Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which bank is the best?

Options
  • 15-09-2013 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I am from UK and taking a new job in Lexilip.

Never been to Ireland before, could anyone tell me which bank is the best for working personal?

Also, as a fresh postgraduate from the UK, can I open a graduate account in an Ireland bank? or it has to be the normal current account only?

Many thanks,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Define "best" for you.

What features do you need? What's important for you? Are you looking for a fee paying package, or one you can avoid fees with?

Generally, you would open a normal account. A PG account would be held with the bank you banked with during your college time (which, in this case, I would assume is in the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ro888

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Define "best" for you.

What features do you need? What's important for you? Are you looking for a fee paying package, or one you can avoid fees with?

Generally, you would open a normal account. A PG account would be held with the bank you banked with during your college time (which, in this case, I would assume is in the UK).

Thank you for your reply.

I am going to the account for daily banking, such as salary, bills and making local transfer and occasionally sending money to UK.

In the UK, there are graduate accounts, which is apply to those graduated from the universities.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Permanent TSB are great. You get free banking if you have €1500 or more going into your account per month. Their savings account have decent rates but better rates are available elsewhere.

Yup, if it's just an everyday current account then the permanent tsb option is probably the best on the market. €1500 inwards a month (i.e. salary) and no fees for most transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Do you have/need mobile phone insurance?

Do you know who your employer banks with?

• Advertisement

AltAccount wrote: »
    Do you have/need mobile phone insurance?

Do you know who your employer banks with?

To be honest, I don't need the add-on bit if they charge.

I believe my employer banks with Citibank, an odd one indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

ro888 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply.

I am going to the account for daily banking, such as salary, bills and making local transfer and occasionally sending money to UK.

In the UK, there are graduate accounts, which is apply to those graduated from the universities.

PTSB for current account.

However, don't use PTSB for a EUR to GBP transfer as they, like all other banks, will screw you on the FX rate. Instead us an online currency broker such as Transfer Mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You must be starting in HP. They have small part time AIB and Bank of Ireland branches on site, which are handy for non cash transactions.

JDxtra wrote: »
    You must be starting in HP. They have small part time AIB and Bank of Ireland branches on site, which are handy for non cash transactions.

No, I am at Intel, any clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Shoves

Intel have Bank of Ireland branch on site - OH works there.
    We're both with Permanent TSB and have free banking so I'd go with them. AFAIK all the other main banks charge for every transaction on current accounts.

• Advertisement

To be accurate, they all do (including ptsb) - some are just less onerous to avoid ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

BuffyBot wrote: »
    To be accurate, they all do (including ptsb)

Nope, there are no transaction fees with PTSB.

There are two main types of current account fees, (1) variable transaction fees and (2) fixed maintenance fees. PTSB does not charge day-to-day banking variable transaction fees period, which some other banks do. However, PTSB charge fixed maintenance fees if you do not lodge 1,500 EUR per month.

That's pretty much what I said - they do exist with ptsb, but are not onerous to avoid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Twix44

AIB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Not the bank of ireland anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Definitely not AIB, I set up my account with them some months ago after returning from the UK. I nearly fell of the chair when I saw that they had given themselves €33.00 as a quarterly charge.
    Can't amend direct debits online or over the phone, so had to go into the branch and their available balance is never up to date. My red face in the shop buying groceries is testament to that. So not really fit for purpose as a bank in my eyes.

I will be changing to PTSB tomorrow on the basis of this thread and friends advice.

Advertisement