Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying for Medicine after 4 year degree: What route to take?

Options
  • 15-09-2013 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice as I'm in a real pickle.

I'm 23 and sat the LC in 2009, got somewhere around 420 points with a middle of the road HPAT score. I wanted to do Medicine, but ended up going into non-scientific degree in TCD for 4 years. I'm left with the crippling realisation that not only are there no jobs which satisfy me, I genuinely do not want to do it and still want to do Medicine.

Is my best bet to repeat the LC? I sat 7 subjects, including Chemistry and Biology, and sat Ordinary Maths. Is it possible to sit the LC again but select say, 3 subject results and add to the points i got in 2009?

Or should I resume study for the Gamsat, something I have just begun with an intention of sitting them in March 2014?

I've been genuinely very low for the past few years trying to make the best of Plan B, but I'm resolute now that what's done is in the past and I'm ready to go for Plan A again. I just would like some opinions as to what would be the most efficient means. The Gamsats seem to be a real 'down to luck on the day' endeavour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice as I'm in a real pickle.

I'm 23 and sat the LC in 2009, got somewhere around 420 points with a middle of the road HPAT score. I wanted to do Medicine, but ended up going into non-scientific degree in TCD for 4 years. I'm left with the crippling realisation that not only are there no jobs which satisfy me, I genuinely do not want to do it and still want to do Medicine.

Is my best bet to repeat the LC? I sat 7 subjects, including Chemistry and Biology, and sat Ordinary Maths. Is it possible to sit the LC again but select say, 3 subject results and add to the points i got in 2009?

Or should I resume study for the Gamsat, something I have just begun with an intention of sitting them in March 2014?

I've been genuinely very low for the past few years trying to make the best of Plan B, but I'm resolute now that what's done is in the past and I'm ready to go for Plan A again. I just would like some opinions as to what would be the most efficient means. The Gamsats seem to be a real 'down to luck on the day' endeavour.

Just from reading that i think you could have a go at repeating? and no.. you can't add points from different years,your points are received from one sitting,so you would have to repeat everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

It's a difficult decision to make at this stage. Sometimes you have to take (if you can get) what you're offered - this decision should have been made in 2009; biting the bullet to repeat the Leaving Cert.

However, if you are considering repeating the LC, then you'd need to resit all subjects you've done in 2009 (wouldn't be wise to take up something new, but it's an option) - points cannot be added between one year and another. Hypothetically, you could repeat one subject which hindered your access to a course (failing Maths e.g.), by just filling in the requirement for the chosen course/college.

Seeing that you're of mature age, which puts you in a select category - GAMSAT would be your best option, it's designated for people like yourself. Repeating the LC at this stage would be a tough decision to make without guarantee of success (points are through the roof and tough to get).

Give GAMSAT a run for its money and see what comes out of it - if you use the right strategies then you'll reap the rewards of your work. Otherwise, you would have to give up on the trail for Medicine entry. All of this is just advice.. do whatever you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Exo wrote: »
    Hypothetically, you could repeat one subject which hindered your access to a course (failing Maths e.g.), by just filling in the requirement for the chosen course/college.
    No, you can't ... Medicine is the exception to the rule, points and course requirements must come from the same sitting of the LC.

You might get better advice in the Gamsat & GEM forum, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nifty pineapple914

thanks folks, and for the redirection to that forum! I think LC repeat is too much work and expense for too much of a competitor pool, and I'll stick with Gamsat even though its difficult to know if my method of study and materials is correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Worriedmind

At 23 years old, can't you go to college as a 'mature student' regardless of leaving cert points?

Well worth looking into OP. I know guys who have taken this route for engineering, one of whom didn't have a leaving cert at all, but not sure if medicine applies in the same way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement