Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Possessive Rescue Kitten

• 15-09-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi All,

Recently got a 8 wk old rescue kitten who is adorable but seems to have some issues particularly around food. She has no problem eating her own food, but when me or my gf are eating she goes crazy. She will start batting with her paws, hissing and growling as soon as we have anything to eat!

I'm assuming it's something to do with fighting for food with her litter mates?

Can anyone offer advice as to how she could be trained out of this behavior?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Our youngest rescue is a little bit like that - she was feral for about 12 weeks, so obviously had to scrounge for food at the beginning.

All she thinks about is food - she'll eat pretty much anything. When we eat she hovers around constantly, trying to hit us to get at the food. Although she doesn't hiss or growl.

We free-feed all of ours so there is dry food there for her all day if she wants it. we tend to try to keep her away from us when we eat, and definitely never give her food from our plates (in saying that she's swiped a couple of things in the past).

I think the key is just to be patient with her, give her food in her bowl when you are eating and don't let her eat from your plate or feed her your food at the table. Anything you give her put into her bowl to eat.

I think she will calm down a bit, she just has to realise that she will always be fed, and doesn't have to fight for food.

Best of luck with her!

Advertisement