Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The return of Stephen Ireland

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well that's it there is no way he will be picked again.
    The prospect of Stephen Ireland ever returning to the Ireland squad looks more remote than ever after the Stoke City midfielder had his agent ring the FAI asking to defer a face-to-face meeting with manager Martin O’Neill until July rather than take or return the northerner’s calls directly.

IrishTimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Martin O'Neill hasn't closed the door to him completely, judging by his comments in that article.

I don't know why - Stephen Ireland offers very little and he carries a huge amount of baggage. It would not end well. Draw a line under it and concentrate on the players who do want to play for their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

He's a fruitcake and he never bloomed into the player he was capable of becoming. Much better off with him outside the tent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Well that's it there is no way he will be picked again.

IrishTimes

Jesus thats unreal.The lad has an ego bigger that Zlatan's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

He has no interest in playing for his country and obviously didn't fancy playing in end of season friendlies. O'Neill needs to tell Ireland to get lost at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Im not surprised in the slightest. This is what he does all the time. Says he might come back then doesnt. He is an attention seeker nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe his granny is very sick again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Classless as usual from Ireland. Martin O'Neill full of class.

I don't think he would have suited either O'Neill or Keane.

Leave the fruitcake and his pink Range Rover where they are. He's no Ronaldo and even if he was I wouldn't tolerate him disrespecting his country as he has repeatedly.

Hopefully this draws a line under him for good and everyone can move on. As soon as hughes gets the boot from Stoke, he'll be gone too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I wish he'd shag off at this stage, people are worse for paying any attention to him.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The only time that Stephen Ireland ever wanted to play for Ireland was when he was getting no game time at Villa in an attempt to put himself on the shop window.

In an interview when he was younger he stated that he hadn't decided what nationality he would like to play for as he was eligible for more than just Ireland.

All the above should tell you all you need to know about Ireland and his desire to play for his country.

I'd don't think he deserves to wear the green shirt again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The guy clearly has mental health issues and the first thing people in this country do is call him a fruit cake.

He's gotten abuse like that since granny gate. I can see perfectly why he'd be hesitant.

Such an awful attitude to anything to do with mental health in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Lukker- wrote: »
    The guy clearly has mental health issues and the first thing people in this country do is call him a fruit cake.

He's gotten abuse like that since granny gate. I can see perfectly why he'd be hesitant.

He can easily afford an army of shrinks & sports psychologists if that what was wrong with him.It isnt, he's just a grade A selfish person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

"Clearly" ?
    Who is it clear to, you? Did he get himself diagnosed or did you just whip out an aul' prognosis there yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The only time that Stephen Ireland ever wanted to play for Ireland was when he was getting no game time at Villa in an attempt to put himself on the shop window.

In an interview when he was younger he stated that he hadn't decided what nationality he would like to play for as he was eligible for more than just Ireland.

All the above should tell you all you need to know about Ireland and his desire to play for his country.

I'd don't think he deserves to wear the green shirt again.

Was thinking the same. It seems when he hits any sort of form he's not interested in the national team. And some of the past interviews he's done, he clearly has zero interest.
    I wonder if we were in a world cup this summer would he return Martin O'Neills calls?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Aenaes wrote: »
    "Clearly" ?
    Who is it clear to, you? Did he get himself diagnosed or did you just whip out an aul' prognosis there yourself?

Part of his regime at city as a youngster was regular counselling with a therapist. He's had mental health problems since before he went to England, it's been mentioned in the past by Mark Hughes and Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Dempsey wrote: »
    He can easily afford an army of shrinks & sports psychologists if that what was wrong with him.It isnt, he's just a grade A selfish person

Yeah because it's just that easy when you have mental health problem, all you need to do is pay the right people enough money and take the right pills and everything is magically ok.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah because it's just that easy when you have mental health problem, all you need to do is pay the right people enough money and take the right pills and everything is magically ok.

Great strawman argument

/slow clap

Aenaes wrote: »
    "Clearly" ?

It's been well documented over his career.

Ignorant response. Rich and famous people are a beacon of mental health.

It's been well documented over his career.

Ignorant response. Rich and famous people are a beacon of mental health.

Another strawman argument!

I didn't say rich people couldn't have mental health issues. I said he could afford all the support to help cope with mental health issues more so that most but I dont think its a mental health issue. Was that too difficult to understand in the other post?

If you think the reason he doesn't want to play for Ireland is down to mental health issues then I think you have misread the situation badly.

He simply doesn't care about the Irish setup, he's said that on several occasions and any soundbite he's given about coming back has been a club career move. That's not mental health issues, that being selfish.

Seems in your mind that not playing for your country can only be down to mental health issues.

Another strawman argument!

I didn't say rich people couldn't have mental health issues. I said he could afford all the support to help cope with mental health issues more so that most but I dont think its a mental health issue. Was that too difficult to understand in the other post?

If you think the reason he doesn't want to play for Ireland is down to mental health issues then I think you have misread the situation badly.

He simply doesn't care about the Irish setup, he's said that on several occasions and any soundbite he's given about coming back has been a club career move. That's not mental health issues, that being selfish.

Seems in your mind that not playing for your country can only be down to mental health issues.

Strawman? Your the one making sweeping statements. He's automatically selfish if he doesn't feel right to represent his country. He's always been a player that a manager needs to put his arm around. If he doesn't feel that coming back is the right thing for him, I respect that. He'd get dog's abuse from a large section of "fans", for a player who's had to overcame problems with his mental health in the past I don't blame him for wanting to avoid this. What's the point exposing himself to that if it's going to negatively impact his well-being?

I don't think it's being selfish putting his wellbeing first. Surely he has more to gain sponsorship/exposure/as a player by playing for Ireland, rather than just Stoke.

• Advertisement

Strawman? Your the one making sweeping statements. He's automatically selfish if he doesn't feel right to represent his country. He's always been a player that a manager needs to put his arm around. If he doesn't feel that coming back is the right thing for him, I respect that. He'd get dog's abuse from a large section of "fans", for a player who's had to overcame problems with his mental health in the past I don't blame him for wanting to avoid this. What's the point exposing himself to that if it's going to negatively impact his well-being?

I don't think it's being selfish putting his wellbeing first. Surely he has more to gain sponsorship/exposure/as a player by playing for Ireland, rather than just Stoke.

Yes a strawman argument. Do you know what that means?

Also, no sweeping statements from me at all if you managed to read my post correctly which you didnt.

Yes, selfish. He's put out soundbites for an ulterior motive and its worked out perfectly for him. Try looking up the definition of the word.

Yes a strawman argument. Do you know what that means?

Also, no sweeping statements from me at all if you managed to read my post correctly which you didnt.

Yes, selfish. He's put out soundbites for an ulterior motive and its worked out perfectly for him. Try looking up the definition of the word.

Yeah and surely the populist argument going by this thread would be to attack Stephen Ireland.

What's his ulterior motive by the way? What does this get him?

/slowclap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

^^Mental health argument aside (awful reading lads btw) it wouldn't suit either side. What good is joining up with the Irish side going to be for Ireland if he isn't arsed to play in friendlies against Turkey? What good does it do MON to have a player in there who doesn't want to play for the country in all honesty and sends out these calculated love-calls every 6 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I was happy for him to be given another chance but he can fcuk off now.

Yeah and surely the populist argument going by this thread would be to attack Stephen Ireland.

What's his ulterior motive by the way? What does this get him?

/slowclap

To play regular club football, to be be more relevant than an Aston villa reserve player and it worked. He's little interest in playing for Ireland and his mindset goes back to the underage setups. The grannygate was the straw the broke the camels back. He rather have the week off for family time and do gym work than play for ireland

The grannygate was the straw the broke the camels back. He rather have the week off for family time and do gym work than play for ireland

That is not what happened and you know it. Absolutely ridiculous statement to make.
    His girlfriend had a late term miscarriage, for a girl of 19 at the time and a young lad who'd just turned 21, that is a massive loss, I doubt he was even thinking straight.
    Yeah he said his granny died, god knows why, he could have just told the truth, but ffs it's not like international football, or football at all will seem important to anyone who's just lost a child and wants to get back to their partner ASAP.

It was actually his girlfriend who told the Irish camp his granny had died. She'd been trying to ring him for hours to tell him she'd lost the child and eventually got Staunton's secratary and told her Ireland's granny had died, I don't know why she lied but I'd imagine a teenager not wanting to tell a total stranger you'd lost a child was a pretty decent explaination. Ireland just went with that lie.

I agree, No he is not automatically selfish for not wanting to represent his country and if he had of retired years ago, the subject would be gone by now, but I think most peoples frustration with him is the fact that he has on at least 4 or 5 occasions hinted he would come back to only change his mind. He should just leave it, retire for god sake. Do us all a favour.

As you say, that if he doesnt feel like coming back then he shouldnt but its S. Ireland who keeps bringing it up. No manager has actively pressured him. Its all his own doing and to blame all his antics on a mental health problem is just wrong.

I have always wanted a manager to just call him into the squad and then when he refuses we can finally say that is that.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

That is not what happened and you know it. Absolutely ridiculous statement to make.
    His girlfriend had a late term miscarriage, for a girl of 19 at the time and a young lad who'd just turned 21, that is a massive loss, I doubt he was even thinking straight.
    Yeah he said his granny died, god knows why, he could have just told the truth, but ffs it's not like international football, or football at all will seem important to anyone who's just lost a child and wants to get back to their partner ASAP.

It was actually his girlfriend who told the Irish camp his granny had died. She'd been trying to ring him for hours to tell him she'd lost the child and eventually got Staunton's secratary and told her Ireland's granny had died, I don't know why she lied but I'd imagine a teenager not wanting to tell a total stranger you'd lost a child was a pretty decent explaination. Ireland just went with that lie.

I'm always shocked at people insensitivity at the whole thing.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I agree, No he is not automatically selfish for not wanting to represent his country and if he had of retired years ago, the subject would be gone by now, but I think most peoples frustration with him is the fact that he has on at least 4 or 5 occasions hinted he would come back to only change his mind. He should just leave it, retire for god sake. Do us all a favour.

As you say, that if he doesnt feel like coming back then he shouldnt but its S. Ireland who keeps bringing it up. No manager has actively pressured him. Its all his own doing and to blame all his antics on a mental health problem is just wrong.

I have always wanted a manager to just call him into the squad and then when he refuses we can finally say that is that.

I agree somewhat. I think he was sounding out previously a little to see what kind of reception he'd get. No one knows what he's thinking and I certainly don't see what he's gained with his flirtation other than the wraith of fans. I really do think he's just extremely apprehensive about the whole thing.

That said, a line should probably be drawn before the qualifiers for the Euro's. In or out. Then we can all forgot about it and move on.

• Advertisement

Firstly, I know what actually happened.

Secondly, this is not the first time your imagination has gotten the better of you when it comes to my posts.

Thirdly, call it what you want, that doesnt change the public reaction at the time and subsequent fallout and retirement. Ireland was already disillusioned by the jibes over his hair plugs etc by other Irish players.

Fourthly, Ireland stated publicly he would rather stay at home with family and do extra training. A quick google should get you a mountain of red tops with quotes directly from the player about his feeling towards the international setup from a young age etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

its S. Ireland who keeps bringing it up

I assure you, it's not. It's the media who ask him about it every single time they speak to him, then they run whatever he says as a major story. Do people honestly reckon Ireland sits around at home and thinks "jaysus bai, ill give them lads at the star a ring and tell them i want to play for ireland again"

COYVB wrote: »
    I assure you, it's not. It's the media who ask him about it every single time they speak to him, then they run whatever he says as a major story. Do people honestly reckon Ireland sits around at home and thinks "jaysus bai, ill give them lads at the star a ring and tell them i want to play for ireland again"

He could easily say in a public manner that he doesnt want to be asked that question again and state his stance in a concrete manner but he doesnt because its a nice card to have when you are rotting in the reserves

Firstly, I know what actually happened.

Enlighten us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

perhaps if Roy were to contact him, say meet up with his fellow county man for lunch, the whole saga could be resolved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

He could easily say in a public manner that he doesnt want to be asked that question again and state his stance in a concrete manner

Look at what the guy ACTUALLY says in the media coverage. Usually it's something that's spun to hell by the reporter. usually something like "if the manager wanted to talk to me, ill happily have a chat" becomes "STEPHEN IRELAND WANTS SHOWDOWN TALKS WITH IRISH MANAGER AS HE SEEKS TO RETURN TO THE INTERNATIONAL FOLD"

• Advertisement

Enlighten us.

It happened as Seaneh said.

Why he felt the need to say it to me is beyond me because I never suggested anything else happened

Look at what the guy ACTUALLY says in the media coverage. Usually it's something that's spun to hell by the reporter. usually something like "if the manager wanted to talk to me, ill happily have a chat" becomes "STEPHEN IRELAND WANTS SHOWDOWN TALKS WITH IRISH MANAGER AS HE SEEKS TO RETURN TO THE INTERNATIONAL FOLD"

I do, he does nothing except give open ended statements for the media to go nuts to.

Sometimes that is the case alright but not all the time and it has been said time and time again that if he just put it to bed either way then it would be done by now but he doesnt.
    He could also choose not to discuss it at all. He does have a choice in all this. Its a problem of his own making that he could sort out if he wanted.

Personally speaking I think he should just retire for his and our sake. It really is beyond a joke at this stage.

Advertisement