Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a leaked copy, can I play it?

• 15-09-2013 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

My friend is good at all this stuff and basically I have a leaked copy of the game and a flashed xbox, but am I able to play it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

TheStook wrote: »
    My friend is good at all this stuff and basically I have a leaked copy of the game and a flashed xbox, but am I able to play it?

Assuming you mean by leaked as in downloaded from the internet. You'll than likely be banned off xbox live (console banned) for breaking their terms of service. From experience, it's not worth it! You can wait 2 days. I believe in you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I dunno, do you hide your IP address when posting on boards or do you like living on the edge when posting things like this? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Assuming you mean by leaked as in downloaded from the internet. You'll than likely be banned off xbox live (console banned) for breaking their terms of service. From experience, it's not worth it!

Yeah but how do they differentiate from people playing legit copys of the game and people playing downloaded copies? And f I appear offline how will they know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I smell a Gardi house raid ...

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

Your friend sounds like he fancies you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yeah but how do they differentiate from people playing legit copys of the game and people playing downloaded copies? And f I appear offline how will they know?

Trust me they know, no idea though. I went down the flashed xbox road years ago (Not condoning it) but you once signed back onto xbox live, you get a lovely message saying you've been banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Go for it....and invite us boards peeps for a game night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

You've waited this long already, can you not wait one more day for the real thing..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

I'm playing it right now. I haven't completed any missions yet but I have shot 4 cows, knocked a ladder from underneath a guy painting a building and rode 6 prostitutes.

I love this game. :D

Your friend sounds like he fancies you

I've given him money of course

• Advertisement

BNMC wrote: »
    I'm playing it right now. I haven't completed any missions yet but I have shot 4 cows, knocked a ladder from underneath a guy painting a building and rode 6 prostitutes.

I love this game. :D

Seriously? It'd be a lot easier to wait if I didnt have the damn disc right in front of me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

Doesn't that defeat the point of piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

You paid him for a pirated copy??

Just admit you fancy him.

Ah you mean bought it a mate that works for Gamestop/Xtravision. Dont play it, if its traced back someone will be getting the sack.

face1990 wrote: »
    You paid him for a pirated copy??

Just admit you fancy him.

Well I have no idea how to do it and the discs cost money

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

How long have you been seeing each other? Do you have late night game and beer sessions together? And how long do you think this relationship will last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Bepolite wrote: »
    Ah you mean bought it a mate that works for Gamestop/Xtravision. Dont play it, if its traced back someone will be getting the sack.

Haha. They can't trace individual copies back to the store they were sold in just by you putting the disc in. You're not dealing with MI5 here.

EGriff wrote: »
    Haha. They can't trace individual copies back to the store they were sold in just by you putting the disc in. You're not dealing with MI5 here.

Nope but they know which retailer and which territory. Depends on how mental they go at the retailer. Unlikely to be an issue but I've seen two lad sacked over less.

Nope but they know which retailer and which territory. Depends on how mental they go at the retailer. Unlikely to be an issue but I've seen two lad sacked over less.

Maybe from the barcode on the box, but not by MS or Sony reading the disc off your console. Not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

I sincerely hope you paid no more than 15E for that. 2x DL discs cost about 2E and then all he has to do is wait for the torrent to download.

You will most likely be banned though, but there's no way to know for sure. Discs have a verification process, and if your disc isn't verified correctly it's a massive red flag on MS system. Appearing offline will not do anything, you're still logged into Xbox Live.

I recommend making a new console account, don't register for XBL and keep your console offline for the whole time by disconnecting the WiFi/ethernet cable in order to be fully safe. If you go online, there is a big chance the whole console could be permanently banned.

I remember I pirated MW2, and around 98% of people who played online early got perm bans – I was lucky I mysteriously was not on the list, even the guy who flashed my Xbox was even banned himself. :p

So if you really can't wait, play it; but there's no saying either way if you'll get banned or not, it's a risk you have to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Of course you are. Your Xbox 360 has been flashed to play pirated games :pac: That's the whole point of flashing it, lol.

But do not connect to xbox live whilst playing the game. Microsoft will ban your console from xbox live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I sincerely hope you paid no more than 15E for that.

:eek: OP I hope you didn't pay more than €4/€5. Anyone more than that and your friend is ripping you off.

If you paid him with sexual favours, as I believe may be the case, 1 bj is a fair price.

face1990 wrote: »
    :eek: OP I hope you didn't pay more than €4/€5. Anyone more than that and your friend is ripping you off.

If you paid him with sexual favours, as I believe may be the case, 1 bj is a fair price.

I paid €3.

Maybe from the barcode on the box, but not by MS or Sony reading the disc off your console. Not a hope.

You don't know what you're talking about if you don't think they can track the retailer and territory.

The retailer can then find out themselves if a game has gone out of store before a realese date.

I agree it's unlikely - but as I say, I have personal experiance of tracking down which muppet has taken €50 for a AAA relase and let it go before release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Is chat like that allowed here? Or are the mods off playing a leaked version :p

Anyway I would never play a pirated Rockstar game I just feel like you owe them for the quality games they have :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Its tempting to download a copy and play offline, but i thought that a game this good (hopefully) deserves to be paid for maybe, especially when you are effectively only getting half the package without the offline part.

If you do play it soon come back and me know good/bad it is.

You don't know what you're talking about if you don't think they can track the retailer and territory.

The retailer can then find out themselves if a game has gone out of store before a realese date.

I agree it's unlikely - but as I say, I have personal experiance of tracking down which muppet has taken €50 for a AAA relase and let it go before release.

You originally said "don't play it as it can be traced back". Obviously then can tell if a copy is missing from the shop, that's a different issue. What they can't tell is where a copy came from just by seeing someone playing it signed into XBL or PSN. I'm afraid its you who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Anyway this is a pirated copy and there's hundreds of amazon copies out there already.

You originally said "don't play it as it can be traced back". Obviously then can tell if a copy is missing from the shop, that's a different issue. What they can't tell is where a copy came from just by seeing someone playing it signed into XBL or PSN. I'm afraid its you who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Anyway this is a pirated copy and there's hundreds of amazon copies out there already.

You're not actually reading what I wrote or understanding the process involved. I don't disagree with your final point however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Answer to this is: Stop being cheap and buy the Game. Support the Devs. Otherwise it's just warez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Unless they have scanned it through the till you have no idea of knowing who sold it, if you say otherwise you're just bull****ting.

Of course if someone logs on, scans the game through (which is usually impossible anyway as games usually can't scan before street date) and sells it before street date you can see who it is as it'll have their name on the transactions.

Each individual disc does not have a unique code or anything like that. You make it sound like it'd be complicated for a retailer to track down which employee sold it when that's not really the case at all.

Advertisement