Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Wine on the brew

Options
  • 15-09-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

This is the recipe I used, except I made 3 times the amount.

BLACKBERRY WINE

Ingredients:
    4 lb. blackberries
    Yeast
    3 lb. granulated sugar
    Yeast nutrient

Method:
    The fruit should be picked when ripe and dry on a sunny day. Wash it well, being careful to remove any of the small maggots sometimes found in blackberries. Place the fruit in a crock, and crush it with a wooden spoon. Pour over it the gallon of boiling water. Stir well, allow to become lukewarm (about 70 degrees F.), then add the yeast.

Cover closely and leave for four or five days, stirring daily. Strain through two thicknesses of muslin or a nylon sieve on to 3 lb. of granulated sugar and add the yeast nutrient. Stir well to make sure that all is dissolved. Pour into dark fermenting jar or "grey hen," filling to shoulder, and fit fermentation trap. Keep the spare liquor in a smaller bottle also fitted with a trap or plug of cotton-wool. When the ferment quietens sufficient for there to be no risk of it foaming through the trap (after, say, a week) top up with the spare wine to the base of the neck and refit trap. Leave until it clears and then rack for the
    first time.

Its bubbling away nicely now. I have strained it through muslin and have added the sugar and yeast nutrient.

Has anyone ever tried this before or ever tasted blackberry wine? Would love to know what the final product tastes like.

And by the way, bumper harvest of blackberries this year. Didn't take me long to pick 12 lbs of blackberries.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Did you get this recipe from somewhere or is it your own? I ask because fruit wines usually have tannin and possible some citric acid in the recipe. What yeast did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

I'd be interested in doing this.
    never done anything like it before so wouldn't know where to start!

I've got a lot of blackberries growing in my hedge so should have no problem with that.
    What kind of yeast did you use - is it wine yeast?
    Where did you get it and also the yeast nutrient?
    Is there anywhere online to buy to buy the fermenting jars and bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

The recipe is from a book called 'First Steps in Winemaking'. Its a month by month recipe book using fruits/ingredients which are in season.

For example, September - blackberries.

All recipes are tried and tested according to the book. I just followed it word for word, didn't add or takeaway from the recipe.

Do you think it will fail considering there is no tannin or citric acid in it? Can these be added at this stage considering fermentation is nearing an end?
    If so, how much?

I used Youngs All Purpouse Red Wine Yeast.

there are lots of Irish websites selling homebrew equipment. I buy all my stuff online. Just google homebrew Ireland and you will get a selection of shops selling everything you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Loobz wrote: »
    Do you think it will fail considering there is no tannin or citric acid in it? Can these be added at this stage considering fermentation is nearing an end??

No, it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Loobz wrote: »
    The recipe is from a book called 'First Steps in Winemaking'. Its a month by month recipe book using fruits/ingredients which are in season.

For example, September - blackberries.

All recipes are tried and tested according to the book. I just followed it word for word, didn't add or takeaway from the recipe.

Do you think it will fail considering there is no tannin or citric acid in it? Can these be added at this stage considering fermentation is nearing an end?
    If so, how much?

I used Youngs All Purpouse Red Wine Yeast.

there are lots of Irish websites selling homebrew equipment. I buy all my stuff online. Just google homebrew Ireland and you will get a selection of shops selling everything you need.

Its a great little book for country wines..c.j.j. berry..

• Advertisement

Maudi wrote: »
    Its a great little book for country wines..c.j.j. berry..

I think its a fantastic book. Especially because all the recipes use things that are in season. I would love to do a brew for each month of the year, as there lots of recipes for each month in the book.

Guys, I have racked the wine and killed off any remaining yeast in preparation to backsweeten the wine.

What would you guys use to backsweeten a blackberry wine? I would like to use a fruit juice but am stumped on what would go well with blackberries

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Apple and blackberry is a classic mix. Nom nom nom.

Khannie wrote: »

That thought had entered my mind. Good suggestion.

How about red grape juice?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Khannie wrote: »

how about adding blackberries to a cider brew?? is that a good idea?? or would it cause complications to the brew?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    how about adding blackberries to a cider brew?? is that a good idea?? or would it cause complications to the brew?

I saw apple and blackberry cider for sale. But more of a hint of blackberry rather than centre stage.

I used red grape juice in the end by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

fryup wrote: »

I intend doing it very soon. I have a well established process for adding berries to apple cider. Myself and another lad on here worked it out through trial and error. Have a search for "berry" or similar and it should turn it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

Hi interested In making blackberry wine as I have a lot of blackberries left over,how did the wine turn out in the end?

Hi interested In making blackberry wine as I have a lot of blackberries left over,how did the wine turn out in the end?

It turned out much better than I expected. I have never tasted or made blackberry wine before. I am looking forward to making another batch next year already, and so are a few of my mates!

I ended up with 4 x 5 litre batches in separate carboys. I backsweetened each 5 litre batch with 200ml of pure red grape juice from aldi. I highly recommend anybody to try this out.

71dt.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement