Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route for me into Postgrad Medicine?

• 15-09-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice as I'm in a real pickle.

I'm 23 and sat the LC in 2009, got somewhere around 420 points with a middle of the road HPAT score. I wanted to do Medicine, but ended up going into non-scientific degree in TCD for 4 years. I'm left with the crippling realisation that not only are there no jobs which satisfy me, I genuinely do not want to do it and still want to do Medicine.

Is my best bet to repeat the LC? I sat 7 subjects, including Chemistry and Biology, and sat Ordinary Maths. Is it possible to sit the LC again but select say, 3 subject results and add to the points i got in 2009?

Or should I resume study for the Gamsat, something I have just begun with an intention of sitting them in March 2014?

I've been genuinely very low for the past few years trying to make the best of Plan B, but I'm resolute now that what's done is in the past and I'm ready to go for Plan A again. I just would like some opinions as to what would be the most efficient means. The Gamsats seem to be a real 'down to luck on the day' endeavour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'd do the GAMSAT, I know a few people who've done it, including my girlfriend, and from what I can gather if you prepare for them then you can do well. There's plenty of resources out there including classes and stuff, some of them can be expensive, but if you want to be a doctor it could be worth the investment. You have plenty of time to prepare for them if they're in March.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you did the LC again would you not be going back into undergrad medicine rather than postgrad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nmcd17

If you do the LC you'll have to do the hpat test again. You'll have to do undergrad medicine and pay to do the course. You cannot add your points from you're old lc to the new one. You would have to do two years in school to repeat your leaving and do well. If you're prepared to do that, you should be well able to get the points.

Advertisement