddenly be Spain or Barca. Tired argument tbh

i think he was taking the piss buddy haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

gustafo wrote: »
    i think he was taking the piss buddy haha

I understand the sarcasm in the post. But its a sarcastic comment made when people want better footballers in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Interested to see how Ireland gets on at Stoke. Hughes wants to change their style of play and an on form Ireland could be integral to that. However he badly needs games and I think he knows this. Whether this translates to him coming to play for ROI, who knows. I don't get a lot from that statement though that makes me think he will come back. It is the usual non committal stuff. There is no solid 'I want to play' message.

How many minutes does he have for Stoke thus far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

51mins. He's already beaten his league total for Newcastle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Never mind grannygate, every 6 months he did an interview moaning about ireland, saying how he hated playing for the national team. The only reason he wants to come back if to help his own career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Anyone see MOTD 2 ?

All it took was one WOEFUL backpass and I have reconfirmed to myself how much I never want to see him in the team....ever!

Anyone see MOTD 2 ?

All it took was one WOEFUL backpass and I have reconfirmed to myself how much I never want to see him in the team....ever!

His attempt to challenge Ramsey after giving away the ball was dreadful too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Cienciano wrote: »
    Never mind grannygate, every 6 months he did an interview moaning about ireland, saying how he hated playing for the national team. The only reason he wants to come back if to help his own career.

Have you any links to these interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Anyone see MOTD 2 ?

Ye sure we have so much talent in midfield. If Ireland comes back he will be one of our best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Ye sure we have so much talent in midfield. If Ireland comes back he will be one of our best players.

I would have said that 3 years ago, since then he wouldn't even get in the squad. Purely down to football too, he just hasn't played anything near well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'll wait til December to pass judgement on what he is capable of, but I certainly wouldn't say I'm expecting much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

No problem with him, like Gibson, making themself available for selection again. I think fans misuntepret these stories as the players thinking they will walk back into the fold.

Stephen Ireland has gone on such a downward spiral he would be nowhere near our starting lineup, if even in the squad. Needs to make this Stoke swop work for him, or he might aswell call it a day for footballing career.

Big season for Gibson, playing under a competent manager alongside another Irish CM, if he adapts to Martinez possesion based strategy and forms a good partnership with McCarthy could well be figuring for Ireland quickly. I like Gibson, hes a throwback to all round midfielders, can get forward and attack but can also throw himself round in tackles. Looks comfy on the ball and retaining possession, something we cry out for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I thought he was decent when he came on for Stoke the other day. Some loose passes but some very nice ones too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Somebody had this on twitter earlier. Political statement, or coincidence??

BUzSbO8CMAA-x3E.jpg:small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Can't be a coincidence...just went way up in my estimations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wouldn't be surprised if its a bit of a marketing thing on Stokes side....that'll sell jerseys to people who never would have bought a Stoke kit otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

can't believe it took my a while to cop that

Given the utter stupidity of his actions in times gone by, nothing would surprise me. I think he needs to get to know the people of Stoke a little better. They wouldn't be known for embracing statements like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Steve after putting Stoke ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ireland starts and is on the scoresheet already for Stoke against Tranmere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Well done Stephen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Lets not forget Tranmere are the wrong end of League One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Noel King was at the match lastnight, speculating further that the gimp could be coming back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement