Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The return of Stephen Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Noel King was at the match lastnight, speculating further that the gimp could be coming back.

Did he play well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Sympathy to Steve on the death of his paternal grandmother last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if its a bit of a market thing on Stokes side....that'll sell jerseys to people who never would have bought a Stoke kit otherwise.

Who is going to buy a stoke Jersey just because it has Ireland 32?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Somebody had this on twitter earlier. Political statement, or coincidence??

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/stephen-ireland-talentspotter

In five years time I’ll be…
    Hopefully enjoying my fifth season in the first team for City and playing international football – but seeing as I can play for England, Ireland and Italy, I’m not sure who it will be for

Yeah, up the Ra alright :rolleyes: I'm surprised he ever came forward for the caps he did get given the thought back in the day was that he could get to world class standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/stephen-ireland-talentspotter

In five years time I’ll be…
    Hopefully enjoying my fifth season in the first team for City and playing international football – but seeing as I can play for England, Ireland and Italy, I’m not sure who it will be for

Yeah, up the Ra alright :rolleyes: I'm surprised he ever came forward for the caps he did get given the thought back in the day was that he could get to world class standard.
    I was going to post some quotes from the article but there are just too many ridiculous statements in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Not much of a wheels man either....

Wheels
    I’m still struggling to drive – if you ask me again in 10 years I still won’t be driving. I just can’t drive and even when I’ve booked in lessons the football seems to get in the way and I just can’t be bothered. I’m way too lazy.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/stephen-ireland-talentspotter#xP2bJhUuSrzvZMlC.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Stephen has pissed his talent and his career down the toilet

STEPHEN IRELAND IS eyeing a return to the Ireland fold in the wake of the appointment of Martin O’Neill and Roy Keane.

read more: http://thescore.thejournal.ie/stephen-ireland-comeback-roy-keane-1161563-Nov2013/

If Roy can come back into the fold............why not Stevie as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Can somebody please inform stephen that there is nothing to talk about. If you get called up you simply decide to join the squad or you dont. If he decides not to join then that should be that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Until Ireland shows he is able to compete to an impressive standard at Stoke, he should not be considered and options should be sought elsewhere. That should be it. If he shows himself good enough, he should merit inclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Obviously after what's gone on some clear the air talks would be needed, it would be foolish to suggest otherwise. If he's called up then he'd have to make a speech to the team too imo explaining what happened. I've always said that the truth on this situation is as bad if not worse for the guy than what actually happened. Can't imagine what it must be like to lose a child in such a way but it must have been heartbreaking. The witchhunt afterwards was hugely unwarranted and helped nobody, not Ireland or well, Ireland :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He can eye up all the returns he wants, he's still a complete liability in midfield shouldn't be considered at all until he proves otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Until Ireland shows he is able to compete to an impressive standard at Stoke, he should not be considered and options should be sought elsewhere. That should be it. If he shows himself good enough, he should merit inclusion.

playing semi regularly in a EPL team is enough to merit inclusion in an international squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

If he got the finger out, he'd be a much better player than people like Whelan, Green , to name a few.

I'd give him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Folks I know that Stephen Ireland is a very divisive character, but can people voice their opinions on the guy without using abusive or borderline abusive terms.

A point of view can be gotten across without calling him names. If one thinks he is a good player that would improve the Irish national or simply a player who once had a hint of talent, then discuss that aspect of Ireland. If one thinks he is unreliable or just an attention seeker, then argue that point, but no more comments that could be seen as abusive.

playing semi regularly in a EPL team is enough to merit inclusion in an international squad.

Nah, if he plays utter cack then what's the use in it.. it's just accepting meidocrity and is not productive to team cohesion and improvement. I'd rather the younger lads were given game time in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I got to ask are people who think he should be accepted really thinking about what he did?

He left the team for 6 years and has never offered anything other than the worst excuses why he didn't want to play.

I just think if he was accepted back even if he was there because he was showing Messi like form it would show how small time we are as a footballing nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Nah, if he plays utter cack then what's the use in it.. it's just accepting meidocrity and is not productive to team cohesion and improvement. I'd rather the younger lads were given game time in that case.

I'd rather a player from an EPL side who try to play football (which Stoke are, now) than some limited kicker from the lower leagues

I'd rather a player from an EPL side who try to play football (which Stoke are, now) than some limited kicker from the lower leagues

His attitude is highly questionable. Need players with strong mentalities at international level. He sulked when people slagged him about his hair plugs ffs.

His form is nowhere near good enough at the moment. His status of being at an EPL club doesnt mean he's good enough or merits selection. I've seen nothing from him that suggests when the chips are down so to speak he wont get flaky like he has all his career.

• Advertisement

Perhaps with Martin and Roy on board Stephen may become the player we know he can be............and that we'd like him to be once more?

What is there to lose?

Hitchens wrote: »
    Perhaps with Martin and Roy on board Stephen may become the player we know he can be............and that we'd like him to be once more?

What is there to lose?

International level isnt the place for that sort of development, he needs to show it at club level first and foremost

Dempsey wrote: »
    International level isnt the place for that sort of development, he needs to show it at club level first and foremost

But there are many brilliant Intercounty Hurlers who don't stand out when playing for the club.

But there are many brilliant Intercounty Hurlers who don't stand out when playing for the club.

Dafuq?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Dafuq?

Yo!

That's great for Stoke, but is Ireland contributing to that? I agree, I don't want some limited kicker either. That doesn't mean to say that every player plying their trade underneath the premier league is a limited footballer though. Premier League player should not mean-automatic Ireland player alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Premier League player should not mean-automatic Ireland player alone.

According to the amount of people here wanting Westwood and Clark to start, it should be.
    Isn't McShane starting regularly for Hull atm? :p

Aenaes wrote: »
    According to the amount of people here wanting Westwood and Clark to start, it should be.
    Isn't McShane starting regularly for Hull atm? :p

Ha, in terms of Westwood I think it's because of potential. My opinion is Forde for the time being is number 1.
    In terms of Clark he has hasn't forged a promsing partnership, I certainly wouldn't be calling for him to start, for the same reasons as Ireland etc.

My main point has to do with Ireland making a case for inclusion... considering his age,he's been through the system before, so rather than learning anything from him in terms of what kind of player he is,which is pointless,we all have an idea of what type of player he can be, now it's a case of proving that he can reclaim some of that spark. We know potential, we need to see performance.

I think we should be looking at other options besides Clark for future campaigns.. and have always been a proponent of Sean St. Ledger, irregardless of the fact he isn't in the PL.

Mc Shane sure is, and he's surely testament as to why going on Premier League status alone isn't good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Stephen Ireland is a talented player but if you look back over his career there's a reason why he keeps getting shifted from club to club, and he's doing the exact same thing for stoke. Lack of concentration and tracking players, its plagued him throughout his career and he`ll never play at a higher level because of it. He's cost stoke points already this season and done it in at Villa and City too, anyone remember when he let Scholes run to hit the winner at man city.

What does he means by

" “This new management has excited me. We’ll have to sit down and talk. I’ve a lot to think about. We’ll have to have a sit down and talk, and see what we can do."

What do they need to talk about?
    Surely all he needs to do is state that he's not in self-imposed exile anymore, and see if the management deem him worth a place in the squad

He loves his talking, does Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Be very dissapointed if MON and Keane actually entertained this,
    saying that I really doubt they will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Didn't Keane say before that he'd be sitting on Stephen Ireland's front step to get him back in the team if he was Ireland manager?

Found it.

"If I was Trapattoni, I would literally sleep outside his house.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If we are taking Keane back into the fold, why not Ireland? If he doesn't prove himself worthy of a place in the team, grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I reckon Keane will bring S.Ireland back, based purely on the fact that they're both from Cork.

Keane has said before he thinks there's a Dublin bias, so picking S.Ireland might go some way to dispel his perceived bias.

Did a quick Google and found this:
    http://www.soccer-ireland.com/saipan/roy-keane/cork.htm

Wasn't the quote I had in mind but it shows the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Didn't Keane say before that he'd be sitting on Stephen Ireland's front step to get him back in the team if he was Ireland manager?

Found it.

"If I was Trapattoni, I would literally sleep outside his house.”

A few years have passed since that comment. When Ireland was actually worth talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I don't get how people keep bring this up and blaming Ireland for it.

A reporter asks him a question, he gives ans answer, it's not like he's walking into the offices of papers every other week saying "lads, I've something for ye", they are asking him and he consistently gives the same answer. There is no story here, except muppets get wound up about it so the papers keep printing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

It's the answers. What's there to talk about? In my mind I think he wants it to go something like this, Ireland: "Will I be playing regularly?"
    Manager: "Of course you will", Ireland: "Grand, call me up so".

Why can't he just say he wants to play again, it's been too long since he pulled on the green jersey, blah blah blah?

Aenaes wrote: »
    It's the answers. What's there to talk about? In my mind I think he wants it to go something like this, Ireland: "Will I be playing regularly?"
    Manager: "Of course you will", Ireland: "Grand, call me up so".

Why can't he just say he wants to play again, it's been too long since he pulled on the green jersey, blah blah blah?

I don't think that's what it is at all.

I'd say its more like "do you want me back, are the squad ok with me coming back, do you think we will be able to work together, etc".

He has said himself a few times that he doesn't want to be in the squad if he deosn't deserve to be and isn't playing for his club as he feels others would be losing out when they deserve to be there ahead of him. He said recently that he didn't feel like joining for the end of this round of qualifiers when Ireland still had a chance to finish 2nd would be right as he didn't earn his place and would be taking the place of someone who's been there for the last 18 months.

People are making a massive issue out of stupid ****ing press bull**** because they don't like Steven Ireland, get over it, he's not the problem here, the press is.

Ireland could just say no comment or I've already stated my views on being called up already. He wants the publicity as much as papers want to sell the story

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

What does he means by

" “This new management has excited me. We’ll have to sit down and talk. I’ve a lot to think about. We’ll have to have a sit down and talk, and see what we can do."

What do they need to talk about?
    Surely all he needs to do is state that he's not in self-imposed exile anymore, and see if the management deem him worth a place in the squad

He loves his talking, does Stephen

they need to talk about how great cork is boy

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'd say its more like "do you want me back, are the squad ok with me coming back, do you think we will be able to work together, etc".

So MON, as a new manager, will need to carry out 30-40 interviews, one with each potential Irish player, to see if they will be able to work together? See if there is a synergy?

Or how about he calls up the players he fancies for his first squad, and tell them as a group what he expects from them, and what his hopes are?

And by the way, S.Ireland shouldnt be too pre-occupied about who deserves to play or not play in our best team.

That's a decision for the manager, players are supposed to just play if picked.

• Advertisement

And by the way, S.Ireland shouldnt be too pre-occupied about who deserves to play or not play in our best team.

that used to be the way it was done............in ould God's time! ;)

So MON, as a new manager, will need to carry out 30-40 interviews, one with each potential Irish player, to see if they will be able to work together? See if there is a synergy?

Or how about he calls up the players he fancies for his first squad, and tell them as a group what he expects from them, and what his hopes are?

It would be completely normal for a manager to speak to a player before calling him up if he's been out of the squad in the way Ireland has.

Just like it was normal for Noel King to phone Andy Reid and Damien Delaney and have a chat with them before recalling them and just like it was normal for Kerr to phone Roy Keane before recalling him or the England manager to phone Jamie Carragher and speaking to him before recalling him a few years ago and so on.

To try and pretend it's not normal for a manager to speak to a player who hasn't been in the national squad for several years before deciding whether or not to call them up is either ignorant or naive.

another Premiership goal for Stephen today..........MO'N and RMK will be watching with some interest

MARTIN O’NEILL HAS opened the door for Stephen Ireland to make a shock return to international football.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/stephen-ireland-martin-oneill-ireland-return-1172057-Nov2013/

It's up to Stephen himself now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

another Premiership goal for Stephen today..........MO'N and RMK will be watching with some interest

Another? His first since 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

JPA wrote: »
    Another? His first since 2011.

It was a great goal to be fair

I believe the onus should be on Stephen Ireland to chase down MON for a meeting about his future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On form/playing time, does he warrant a spot anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    On form/playing time, does he warrant a spot anyway?

he's been playing well for Stoke and he's said he wants to come back. O'Neill should just call him up - why bother with face-to-face talks, its just pandering to the notion that this is some big issue (and to his ego).

Advertisement